• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What are the plans for the car? Engine, suspension, transmission, resto-mod?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I had a 78 Z28, my first car decades ago. Wish I would have kept it when I enlisted. Might wanna check on the year, I'm noy 100 percent sure of the year but I think Chevy did a major body style change in 1980. You might kave a 70's model there.

I just checked the VIN and it's a 1980 RS model. I know the hood isn't original, so there might be other non-original parts as well.

Tenn once you get down hear ill defiantly be in to help I love working on pony cars. Also and LS1 and T56 would be an awesome swap, I just wouldn't let the wife know how much that would cost haha.
    what size V6 does it have?

229ci V6, I was very up front with my wife from the start. I told here we were probably looking at $12K at the absolute minimum to get it back where I'd like to see it.

Now all you gotta do is shave that beard and grow a mullet. Call that thing the Panty Dropper

I'll take that into consideration.

You need one of these, makes it go faster.

That's at the top of my list!

Well there goes your gun money, I would have passed myself.

Then it's a good thing I'm not you, because then I wouldn't have a fun project car. I'll still have gun money and it's quite alright to have multiple hobbies.

I'm down for some drivetrains help, no paint and body though

Thanks, BigDaddy!

What are the plans for the car? Engine, suspension, transmission, resto-mod?

As of right now, I'm thinking LS1 (either 5.3L or 5.7L, depending on what I can find for a reasonable price) and T56 swap. As far as suspension, I'm going to inspect everything to determine condition. I'm thinking I will leave most of it in the stock configuration for now, replacing and possibly upgrading a few things here and there as needed.

Other than that, I'm going to start writing down my "plans" to make sure I don't start going in two different directions in the middle of the project.

Yep, Would be a good project if you were retired and had more time. Good looking car. Gotta upgrade the V6!!!

V6 will definitely be replaced with something bigger. I know it's going to take a lot of time, but I'm really looking forward to it.

It's not the most ideal project car, but it has sentimental value to my wife's family. I'm honored that my mother-in-law is willing to completely turn it over to me and let me do what I want with it. I've wanted a project car to fix up for over 10 years, but I've kept putting it off. Then this one basically fell into my I'm really excited about it.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As of right now, I'm thinking LS1 (either 5.3L or 5.7L, depending on what I can find for a reasonable price) and T56 swap.

Going to fuel injection will be expensive, you will need a PCM, wiring harness, and a electric fuel pump just to start. A good AC Delco fuel pump will run $300-$500 and don't get a cheap fuel pump or you will be sorry get a AC Delco. Good luck with the project and if you need any help let me know.

wld1985

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Always Fun.. My Buddy bought a 59 ( I think) Mercury... Pretty neat looking old car needs a good re-do, He also picked up 2 older T-Birds..

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    itll be filled back up soon enough.

You are correct, sir. But hopefully next time it will be full of car parts, not random accumulated junk. The good thing is now I have a shed in the back yard to keep all the outdoor and bulky stuff.

As soon as I get the compressor hooked up and buy a welder, I should be ready to start tearing into the car.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, I checked out the Camero. Here we are 6 months later from the last post and over a year since the first. What have you been up to with it?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So, I checked out the Camero. Here we are 6 months later from the last post and over a year since the first. What have you been up to with it?

jakec was correct. A bunch of crap is piled around the Camaro right now. I've been busy shooting a bunch for the last several months, so I haven't started working on it yet. I'm slowing down on shooting so many matches for the next couple months, so I plan on getting started cleaning it out and up over the winter.

The shed is getting organized this weekend (possibly spilling over to next weekend, depending on how much we're able to get done this weekend) with racks and hooks for lots of things and lots of shelves for the rest. Once the shelves are built, most of what's still in the garage will be able to go out in the shed. The compressor still isn't hooked up and I don't have a welder yet. I think once I actually start on it, I'll get the bug and want to get it finished.

I was really excited about the project once I found out about getting it, but I had started shooting competitively by the time I actually got it in my possession and the shooting took priority. Hopefully I'll start getting excited about it again soon.

Last edited:

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    They say the average project car restoration takes about 7 years to complete. Unless you pay somebody to fix it, but thats not much fun. I would say this is true, I have a '70 monte carlo that I got in August of 2012. It has been completely gutted with all the interior and every wire removed. I'm just now getting to where I can start planning to put it back together. During the process, I've had newborn baby and a couple job changes, so that definitely slows the process. Just finished building a 24'x 30' shop in the backyard for this project. Hopefully the electrical will be done next week so I can get to work on it. I'm ready to hear my 388 stroker run again

Top Bottom