• 14004783-0.jpg
      14004783-0.jpg
      58.4 KB · Views: 3,920

TrunkMonkay

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One question, why?

If I sell or buy a gun from private person, no reason to get one in my opinion.

It's a liability thing. If you sell a gun to a convicted felon and he gets caught with it, or worse, kills someone with it, and you don't have any sort of records of the sale or proof that you had no prior knowledge that he was a felon, then they can pin some criminal charges on you pretty easily.

Honestly, for something like this, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Especially if you're selling a firearm you purchased through an FFL.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One question, why?

If I sell or buy a gun from private person, no reason to get one in my opinion.

Same thing as buying one from a store. Just waives you of all liability. It's not a registration for a firearm. In that case no. It is to protect both the seller and buyer.

Last edited:

jmcote2010

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recommend using this with every local sale. ATF is actively seeking violators who sell and buy illegally or excessively. Be careful and cover your a**

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    They should sticky this so we can always find it great of you to post this same one I use

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just a suggestion, if someone is selling and expecting to use this form it would be nice to disclose it in the ad.
    I won't be giving anyone my DL number so if I know you expect it I won't even bother contacting you to buy. You are free to look at my ID, but I won't be copying it, or allowing the info from it to be taken by some random person I meet on the internet. There is enough identity theft out there already without me just handing over info to strangers.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just a suggestion, if someone is selling and expecting to use this form it would be nice to disclose it in the ad.
    I won't be giving anyone my DL number so if I know you expect it I won't even bother contacting you to buy. You are free to look at my ID, but I won't be copying it, or allowing the info from it to be taken by some random person I meet on the internet. There is enough identity theft out there already without me just handing over info to strangers.

You don't have to put your DL. It was just the only one I could find with all the disclosures etc. Just thought yall might like it handy.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I'm not bashing but its still not notarized, so it's good for crap. Maybe if there was a third party witness?

Any lawyers care to comment?

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not bashing but its still not notarized, so it's good for crap. Maybe if there was a third party witness?

Any lawyers care to comment?

A signed document by both parties is a binding document. Sort of like signing a lease for an apartment.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer.

jmcote2010

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A document does not need to be notarized to be valid. A verbal agreement to purchase/sell is even technically valid.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks for the clarification. Now that leads me to wonder why certain documents have to be notarized if a regular signing is already binding. But that's a different topic.

I signed one homemade form for a seller once. Probably would sign another one if it was a good deal.

Last edited:

kaferhaus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    There's too much "internet BS" about buying and selling guns from individuals and the "bill of sale" issue.

You're only breaking the law if you have knowledge of the buyers ineligibility to buy own or posses a firearm. You have only broken the law if you buy a firearm if you have knowledge that it is stolen.

The law requires that "intent" be proven in these cases and you cannot be found guilty of them without evidence that you knew or should have known the gun was stolen or the buyer was ineligible. Should have known would fall into the realm of buying a gun for a small fraction of it's true value.... that's a big hint that something isn't right.

What others do I care not. What I do is ask the seller if he's the original owner of the gun... if he says no, I ask how he came to own it. Now unless he tells me it's stolen or his answer would lead a reasonable person to believe it to be then we're good to go and my bases are covered.

When selling a gun I usually ask about other guns the buyer might own etc. I always ask if there is any law that prohibits his owning firearms (unless I know the person...). Once they say no, I'm good.

I don't sign bills of sale nor do I offer them.

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

i agree. im not giving out all that info to some yahoo i dont know. if its gonna be like buying from a store, ill buy from a store. atf cant crack down on shit if your not doing anything illegal. that paper doesnt make a private party gun sale more legal. if im that concerned about it i wont be dealing with the person anyways. the one ive signed before just had my name and the gun make, model and serial number.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There's too much "internet BS" about buying and selling guns from individuals and the "bill of sale" issue.

You're only breaking the law if you have knowledge of the buyers ineligibility to buy own or posses a firearm. You have only broken the law if you buy a firearm if you have knowledge that it is stolen.

The law requires that "intent" be proven in these cases and you cannot be found guilty of them without evidence that you knew or should have known the gun was stolen or the buyer was ineligible. Should have known would fall into the realm of buying a gun for a small fraction of it's true value.... that's a big hint that something isn't right.

What others do I care not. What I do is ask the seller if he's the original owner of the gun... if he says no, I ask how he came to own it. Now unless he tells me it's stolen or his answer would lead a reasonable person to believe it to be then we're good to go and my bases are covered.

When selling a gun I usually ask about other guns the buyer might own etc. I always ask if there is any law that prohibits his owning firearms (unless I know the person...). Once they say no, I'm good.

I don't sign bills of sale nor do I offer them.

Well when dealing with fraudsters all day everyday and see how great they are when it comes to knowing information. Take it for what it is worth. Just backs you up in the end if someone ever lies to you. Just my .2cents not everyone tells the lies.

Last edited:

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe it's the buyers responsobility to maintain the legality in a private sale. I could ask for DL, SS card, or whatever and ask the buyer to sign this or that, but ultimately, if he or she buys a weapon and they're a felon or under indictment, it's on them. There again, if someone showed up for a transaction and I was at all suspicious that there was hanky panky, no sale.

Top Bottom