• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbentley40

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well Cox just raised my damn bill $20, time to get more serious about finally cutting the cord. I guess I'll take it one step at a time, first step is figure out how to get all the local channels via digital antenna. Enough talk with no action on my part, enough is enough!

Question for those of you out there who have already cut the cord. I'm looking for advice on a good Outdoor antenna? I know based on my location I'm going to need a good outdoor antenna and when I try and search for reviews online what I'm finding out is the reviews seem to be different depending on the website. I'm finding it hard to find legit websites with impartial views, everyone seems to have their favorite.

I dont know anything about the outdoor antenna question.. but I did DirecTV NOW and I am happy with it. You still have to have decent internet obviously, but I get ABC, NBC, CBS as local channels and I can use the Fox NOW app with my DirecTV NOW login and get FOX too. So I have the 4 networks, ESPN, HGTV (for the wife) and other channels all with their cheapest plan. Works fine for me.

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We have, Netflix, Prime an outside antenna and Sling during football season.

Prime was mainly for the shipping since the SO loves to order stuff, and me too to a lesser extent. I am debating upgrading the outdoor antenna to a better one that isn't directional. Currently during football season we are not usually at a loss for something to watch in the evenings since Sling lets you stream a lot of past seasons of shows. I have found that the Sling ap quality varies a lot from different devices, on a windows computer it was terrible. Chomecast was not great but watchable. Browsing direct to Sling on a computer was pretty good. Fire Stick has been the best so far.

for outdoor antennas,

Mine is mounted on the high point of the gable of m roof and I get about 15 channels, depending on weather it varies some

Here is the one I currently have:
    https://smile.amazon.com/Range-Ampl..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=E8AZYAS3KNQWHD2NZ0GZ

It has worked fine, but the motor to turn it burned out the first time I used it. And no you do not get 150 mile range (at least me nor anyone else I have talked to has). I ended up setting it to the best direction for the most channels and have left it there ever since. I probably need to go up on the ladder and check it since the hurricane.

Here is the one I want.
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FZR8...olid=3M9ARN21S9MJ3&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Last edited:

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Im seriously considering cutting the cord. I have cox internet, a roku, and a firestik. But... 1. When I installed both the roku and firestik they asked for cable provinder pin or something like that. How can you get fox news on these devices without a cable provider? 2. With a digital antenna can you run the signal to multiple tv’s or only one? And if multiple can you watch different channels at the same time or is it one channel on multiple tv’s?

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    With an antenna, amplifier and splitter you should be able to send the antenna signal to multiple tvs and watch separate channels using each TV's tuner. At least that is what I have read while researching this myself.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I dont know anything about the outdoor antenna question.. but I did DirecTV NOW and I am happy with it. You still have to have decent internet obviously, but I get ABC, NBC, CBS as local channels and I can use the Fox NOW app with my DirecTV NOW login and get FOX too. So I have the 4 networks, ESPN, HGTV (for the wife) and other channels all with their cheapest plan. Works fine for me.

I think I'm going to give DirecTV Now a try. I have a digital antenna in a box in the garage but with plans to sell and move in the near future I don't think I'm going to go through the trouble of mounting a long range digital antenna on the roof. DirecTV Now will give you 105 channels (Need my sports & outdoor channels) including your local channels for $65 a month, that will save me $45 a month over what I'm paying Cox right now.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most of watch way too much TV. I use an outside antenna to get free TV and that is more than enough.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think I'm going to give DirecTV Now a try.

I still have a price-lock deal in place with Cox for Internet and cable that I'm satisfied with (for about another 10 months), but I've already researched options and have decided that if/when I cut the cable cord I'll be going with one of the DirecTV packages.

Saw this article today and thought it might be helpful to others thinking about cutting the cord... Best streaming TV services: Compare our top picks for cord-cutters

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Will be canceling Cox Cable TV at 9:00 and just keeping them for internet! Have tested DirecTV Now and enjoying it, ready to save $40 a month! My only worry was they didn't have the Fox local channel but was able to get it free by downloading Fox Now and logging in with my DirecTV login. Currently watching the Passage. After 9:00 we'll have DirecTV Now, Fox Now, Hulu and Netflix! Once Verizon rolls out 5G in our area Cox Cable for the data connection might be gone too!

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I had Direct TV when I was there, we lost signal with every storm and even if they were in the Gulf and not over us...good luck

Frank it's DirecTV NOW, no satellite, strictly internet based coming through my Fire TV Stick. They have several plans based on what channels you want, just Google DirecTV NOW. I've attached a screenshot of plan costs, if you go to the site you can see each plans channel lineup.

Attachments

• DirecTV NOW.JPG
      DirecTV NOW.JPG
      91.7 KB · Views: 126

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    AT&T is cutting the packages from five down to two and raising cost $10 a month for existing customers of Direct TV Now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    AT&T is cutting the packages from five down to two and raising cost $10 a month for existing customers of Direct TV Now

Interesting, well there's a lot of competition out there for Internet TV so if they get too expensive I'll change, no contract so no penalty. Attached is what they offer new customers. How does your monthly cost compare to the packages I posted on the previous page? I believe they raised the packages recently.

Attachments

• DirecTV Now.JPG
      DirecTV Now.JPG
      21.9 KB · Views: 152

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have 4 TV's, 2 computers, 1 fire tablet a fire and apple stick and 2 smart phones..they all stream so what to do?

Frank, you have to remember the streaming is per device at one time. In other words how many devices do you have going at any one time? I've already watched DirecTV NOW on my work computer, phone, home computer and home television in the living room at separate times. I currently never have a reason to have more than 2 devices streaming DirecTV NOW but if I do I'll just pay $5 more and get a 3rd stream. Having DirecTV NOW, Fox NOW, Hula, Netflix and Amazon Prime is all the TV I'll every need and don't think I'll have a problem with too many streams from one of the streaming services I have now! Lowered my cable bill from $196 to $93, hopefully when 5G comes to our area that price will go down even further!

Addition: Forgot to add one thing, when I called Cox to have them turn off the cable TV and just keep my internet on the guy told me I can download the Cox Contour App and watch my local channels for free. Depending on how well that works that opens up your online TV options since several of them were limited on local channels.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    3 or 4 I guess. my total bill is 200 a mo internet and cable. paying for amazon, hulu, fox, direct and netflix along with your $93, I assume mine would be withing $50 of that so not worth the hassle of changing my viewing. I hate the 200 a month, that is for sure but easier and complete. I am old and lazy, hard to change too. I have a firestick and still don't know how to use it

Top Bottom