• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have used that template for a sale, but I was wondering if there was one for a trade.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is the personal choice of the buyer and seller. Is it required by FED Law for private transactions? No.

Lets say during a traffic stop, you have in your possession a gun and LE runs the serial #. It comes back as stolen. You say I bought it last year and have no written record of the purchase. You have a major problem.

If a gun used in a crime tracks to you, you say I sold it last year and have no writter record of the sale, go fish. This may not end their inquiry regarding you.

If its not a word of mouth sale, there will be a paper or Net trail if you simply keep a copy of the ad, communications, phone # called and messages. Its always wise to ask for serial # and run a check if you have the ability to do so. Always check the serial # received matches the # on the gun. CYA without a BOS.

I don't generally do BOS. I may make an exception as a buyer for a really good deal but the only info I will provide is my CWL #, my info is restricted from public access. Some people want to take a pic of your ID: NO. All they see is the pic and #, personal info is covered up. Most sellers communicate their preference in the ad but if the BOS is a deal breaker for either party: address it BEFORE it meet up. I don't recall a single Review where a deal went sour because of someone's insistance in completing a BOS.

DoubleDee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When using the Bill of Sale does a notarized bill of sale carry any weight or is it unnecessary? Thanks.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Notary is unnecessary, you don't need notary for a vehicle BOS/title change of possession. If you want formal documentation on a firearm Sale the proper route is to us a FFL. That will add NICS also.

DoubleDee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Notary is unnecessary, you don't need notary for a vehicle BOS/title change of possession. If you want formal documentation on a firearm Sale the proper route is to us a FFL. That will add NICS also.
    Unnecessary. Good enough. Thanks. I want to keep it simple.

Plinkin5

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What happens if you buy a gun, don't get a bill of sale, drive away and the seller then reports the gun stolen?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I guess there's two side to every story. There probably was some type ad to sell, Forum postings, email, phone calls, some linkage between you two. Same thing if your actually sold a gun that someone else stole even if the gun has been sold several times before you get it. Or you resell it and the buyer gets tagged with a stolen gun, the Buck stopes where the evidence stops. You will more than likely loose the gun and your money but avoid a Theft, Rob or Receiving stolen property charge. Gun would hopefully get back to the rightful owner. It makes no sense for a legit property owner to file a stolen gun/property report unless he is trying to coverup something else.

Now, if someone tried to steal a gun during a transaction, that person would likely bleed a lot. Not just from the Seller but the sellers "Armed Backup" person that is covering his Six, discreetly and not standing around the transaction.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Does the buyer outwardly appear to be 21 ??
    Does he tell you that he is buying the gun for his neighbor??
    Does he start telling you stories about prison life ??
    Does he appear to be of "sound mind" ??
    - - -> THEN - - -> gimme the money,and here's your gun,and have a wonderful day.
    I am not a FFL,a member of ATF,or a licensed psychologist/psychiatrist. --- SAWMAN

Chuckchain

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    When I bought my gun from the shop they told me they could process a private sale. This is the only way I'd feel safe with a sale. Is this a typical way to do it? Anyone who has gone this route; did it cost you anything extra for this service? (I imagine the bg check would still have to be paid of course)

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I bought my gun from the shop they told me they could process a private sale. This is the only way I'd feel safe with a sale. Is this a typical way to do it? Anyone who has gone this route; did it cost you anything extra for this service? (I imagine the bg check would still have to be paid of course)
    FFLs will charge a Transfer fee which varies by shop, could be low $20s to $45+, The $5 NICS is added to that. If its solely for you comfort level you going to pay the Tab, split it or Buyer pays? Some folks don't want to do a deal in a parking lot either. As the "Seller" you make it a requirement in your Sale Ad or not. At this time Fl does not have a Universal Background Check Law, so NICS isn't required for a private sale WITHIN Fl. Private Sales across State Lines Requires a FFL at delivery to Buyer at a minimum.

Some potential buyers don't want the hassel of going to a FFL, operation hours and days limited. Others prefer no or minimal info exchange because lawful private sales are none of the Govs business. Some won't buy just because If bill of sale required. Some "Buyers" want a B.O.S. to cover their butt if the firearm was stolen or traces to crime during prior ownership. Buy and sell in the manner that makes you comfortable. As you get more exposure, you can always make changes.

GCGF Members may have Buyer/Seller Reviews you can look at. If BubbaGump26 has several great transaction Reviews stating he is great to deal with, on time, no problems; it may reduce your concerns from using a FFL to a B.O.S. is good enough.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I feel like I need a bill of sale, then I’m not buying or selling to you. It’s just not that important to me ,some of the members here try to make a business out of a hobby. I’ll Refuse To do a deal with anyone for any reason or no reason at all. If I get the slightest hint that something isn’t right. So that would eliminate me doing business with a few of the more prolific traders, even though they are probably good guys otherwise.

RickG

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's a liability thing. If you sell a gun to a convicted felon and he gets caught with it, or worse, kills someone with it, and you don't have any sort of records of the sale or proof that you had no prior knowledge that he was a felon, then they can pin some criminal charges on you pretty easily.

Honestly, for something like this, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Especially if you're selling a firearm you purchased through an FFL.
    They cannot "pin charges on you pretty easily" in such a case.
    In any event I will not make the job of the surveillance state any easier:

When I sell a firearm I will do the absolute egal minimum.
    Check if he is a FL resident and that's it.

Top Bottom