• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    When I was loading the 577/450 Martini Henry, I used turned brass cases shipped to me from England. I'd set the cases mouth up in a pan of ice water about halfway up the side of the case. Using a propane torch in a darkened room, I'd heat the neck to a dull red and then tip it over into the ice water. This made the neck a bit softer so it didn't split. I'd do this about every 3rd time of reloading. Never lost any of those expensive cases to neck splits. I would also only resize the necks just enough to hold the bullets.

Mozella

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I personally don't anneal my brass, but if I were to, I would use the simple oven method: Take a 1-2" deep pan, stand your brass up in it, fill with water to below the bottom of the shoulder then bake in a 450 degree oven for an hour.

You say you don't anneal brass now. I say you won't be annealing brass with your method either should you decide to give it a try. What you'll wind up with is warm wet brass but it will be just as hard as when you started. The only difference you'll notice is that your wife will say her oven smells kind of funky.

Nobody uses a one hour exposure time for annealing cartridge necks, but if you did you would want to use a minimum temperature of 572F and at that time/temp you would notice only a very small decrease in hardness although you would be in the range to stress relieve the brass. Below 572F, essentially no change.

People, like me, who anneal every time shoot for a temperature of 750F with an exposure time of around 4 seconds or so, depending on the cartridge type and neck thickness and the power of whatever one is using to heat the brass; i.e. torch, induction coil, molten lead, hot pizza sauce, or what have you.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I guess there is no factory subsonic 6.8 ammo as none is listed. what bullet would be best to use for this and still open and kill do you think? 75 yards or so suppressed in the new backyard so the neighbors can't hear..Thanks

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I believe that Bison used to offer sub ammo with heavy/long bullets that were designed to go along with his 7 twist bbls. This,in 6.8SPCII. ---- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I believe he just has the bullets Sawman 200 grain. CorBon use to make a factory loading 115gr but discontinued. I need to use in what I got 16" and 11 twist standard length and weight and get expansion or do head shots! It looks prime hog and deer habitat in the back yard and with a feeder they will come in.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I believe he just has the bullets Sawman 200 grain. CorBon use to make a factory loading 115gr but discontinued. I need to use in what I got 16" and 11 twist standard length and weight and get expansion or do head shots! It looks prime hog and deer habitat in the back yard and with a feeder they will come in.

I know not 6.8, But when I load up some .308 Subsonic for my Rem 700. I have two load perfected to run just at 1050 FPS an 180 Grain Hornady Soft Point and the 220 Grain Sierra Round Nose.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought a bolt action in 357 magnum just to run subsonic 180 grain hornady hollow points in. I Use a YHM cobra and its very quiet ,the bullet expands very well at subsonic velocity . I've used it with great success on the pigs that were messing up my lawn.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Do you use 357mag brass or 38spec brass ??
    Which Hornady HP are you using that will expand adaquately at sub vels ?? ---- SAWMAN

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do you use 357mag brass or 38spec brass ??
    Which Hornady HP are you using that will expand adaquately at sub vels ?? ---- SAWMAN

38 specal case, Remington small pistol primer, 7.2 grains of 2400 and the hornady XTP180 grain HP. Part number 35771 . About 1040 fps out of a 16 inch barrel measured with a Oehler 35P chronograph . I've used it on pigs and dillos , about 17 confirm kills at 10 to 65 yards with good expansion in every case.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks for that. Great to know that the XTP line of Hornady bullets will expand adequately going slow as well as fast. I have used the XTP's in several different calibers for some time now and and am a real believer in their lethality going fast.
    Example - - -> I used the 240gr .429" bullet launched at max speed out of my 444Marlin some years ago to kill deer that were 300lbs "on the hoof". Most times the bullet exited the animals doing massive damage along the way. --- SAWMAN

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I am finally getting the tools together to start learning how to reload. I primed my first 100 327 federal cases with a new RCBS universal hand primer. I almost gave up on it and all of the sudden the primers started moving into place. Maybe a plastic burr popped loose. My question is about the primer seating plug. It doesnt seem to screw down tight. Just kinda goes in a few turns but doesnt get snug. Is it supposed to be like that? Tried calling RCBS but they are closed for the day

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just got off the phone with rcbs. They have never heard of that happening. The rod that the primer seating thing isnt supposed to spin. Sending me a new rod and seating bushings. He said if that doesnt fix it, they will send me a new tool

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I'm loading some 9mm Luger rounds with 124gr Hornady XTP over CFE-P. My Hornady reloading app has COL at 1.060 with 4.2-5.3 gr of CFE Pistol.
    My reloading manuals all show a COL of 1.120+ but that's with either a Speer GD or Round Nose. I figured with the Hornady reloading app (buying each round I reload at .99 per caliber data) I'd have at least an up to date powder and cartridge length. My only concern is if I'm going to create too much pressure by having such a deep seated round over 5.0 gr of CFE-P. I know it's to specs in that app, but it's the only source I have for that particular bullet.
    With the ranges closed, hard to test my rounds, so I've just been spending the quarantine preparing for the zombie apocalypse or whatever loading up some 9mm. Got a few hundred rounds of 124gr fmj over 4.2gr of Bullseye at ~1.130 which seems standard (and is a familiar load for a soft-shooting target round). The XTP's are more for a SHTF situation (and the fact that I got a couple boxes of 100 in a package deal recently).
    I'm asking the experts here, as I'm just getting back into reloading after not doing it for 20+ years, trying to make sure I don't blow my damned gun apart or worse, injure myself or someone else with a bad load.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The COLs listed in load data are usually MINIMUM lengths that should be loaded to. Loading longer is fine as long as the round will chamber reliably in your weapon. Plunk test is your friend.
    View attachment 81796
    Thanks, Bohica. I've been loading to 1.075-1.08. My M9a1 plunks just about anything, but it's got a mil-spec barrel so....

Floorguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have reloaded before,20 years ago I have a rock crusher. I have a lee progressive 100 I think At my Dads house I want to get back into reloading thinking of buying a Dillon RL 550C . Any other recommendations I have several dies now. Would mostly load 9mm,45 ,45lc,38 and .357 some rifle on the rock crusher also. Thanks.

Top Bottom