• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wanted to start this thread so people can ask any reloading related question without starting a new thread for every question, mods you might want to make this a sticky. I will start with the first question. What is the best reloading manual to buy?

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    There is no best manual.

I've got a bakers dozen and am always looking for more as new powders and cartridges come out.

If I could only have one, I'd be in trouble.

All that being said, I would start with the latest Lyman manual and build from there...

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I recommend people start with the Lyman 49th(current) manual. It's got lots of good "how and why" info up front. It doesn't have a ton of load data, so I also recommend the Lee 2nd Edition.

Individual powder manufacturer's data is also good and it can typically be found online.

Good topic, Stag. I'll make it a sticky.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recommend people start with the Lyman 49th(current) manual. It's got lots of good "how and why" info up front. It doesn't have a ton of load data, so I also recommend the Lee 2nd Edition.

Individual powder manufacturer's data is also good and it can typically be found online.

Good topic, Stag. I'll make it a sticky.

^^^this^^^

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As far as a manual, the Lyman 49th as mentioned above.

As far as using them for load data, I have the Hornady, Sierra, Barnes and the Lyman book and plan on picking up more when I find them on sale. I find that even the same grain bullets in different manufacturers have different recommended charges and OAL recommendations and also offer different powder suggestions (which I'm sure would work visa/versa). This allows me to compare different powders across the books and take an educated guess if the powder is not listed in one book but there is a powder that is in both.

The powder websites offer good general load data but don't usually cover a vast array of bullets. Between the powder load data sites and the books, I can usually work up a load that gets me where I want to be.

Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm no expert

For just load data I recommend the caliber specific paper backs you can order from midway. They compile data from all the big loading manuals for each caliber. They don't have how and why, just powder/bullet info

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm a beginner and over the last few years picked up these books in order: ABC's of Reloading 7th Edition (there is a newer one now), Modern Reloading 2nd Edition (Lee) and lastly the book I picked up last week the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th ed. My next book will be the Lyman reloading book and I'm set for a while. Lots of info, have a neighbor friend mentoring me and have shot a bunch of my reloads with no issues...

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have an older version of "The ABC's of Reloading" 5th Edition By Dean Grennell, which I really like.
    After that there is a new author (C. Rodney James) and publisher.
    Anybody have both versions?

Tyler2142

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a question. Ive reloaded thousands of rounds on a Lee single stage press and I feel its time to move up in the world but I cant decide whether to go to a turret press or go straight to a progressive system. I reload mostly 9mm, 40, 45acp, and 357 mag but may start reloading 223 in the near future. What are some things I should consider to help make the decision?

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am also debating on which press I should for my first press a single stage or a turret. I am definitely not buying a progressive, too much going on at one time for me.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I am also debating on which press I should for my first press a single stage or a turret. I am definitely not buying a progressive, too much going on at one time for me.

After starting on a single stage myself, I recommend starting on a turret if you plan on doing any handgun cartridges. You can remove the auto-rotating mechanism and use it just like a single stage, but it still has the capability of reloading much faster than a single stage.

The only time I wouldn't recommend a turret is if you were only doing rifle rounds or were planning on doing a lot of LARGE rifle rounds. Most single stage presses are stronger and will hold up better for that kind of reloading.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a question. Ive reloaded thousands of rounds on a Lee single stage press and I feel its time to move up in the world but I cant decide whether to go to a turret press or go straight to a progressive system. I reload mostly 9mm, 40, 45acp, and 357 mag but may start reloading 223 in the near future. What are some things I should consider to help make the decision?

A turret press is a fairly inexpensive way to greatly increase your speed and is also very versatile, IMO. I don't have any personal experience with a progressive press, but it should increase your speed enormously. The main drawback to a progressive is price, but sometime the space required and lack of versatility can also be a factor.

For me, a turret press works best because I load everything from bulk handgun to precision rifle rounds and I also need to use my bench for other things. I mounted my Lee classic turret to a piece of 3/4" plywood and use knob handle bolts and t-nuts to secure it to the bench when I need it.

And BTW, I don't consider myself a reloading expert by any means. Please take what I say with a grain of salt.

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Consider how many rounds you will make at a time. If you are making 50-100 go with a turret. If making 400-500 then go with a progressive as it saves time. If you reload just for the joy of making precise ammo and not for the quantity then either keep the single stage or go with the turret. Progressive presses take more time and precision to set up, and are a pain if not set up correctly.

You did good but learning on a single stage. A single stage will always have a place on your bench for reloading rifle ammo. Unlike some people I would not even try to reload -06 or 7mm Mag on a turret or progressive. Hell I won't even reload 223 on a progressive although a lot of folks do. But that's just me.

Idoono

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like some have said if you load alot of handgun ammo go with a progressive, I am a dillion fan all the way and think it is the only loader made. 400 rounds an hour with no problem. Can't imagine loading that much on a single stage. By the same token a dillon is pricey but wortth it I think. Truth is you can spend as much as you want or go cheaper and spend more time with it and maybe get fun out of it.

With that all said I think I will start out with a single stage for 223 becaue I wont be shooting 2 or 3 hundred rounds when I shoot and can make diffrent loads to try alot easyer. Have fun and shoot more.

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love my Lee Classic Cast with the hornady lock n load adaptor but I've got another hornady press so that's why I'm using it. The breech lock system from lee is nice too and allows you to swap dies quickly. I thought the lower price of Lee would result in lesser quality but I've changed my mind on that. Lee makes some fine products and they stand behind them.

I am finishing up a small batch of .308 on the lee and will be uploading a video of the complete process later tonight.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm sorry, but what is the difference between a turret and a progressive? Apparently the turret is multifunction, but does not rotate or auto feed components?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm sorry, but what is the difference between a turret and a progressive? Apparently the turret is multifunction, but does not rotate or auto feed components?

The simplest way I know to describe it is that a turret has a single shell holder and the dies rotate to perform all the functions inline with the shell holder. A progressive has multiple shell holders that rotate around to meet the dies mounted above. Basically, you have to pull the handle multiple times to get a complete round of ammo on a turret press, whereas you complete a new round (along with doing all other functions to the other pieces of brass) every time you pull the handle on a progressive.

A turret can be used without auto-rotation, so it basically turns into a single stage. AFAIK, a progressive will rotate every time the handle is pulled.

Does that make sense?

I didn't watch this video, but I'm sure it explains things much better than I can:

Top Bottom