• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I need to make some Target Stands and looking for some clever Ideas. I have seen most of the PVC and 2 x 2's configureations, and more than likely will try to go with a metal and wood combo.???????????????????????????????????????????????

Fishinspot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm tying to figure out the same thing for my range. I'd like to do metal. I think the PVC will get tore up. Thinking of a shooting tree and some automatic targets that reset but I'm trying to write out all the materials I need to do it. I'll post up if I can get some results

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is attempt #1 & 2 If they hold up to hammering into the ground, they should be good to go for a while.

Attachments

• Picture 1812.jpg
      Picture 1812.jpg
      54.4 KB · Views: 490
    • Picture 1815.jpg
      Picture 1815.jpg
      48.3 KB · Views: 488
    • Picture 1813.jpg
      Picture 1813.jpg
      62.2 KB · Views: 447

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have made a bunch of stands out of 3/4" metal conduit pipe. Cheap and easy to work with.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was trying to make one without a big footprint, so it would be easy to load / unload and still not blow over with a little wind.
    Good idea with the conduit, how do you attach it to a base? Do you make it where it comes apart for transport or making them for a permenant setting?

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here are the ones that I showed you in the back of the pathfinder when I stopped by last week, these aren't for hanging paper, but they do work pretty well for the plates that I got from wideners.

I used 1/2" Rebar, bent it into the hoop shape (I wanted square corners but that wasn't happening) then welded on 12" sections 8" up each leg to allow you to stop it into the ground.

To hang the targets I cut a chain link into a C shape and welded it onto the crossbar section and bolted the targets to a piece of chain and hung it on the hook.

I also picked up some 3/8 rebar and am working on some hangers for smaller circular plates that I have yet to order, they are just an piece of rebar with a crossbar at the bottom to stomp the protruding piece into the ground, and a crossbar at the top to hang the plate from, the 3/8" should wobble and shake pretty good when you hit it and make things pretty interesting.

Initially I tried to weld a bolt to the back of the plate, but my little welder couldn't penetrate the plates. I also had them hanging from strips of old mud flap, which didn't work either, the lead spray destroyed one of them in very short order, so I just replaced them with chain and put some extra sections of chain in my bag just in case.

photo 1 (10).jpg

photo 2 (13).jpg

photo 3 (8).jpg

Attachments

• photo 1 (10).jpg
      photo 1 (10).jpg
      247.4 KB · Views: 452
    • photo 2 (13).jpg
      photo 2 (13).jpg
      260.3 KB · Views: 450
    • photo 3 (8).jpg
      photo 3 (8).jpg
      272.6 KB · Views: 488

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea I got to make me a couple Gongs, prob should redo my dueling tree also.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was trying to make one without a big footprint, so it would be easy to load / unload and still not blow over with a little wind.
    Good idea with the conduit, how do you attach it to a base? Do you make it where it comes apart for transport or making them for a permenant setting?

Take a 10' conduit stick. Bend it so it has 2 4' legs and a 2' wide top. The pipe will kink..part of the plan. Run a bead across the bottom of the kinked area to hold the 90. Cut 45° angles on the bottom of the legs and drill a 1/2" hole in each leg 10" up from the point. Put 1/2x5" bolts through the holes for something to kick down on and tack them in place. Attach target backing with large binder clips from Walmart. Done.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Downside on the ones I made is they are a little too heavy to tote more than 1 or two at a time , it makes the 100 yard walk a bit too much to enjoy. They were sturdy and held up to pounding into ground, and the wind didn't even budge them . I made one to hold 12 skeet but it will take a bit more tweeking.

Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    native Arizonan, moved ot panhandle 2 years ago, l
    I made some of these up using 1 1/2" PVC, four "T"s and a bit of straight pipe, nothing to it. Either material you use, metal or PVC won't hold up well to bullet impact if the sides are high like the one shown in the other post. Mine won't work worth a shit for hanging metal gongs on, bur are the cats ass for using cardboard targets. All you'll ever have to replace is the 1"X2"s if you make to many poor hits to the side and hit wood, but 1"X2"s are dirt cheap compared to angle iron and welding rod. I can get half a dozen of these in the trunk of a small car.

Last edited:

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That does seem to be one of the most popular ideas I have seen , but you still have to weigh them down or spike them to keep from blowing over.
    I have to try MOA's idea too, that may be a winner.

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i just stand empty beer cans on a cinder block. if its windy fill them with sand. if im feeling real fancy ill hang old pots and pans i get from garage sales on a stick stuck in the berm.

DrifterFisher

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use the ends of old bunk beds frames, but they are buried in the ground and stay on the lane. I'd guess you could make removable feet for them..

DWT

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My shooting buddies gather up the wire-framed election signs, after the elections, of course. Just staple the target over the political lies displayed on the sign.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My shooting buddies gather up the wire-framed election signs, after the elections, of course. Just staple the target over the political lies displayed on the sign.

I have a friend that ran for political office. I got a bunch of his after the election (he lost). Turned them around backwards and put the targets on the blank side. Still managed a few head shots though.

rockb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That does seem to be one of the most popular ideas I have seen , but you still have to weigh them down or spike them to keep from blowing over.
    I have to try MOA's idea too, that may be a winner.

I use something similar but instead of having legs at 90 I have larger pieces of PVC inserted into the ground and then the target frame legs slide straight into them. Makes it easy to put in the ground and easy to take out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom