• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How about this folks, to close out this book, we all submit ONE question to the group? The question can be from chapters 5 on and should be thought provoking and designed to cultivate a discussion.

Thoughts? If you'd like me to continue providing questions, that's fine and I'll post them by the morning. Cherly, Ian, Ben, Stan, Justin, Frank, Sean....thoughts? Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend- Papa-Clay

MsChief

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just finished the book. Ugh. So shitty. Not the book itself, the entire situation.

In response to sometimes comment in another thread about the war: I don't think that the Posse would have had intelligent people a part of it seeing as the main guy was a drug lord. They were just a group of savages doing anything to get their next fix (whatever that may be including food) and move on. Thinking that the other towns that they successfully took over, building up their confidence and subsequently let their guard down (relatively) when they came upon Black Mountain. They were surprised by the resistance.

My question is...do you see yourself staying part of a small town and doing what you could to keep it?
    Fleeing with your family, forage and create a habitat out in the wild somewhere?
    Or establish a large group and travel like nomads?

Would you consider becoming part of a tight knit group that has planned for something like this? Not necessarily an EMP, but anything that would change our world as we know it? Establish meeting points, with the intention of all going to one certain secret location? And work together to survive?

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Safety in numbers I think. If I did find myself in that situation possibly I would try to move to a better location. Black Mountain gets mighty cold in the winter but I don't think I would strike out alone.

John and family didn't have the benefit of long term planning or thinking through ramifications. If it happened now I think I would try to move fast at the beginning to get somewhere better suited to long term survival. I wouldn't do it alone if I had kids, especially girls. Reason I say that is that with the breakdown of law enforcement the pervs are gonna move fast.

So I guess to answer MsChief's question: I would probably try to organize or stay with a group. Hopefully I could discern who was the good guys and the bad to form a team that was like minded and felt the need to move to a better area. I probably wouldn't stay where they were but try to move towards a coast and probably South. Too many concerns and freezing to death shouldn't be one of them. Probably just me talking because anything below 45 degrees is unbearable to me. LOL

Guess I shouldn't try to turn that into a prepper discussion. Too many angles for that and deserving of a separate thread. I'm just saying that added to all of the other considerations climate should probably be a priority.

As to my question contribution: I have one forming and will post it tomorrow after I think the wording through.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just finished the book. Ugh. So shitty. Not the book itself, the entire situation.

In response to sometimes comment in another thread about the war: I don't think that the Posse would have had intelligent people a part of it seeing as the main guy was a drug lord. They were just a group of savages doing anything to get their next fix (whatever that may be including food) and move on. Thinking that the other towns that they successfully took over, building up their confidence and subsequently let their guard down (relatively) when they came upon Black Mountain. They were surprised by the resistance.

My question is...do you see yourself staying part of a small town and doing what you could to keep it?
    Fleeing with your family, forage and create a habitat out in the wild somewhere?
    Or establish a large group and travel like nomads?

Would you consider becoming part of a tight knit group that has planned for something like this? Not necessarily an EMP, but anything that would change our world as we know it? Establish meeting points, with the intention of all going to one certain secret location? And work together to survive?

I think there is safety in numbers and I would be agreeable to collaborating with like-minded folks, have a game plan and a staging area for if the SHTF. I believe a rural location would be ideal, not necessarily in the middle of nowhere, but a few miles off the beaten path should suffice. We still may need access to more densely populated areas. Everyone buying sailboats and traveling as a pack on the open water would be an idea I'd like to explore. There are some highly efficient solar stills and water purification systems and by having multiple boats would provide a higher degree of safety against pirates.

I think the one weak point is trust, knowing people well enough to trust them in times of peace is one thing, trusting people in times of war, another animal in itself. Great Question Ms. Chief!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Tough to say, I am heading to the lease and the country folks w a compound there, plenty of guns and supplies. A town close by to raid for extra supplies and game to eat. Had to stock up for an over a year in food, ammo and water, would be ok for 2-3 mos maybe, I think you have to be in a group to survive, especially X service member who know how to defend and kill. I would try and for our own militia for security and raiding parties, it is us or them so attempt not to be brutal but hey you gotta survive.

You never know what you will do till you have been in a similar situation where it is them or you.

MsChief

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the one weak point is trust, knowing people well enough to trust them in times of peace is one thing, trusting people in times of war, another animal in itself.

