• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MsChief

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wouldn't mind staying on the same topic, but with different scenarios. Such as chemical warfare, earthquakes/other natural disasters.

That being said, I love great crime drama/thrillers, scary psychological thrillers, some sci-fi...
    I don't have any specific suggestions yet, but will research soon.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IAN- clear your pm messages please- can't send ya anying -

Ms. Chief, I'm gonna send you my next idea via PM, let me know what you and Master think plz.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Next book club read

Here are the choices so far, your feedback is wanted and if you have other suggestions, feel free to post.

Let me know your thoughts! -Clay

Patriot -http://www.amazon.com/Patriots-Surviving-James-Wesley-Rawles/dp/156975599X

America faces a full-scale socioeconomic collapse—the stock market plummets, hyperinflation cripples commerce and the mounting crisis passes the tipping point. Practically overnight, the fragile chains of supply and high-technology infrastructure fall, and wholesale rioting and looting grip every major city.

As hordes of refugees and looters pour out of the cities, a small group of friends living in the Midwest desperately tries to make their way to a safe-haven ranch in northern Idaho. The journey requires all their skill and training since communication, commerce, transportation and law enforcement have all disappeared. Once at the ranch, the group fends off vicious attacks from outsiders and then looks to join other groups that are trying to restore true Constitutional law to the country.

Patriots is a thrilling narrative depicting fictional characters using authentic survivalist techniques to endure the collapse of the American civilization. Reading this compelling, fast-paced novel could one day mean the difference between life and death.

OR

The Long Walk-http://www.amazon.com/The-Long-Walk-Freedom-Tie-In/dp/B005DI66N4

Cavalry officer Slavomir Rawicz was captured by the Red Army in 1939 during the German-Soviet partition of Poland and was sent to the Siberian Gulag along with other captive Poles, Finns, Ukranians, Czechs, Greeks, and even a few English, French, and American unfortunates who had been caught up in the fighting. A year later, he and six comrades from various countries escaped from a labor camp in Yakutsk and made their way, on foot, thousands of miles south to British India, where Rawicz reenlisted in the Polish army and fought against the Germans. The Long Walk recounts that adventure, which is surely one of the most curious treks in history.

OR

The Road-http://www.amazon.com/Road-Oprahs-Book-Club/dp/0307387895
    Cormac McCarthy sets his new novel, The Road, in a post-apocalyptic blight of gray skies that drizzle ash, a world in which all matter of wildlife is extinct, starvation is not only prevalent but nearly all-encompassing, and marauding bands of cannibals roam the environment with pieces of human flesh stuck between their teeth. If this sounds oppressive and dispiriting, it is. McCarthy may have just set to paper the definitive vision of the world after nuclear war, and in this recent age of relentless saber-rattling by the global powers, it's not much of a leap to feel his vision could be not far off the mark nor, sadly, right around the corner. Stealing across this horrific (and that's the only word for it) landscape are an unnamed man and his emaciated son, a boy probably around the age of ten. It is the love the father feels for his son, a love as deep and acute as his grief, that could surprise readers of McCarthy's previous work. McCarthy's Gnostic impressions of mankind have left very little place for love. In fact that greatest love affair in any of his novels, I would argue, occurs between the Billy Parham and the wolf in The Crossing. But here the love of a desperate father for his sickly son transcends all else. McCarthy has always written about the battle between light and darkness; the darkness usually comprises 99.9% of the world, while any illumination is the weak shaft thrown by a penlight running low on batteries. In The Road, those batteries are almost out--the entire world is, quite literally, dying--so the final affirmation of hope in the novel's closing pages is all the more shocking and maybe all the more enduring as the boy takes all of his father's (and McCarthy's) rage at the hopeless folly of man and lays it down, lifting up, in its place, the oddest of all things: faith. --Dennis Lehane

OR

Out of the Ashes-http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1518115.Out_of_the_Ashes

The worst-case scenario has come to pass— a nuclear strike has crippled America. Gangs, looters, and vandals have seized the streets. The decent few can only pray for a leader to protect them. Luckily, one of the survivors is Ben Raines.

Rebel mercenary, retired soldier, and tireless patriot, Raines is searching for his missing family in the aftermath of this devastating war. His relentless pursuit through the ruined cities of the west unites him with the civilians of the Resistance forces. They become his recruits for a revolutionary army dedicated to rebuilding America. Then comes the final outrage— an armed attack by government forces. With the fate of America's New Patriots hanging in the balance, Raines vows-government be damned-to survive, find his family, and lead this once great nation out of the ashes.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Saw the movie, so I already know the ending!!!

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On a side note if anyone wants to see a good survival movie check out " The Edge " with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin. An oldie but a goodie

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Who we missing? Frank and Stanley....Hoss? Chirp in y'all, I need a new book...

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On a side note if anyone wants to see a good survival movie check out " The Edge " with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin. An oldie but a goodie

HELL YEAH.....great

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Patriot is a movie, send it to me!, I have a VCR!

We are picking another book and not discussing after chapter 4 of the current one?

Why is the mailbox so small??

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm ready to discuss more of the first book but I'm good at savoring the experience so no rush on my part. Plus, Clay has other things on his plate. No reason to rush through it.

As for picking book 2, I really am wide open. I ran out of stuff to read in my personal library (loose term) and have resorted to re-reading some old titles. As soon as one is agreed upon I'm B&N bound.

Also, I think I may pull the trigger on a Kindle or similar. I've been putting it off because, like some of the other folks mentioned, paperbacks are in my comfort zone. Time to get dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. I might even get freaky in January and upgrade my cell phone.:laugh:

On that line (new thread subject?) I'm gonna need advice and experiences on ereaders.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Out of the Ashes-http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1518115.Out_of_the_Ashes

Have you read any of his books? I have not read this one but I have read several of Johnstone's books. Basically Raines and his cohorts wandering around the world blasting bad guys. Not really high level reading.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you read any of his books? I have not read this one but I have read several of Johnstone's books. Basically Raines and his cohorts wandering around the world blasting bad guys. Not really high level reading.

Is that the Johnstone that writes all of the Westerns? If so I agree, he's not that good, sort of a Stephen King of that genre. Cookie cutter writer.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds pretty interesting frank! Lots of room for discussion too!

From the Amazon description:

Book Description
    Publication Date: July 25, 2012
    They thought it would never happen here… Seemingly ripped from today’s headlines, Essential Liberty is an action-filled, thought-provoking work of fiction about governmental overreach and the abuse of power. Through believable characters and words that could have come from our current political debate, Essential Liberty asks, “What if?”…and then provides the answer. The United States government has banned and begun confiscating firearms from its citizens. Insurance executive Don Williams has never owned a gun and is part of the majority of Americans who initially favored “Collection” (the official term for confiscation), yet he’s shocked to see his fellow countrymen being rounded up on the evening news. Don’s good friend, former Marine Mike Niculescu, owns many firearms and has refused to surrender them. The son of immigrants from Communist Romania reveres them as symbols of liberty. Bill Payne, of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, commands an ATF Hazardous Operations Team. These elite new teams are reserved for Collection operations with a high level of risk. Payne wants his unit to be the first to make headlines. As the story unfolds, Don is forced to make a choice: Will he turn a blind eye to the abuse of power, or will he choose—for the first time in his life—to make a stand on principle that will put everything he cares about at risk?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I thought it might be a timely discussion and at the same time prepare us for what may happen in reality. Without even reading the book I know my personal decisions and actions, but then I am an old Man and have lived a full life.

Top Bottom