Target Sports

Ideas on How to Write a GOOD For Sale Ad !

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seems like some are not familar with how a good sale ad should be formed. I understand some may be new to this and may have no experiance, maybe we can help with some helpful ideas???

#1 READ The Forum Rules and abide by them.

#2 Pictures are always a plus and you MUST use photobucket or RESIZE them to load here on this forum.

#3 Settle on a reasonable fair price if you want to sell the item, most folks arn't stupid and will research for going prices, and these are not the highest ones you see on gun broker, there are sold sections where you can see what they are actually selling for around the country, or guide books to see national values due to condition.
    Personally I would rather see a reasonable price with FIRM after it that a high hopes price with "OBO" this is redundant and indicates you are willing to take less, and let the auction begin. People like to bargin / haggle some, so don't get offended by lower offers, JUST SAY NO THANK YOU ! if you don't want to accept, it is just that easy.

#4 State your location and contact info clearly and the harder you make it to contact you the less likely you are to make a sale.

#5 Make sure the item is in good working condition or state otherwise, and describe it to the best of your ability. The more info you post in origional ad, the less question you will have to field later.
    As in a gun ad, folks will want to know the BRAND NAME, CALIBER , MODEL NUMBER, FINISH, BARREL LENGTH, FURNITURE, SIGHTS, OPTIONS / ACCESORIES INCLUDED, and overall condition IE: rounds fired or usage wear, scratches and dents.

I am sure others will give some great pointers also and hope this will help some, as it will surely help any interested buyers. Thank you.

Sorry for hijacking your post, TraderDan, but this needs to be seen as well.

It really helps us moderators out if you close your own for sale thread when the item has sold. It's as easy as clicking the "Close Thread" box when posting a reply.

CloseThread_zps0b2f1693.jpg

Thanks,
    TennJeep1618

Last edited by a moderator:

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I think some people don't realize what bargains are out there right now.
    They think because they paid $500 a year ago then it should be worth $450 now when there are on-line dealers selling the same gun NIB for $325.
    I've seen some insane prices lately. I guess since everybody stocked up during the panic, nobody is buying now.
    Go out to Florida Gun Trader if you want to see some crazy inflated asking prices. It's amazing what free ads will do to some people.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    #2 Pictures. Good quality pictures, no shadowy garbage. And most of all keep your bleepin bleep bleep feet out of the bleepin pictures. Makes me want to....................

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Y'all remember that ad with the picture of the big shirtless guy holding his rifle on Armslist, about a year and a half ago? That was awesome!

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let me add something here, even if it's a Glock and most everyone knows a 17 and 19 are 9mm, include the caliber anyway. I don't know how many times I've looked up model numbers to see what the caliber is of a particular model...

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have passed on adds that do not have enough info. I(we)should not have to GOOGLE everything about the weapon or other device offered for sale. If you do not know the particulars about the weapon you are selling how the eff do you come up with a price for it ?? Should the buyer have to tell you what you actually have in your hand ??

When selling a long gun the length of bbl is important to most. So is the other stuff mentioned in the above. Same with a pistol. Especially the S&W's.

The absolute worse thing (IMO)that I see here is: You got a gun for sale. You have to sell it to "fund another project"" or your little 4 year old girl needs a lung transplant. --> THEN !! You follow this up by stating that you will accept trades. Guns,lawnmowers,bass boats,tickets to the coming hippity hop concert. Please don't show your ass by doing this.

Provide the location of the sale item. If you will travel state it. Same ... if you will not. I had a guy not long ago that wanted to guy a gun that I had for sale. He wanted to know if I would meet him at the halfway mark. I said "sure". Then he sez that he lives in Tallahassee.

COMMUNICATE freely with the buyer/seller. Exact times,dates,where,what vech to look for,all should be discussed. Meet somewhere semi private. At the front row handicapped parking spot,on Sunday AM,in the parking lot of Marcus Point Baptist Church should be a no-no. So should be in the woods at night.

Bottom line ........ common sense should prevail. Then the "do onto others..." thing should be remembered also. Represent the weapon honestly. Be a man of your word. On the open forum,an "I'll take it" should be the same as a handshake. If it is not .... PLEASE do not respond to any of my adds. --- SAWMAN

Reactions: mal

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have passed on adds that do not have enough info. I(we)should not have to GOOGLE everything about the weapon or other device offered for sale. If you do not know the particulars about the weapon you are selling how the eff do you come up with a price for it ?? Should the buyer have to tell you what you actually have in your hand ??

When selling a long gun the length of bbl is important to most. So is the other stuff mentioned in the above. Same with a pistol. Especially the S&W's.