I totally agree! That is why you would be on our team to evaluate people's mental stability and can alert us to signs of rebellion before they even have time to think about it or could help by being able to talk some sense into them and calm them down... :p

As for the boat thing...it kind of freaks me out. Not having places to hide out, easy places to just dock for repair or to replenish stock piles, obtain supplies, etc...
    Being close to a body of water would be ideal and having a boat that is easy to transport (kayak, canoe) would be the ideal plan.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, the trust thing would be a problem. Just like last night on Walking Dead. The audience was lead to believe the redneck prisoner guy was harmless. Sort of got the idea that he's gonna be a problem. I do have trust issues. For a lot of my life I trusted too many people and after some bad events in the last 10 years my radar has gone wide open to the point my wife sometimes thinks I'm a bit paranoid. I don't let it rule my life but people have to prove to me they can be trusted. Just this weekend: My 30 YO step-son. Finally found the love of his life a few months ago. Butter wouldn't melt in her mouth. Full back story that she's made out of money, great family, just a real pillar of society. He moves her into his house on Wednesday and Saturday night little Ms. Bi-polar shows up in all her glory. Vandalizes his car, attacks him. He leaves the house before anything bad happens. Her two teenage daughters fight her too. She blames him on the bruises that allegedly he gave her during the time frame he was at my house 15 miles away. She calls the cops on him, ECSO shows up, runs her ID and she's got warrants, NO DL, insurance, worthless checks, pick up order, on.....and on........and on and the daughters admit they did it to momma. I ........felt vibes but gawd knows, open my mouth and I'm creating problems that aren't there.........till they are.

All that to say "No, you can't trust anyone fully without a long term vetting. People that would lay down their life for you today might take your in a SHTF situation".

I wish there was a way to see into people when it's really important.

Boats. Certainly seems to be a good idea in some ways. Perfect would be something in the 30' range, fast and pre-electronics.

My question: How long do you think after the scenario in this book went down that life could possible return to some normalcy? I don't mean 100%, say to 1920's level?

Another angle (Cramming a lot in because it seems like everyone is ready to move on from this book). Quarantine against spread of disease. I was thinking about that today. My daughter is office manager of Pensacola Aviation Center, and as of two months ago my wife runs the front desk. Neither of those two ever get sick, I mean years go by without a sniffle. This year daughter has had the flu twice, wife went down with it yesterday morning and as of 20 minutes ago I'm sniffling and feeling hot. Really. I never get sick either, haven't missed a sick day at work in 8 years and even then I was ordered home to rest. Why all the sudden we all three are puny? Biz jets in and out all day, people from all over the USA, Canada and South America regularly pass through those doors. Not that it's serious but it's like our family is having their own mini-outbreak. Think about everyone's immune system taking a whack from malnutrition, injuries and such then playing nomad.

MsChief

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Trusting people is a huge deal. One never really knows how someone will react in a situation. Me personally, I've had an encounter with a HUGE kitchen fire, I didn't even hesitate a nanosecond and did what I had to do to put it out. It wasn't until the EMT was checking me out and pointed out all the burns I had did I start to kind of freak out, and by freak out I mean started to shake uncontrollably and began to feel the pain, not throwing a tantrum kind of freak out. Then on the other hand, I was in a pretty bad accident while I was 8 mos pregnant and freaked my shit instantly. Like I just froze and could only get out how are my kids over and over AND over again. (I know this doesn't instill confidence for any of you all to want to have me in a group)
    The only thing I think that could be the saving grace is being prepared in advance for ALL persons that are going to be a part of the group. It's the uncertainty that would scare and cause people to veer off track.

And to answer your question - How long do you think after the scenario in this book went down that life could possible return to some normalcy? I don't mean 100%, say to 1920's level? I think that would all depend on where you are. I think the Midwestern towns have the best chance of building a society, much like a 'Woodbury' in 'The Walking Dead.' Large groups will have people from all different walks of life and professions.
    Back to the trust issue, I think it would be wise for a large group that comes across a person/smaller groups, should have a 'quarantined' area. Not only for diseases and such, but where they are slowly introduced to prove their worth and earn trust.

I don't mind talking about this book or other various scenarios. I'm still thinking about a survivalist type section for these discussions past this particular book and I imagine the more of SHTF kind of books we read, the more and more we are all going to want to talk about things.

