• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Centermass556

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been reading a bit of Classic Science Fiction Lately.

Just Finished The forvever war. That is a good quick read. It can be finished in a good day or weekend.

Supposedly it was written as a commentary on the Vietnam war. I can see it, but I couldn't really see it...If that makes sense. Some you Vietnam vets might be able to. But Commentary aside it is a good book. Has just enough true Science in it to make it interesting, but not to geek it out. I recommned it.

I just started Old Man's War Series...What can I say, I am a sucker Dystopian Scifi...At anyrate. It starts off well. I will let you know at the end of Book two if it is worth anything.

As far as non-fiction, I am reading My Life as a Soldier by MAJ EueLL T White. One of my mentors mentioned it. interesting notes.

Anyone care to know where the term Mentor comes from?

Centermass556

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sean,

If you liked Starship troopers and books like that...Then you will like Old Man's war. I actually finished the first book while at the dentist today (the kindle is the best device ever made!!). The first books stands alone and is a good read.

BTW Mentor... the greatest Military drama ever written is about a guy who gets convinced to go off and fight a war on a far away coast with a bunch of his friends. He knows traveling to the war, fighting the war, and coming home will take forever. So he asks his old friend to look after and tutor his son in the ways of being of man. Well while he is gone to war, some guys try to take over his house, take advantage of his wife, and make his son a slave. The guy takes forever to come back from the war, at one point it is rumored he died, his son takes off to find him. long story even shorter, Father and son meet up and travel back home. Well his Son and him lay waste to all the dudes trying to take over their land and abuse his wife.

that story is the of Odyssues over the course of the iliad and the odyssey. Mentor was the man Odyssues asked to look after his Son, Telemachus.

So that is where the Term Mentor comes from....

I'm bored at work today..

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I read the Iliad and the Oddyssey years ago but remember little of it.

Yep, I love eReaders! I presently use a Nook HD, and in fact I post here on it. I am changing over in the next couple of weeks and getting a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9.

I'm sure you know this but you can get Kindle and Nook apps for smart phones. I have both on my Android phone and its great if you find yourself stuck somewhere and don't have your Kindle with you. Its surprisingly easy to read a book on a phone, just have to turn the pages a lot more often. Its also pretty cool that you can go back and forth between your phone and reader and the two communicate to the point where you always open up to the same page you left off with.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Big fan of "The Odyssey" here, love the old "Jason and the Argonauts" and "Sinbad" stuff too, pretty much any Greek mythology.

Excellent VN reads:

"Chickenhawk"
    "Fields of Fire"
    "Rumors of War"
    "Marine Sniper, 93 Confirmed Kills"

Top Bottom