The absolute worse thing (IMO)that I see here is: You got a gun for sale. You have to sell it to "fund another project"" or your little 4 year old girl needs a lung transplant. --> THEN !! You follow this up by stating that you will accept trades. Guns,lawnmowers,bass boats,tickets to the coming hippity hop concert. Please don't show your ass by doing this.

Provide the location of the sale item. If you will travel state it. Same ... if you will not. I had a guy not long ago that wanted to guy a gun that I had for sale. He wanted to know if I would meet him at the halfway mark. I said "sure". Then he sez that he lives in Tallahassee.

COMMUNICATE freely with the buyer/seller. Exact times,dates,where,what vech to look for,all should be discussed. Meet somewhere semi private. At the front row handicapped parking spot,on Sunday AM,in the parking lot of Marcus Point Baptist Church should be a no-no. So should be in the woods at night.

Bottom line ........ common sense should prevail. Then the "do onto others..." thing should be remembered also. Represent the weapon honestly. Be a man of your word. On the open forum,an "I'll take it" should be the same as a handshake. If it is not .... PLEASE do not respond to any of my adds. --- SAWMAN

I've learned more than a few people seem to have missed the common sense bus when they were being raised! Very good advice everyone, we needed a thread like this!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I think most of the people who have 50 posts have most of the above figured out, so there should be a rule you cannot use the Firearms for sale section till you have 50 posts. Many forums do this considering it is a privilege to be able to use the section not a right as a first time poster. Most of the problem we have with sales are from noobs. This forum is the opposite fearing they may miss out on a deal but it causes more problems for the members than it helps and they are the ones that make this a great forum.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think pics of the actual weapon should be a requirement. I can look up stock photos all day. I want to see the scratches on "your" gun. Plus it saves time in that you don't travel somewhere just to be disappointed. There's no excuse these days for not being able to post a pic. If you have access to this forum, you have the ability to post a pic. Can't figure it out? Ask for help. It's no big deal and someone will instruct you or post pics for you. I have no problem doing that if I see someone needs assistance. Other than that I agree with what everyone else has said.

Oh, and don't put NIB when it's been fired. But that's a whole different thread lol

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think most of the people who have 50 posts have most of the above figured out, so there should be a rule you cannot use the Firearms for sale section till you have 50 posts. Many forums do this considering it is a privilege to be able to use the section not a right as a first time poster. Most of the problem we have with sales are from noobs. This forum is the opposite fearing they may miss out on a deal but it causes more problems for the members than it helps and they are the ones that make this a great forum.

NO Frank we dont need anymore rules here. And NO Deersniper im not willing to lose for sale opportunities because they cant get a pic loaded. Quit being crabby patties!

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    NO Frank we dont need anymore rules here. And NO Deersniper im not willing to lose for sale opportunities because they cant get a pic loaded. Quit being crabby patties!

Fine instead of required, highly recommended and encouraged lol

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

LOL coming from Mr. "safety second" and the guy who has been kicked off more forums than anyone else, that is Choice...lol
    Love ya Stan, just a difference of opinion!

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

This is the one that really gets under my skin. Too many people are afraid they aren't going to get in on a deal, post "I'll take it" and then back out. How many times have we seen a gun relisted after saying SPF ?
    If I was a mod, the person who backed out would be kicked off the forum. In a related theme, it's rude when somebody posts that they are interested and maybe asks a question such as "What part of town are you in ?" and a minute later somebody jumps in and says
    "I'll take it !"
    To me, the proper etiquette would be "I'll take it if Bob doesn't." I just hate rude people and it seems to be getting to be the norm amongst the younger crowd.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Since this has turned into a bit of an open rant, so I'll pitch in.
    Whether it be ammo, guns or anything else, and they're shown in a case, please include the case unless you specifically state otherwise. Not because cases are expensive, but because of the inconvenience of having to go buy it immediately after the deal.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL coming from Mr. "safety second" and the guy who has been kicked off more forums than anyone else, that is Choice...lol
    Love ya Stan, just a difference of opinion!

Ill have u know it was only 2 forums ever. And they were my first 2 ever. And this was the 3rd forum for me and still going. And the second one was "gulf coast fishing connection" and the owner had said since i bought multiple pitchers of beer at the meet days before i had temporary immunity and then banned me when didnt like what i said > Now that is shaddy and he should be punched in the nuts for lying over beer!!!

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Here's a potentially ambiguous one for me:
    I list good deals because I want them to move quickly so, I'll try to remember to write; "First, I'll take it, gets it" so then someone comes along asking questions about it and saying he's got cash in hand, and continues messaging back and forth, kicking the tires essentially. Meanwhile, someone comes around and says "I'll take it" then the tire kicker gets upset because he missed out due to his hesitation. If I say I need an "I'll take it" that's exactly what I mean, heck after a little negotiating, even a "deal" will suffice, but without that, it's still for sale. Maybe I was wrong?

Top Bottom