And super shitty to hear about the ordeal your stepson is going through. Hopefully he can get through all that mess and she get some help for herself and her daughters sake.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Chief, Here are some topic headers for Preppers on a hunting forum I am on:

Food Storage, Canning, Gardening
    Long term food & water storage, canning, growing your own food area

Animal Raising
    Animal husbandry, breeding, weaning, raising, slaughtering all things meaty and delicious, from fluffy bunnies , chickens, cows etc.
    Survival Equipment
    bugout bags & gear, bugout vehicles etc.
    Heating, Lighting, And Power Generating
    Everything from shelter to wind & solar lighting & power, staying warm etc.
    Communications Gear
    Emergency Radios For News & Information, Ham Radio Gear And Info
    YOUR SURVIVAL EXPERIENCES

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First, Thanks for the kind words about stepson MsChief but it's all under control. Momma (wife) is worried about son's emotions. I'm giving advice from the guy's point of view which is probably harsh to some female ears but I think good advice. He is devastated over it from the "in love" point of view but he'll get over it. Really good looking guy, great job, home owner at 25 YO, good priorities, proven track record (zero criminal record) ..............he'll be just fine. In two months he'll show up here with a new mega-hottie and all will be right in the world. Kinda like me in my younger days. LOL

I didn't mean to relate all that like we have drama around the Seanpcola casa. We've actually got a seriously cool family. I tried to thread that into the "trust" angle. You really really want to trust people but you never know.

As for you MsChief, sounds to me like you handled the fire thing just right and I applaud you. I truly love women (too much) and worship the ground all of them walk on but there is a difference between being a woman and being "Girlie". You done good on the fire. As for the accident and worrying about the kids and your unborn: Personally I would think a lot less of you if you hadn't been close to panic over that.

One of the things I find fascinating about the female of any species: Soft, pretty, feminine...............and truly your worst nightmare if you get between them and their offspring. I find that extremely cool. My wife as example. There has never been a more angelic, soft spoken, kind and truly truly nice human being ever been put on this earth. People that meet her are fascinated over her even-tempered personality and honest concern over her fellow man............A real Mother Teresa, I kid you not..........................until someone threatens or tries to cause harm to one of the kids. When that happens it gets.............real scary. That 105 lb. female could take down a football team. I've seen her in action. And what's worse, we now have a brood of grandkids. Someone attempt harm on them? I'd rather watch a pond full of alligators go after trapped and injured cattle, there would be less bloodshed.

Reminds me of something that happened (Yes, I know I'm rambling). I was living on Grand Lagoon when I was dating the Mrs. She's from Oklahoma (she has mad large animal and canning skills, we'll need her) so wasn't accustomed to the salt life. All she knew about dolphins was many episodes of Flipper. She loves all animals and thinks Dolphins are cooler than sliced bread. After a night of dancing we would come home, drop the boat in and go cruising out in the bay. I'd shut the boat off and drift so we could..........................look at the stars and such. Occasionally I'd bang on the hull and get some Dolphins to circle. She would be ecstatic and of course indebted to me (but that's another story, heh heh) to give her a personal Seaworld show. One night we had a pair circling the boat and suddenly Junior popped his head up right by the stern. Future wife was thrilled! Cutest thing she ever saw. She then decided to pet the little one. Stuck her hand over the side to pet it and I actually thought coherently. Just as I reached her I saw the water churning. I grabbed a handful of long blonde hair and snatched GF backwards. Momma Flipper's mouth just barely grazed JJ's arm. I still can't believe it wasn't removed. JJ just laid there in the bottom of the boat shaking like a leaf. I calmly explained to her by way of parable. "How would you feel if a Bear decided to play with your 1 YO baby?". She got it.

Survivalist section. Perfect idea and a perfect fit for this forum. I occasionally frequent Survival Cache but frankly I don't find much to relate to there. There are many forums devoted to food hoarding, guns (I love this one the best though) and various self defense angles . We can all add to that but I'm digging the idea of a discussion that gets to the meat of psychological, real world logistics and considerations that many sites (and people) skim over. There are many facets to EOW/SHTF that no one seems to ever want to consider. I think we need to go there too.

Woodbury is a great example of small communities after SHTF. What I think the writers of TWD are trying to emphasize is the "Emperor" mentality. The springing up of Jim Jones types. Certainly a group of people could band together and create a liveable situation. But, beware of the charismatic leader. History books are full of the type of individual that can capture and exploit a flock of sheep. Anyone remember Hitler, or Stalin? If something bad ever did go down and a gathering of decent people formed I believe that the only workable solution would be some sort of committee. Danger lies in everyone looking up to one individual to lead the pack. I love the USA and this country was formed around a checks and balances. Where it went awry was when the C&B got backburnered for "the greater good".

OK, that's as far as I'll go politically. LOL You get the idea.

Latest posts

Top Bottom