• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a problem with a new to me anderson mfg lower.
    I dissasembled it to check safe function....and I found that it is NOT SAFE!!!
    If i pull the trigger and droped the hammer...then while still holding the trigger - pulled the bolt back and released it quickly.....it drops the hammer again!!!
    It only does it when the bolt is let go quickly....if I do it slowly it all works at it should.
    Does the same thing with the lower removed and working the parts manually .....if I push down on the hammer and let go of it quickly it will push past the disconnector and fall!
    Anyone seen this before? I assume I'll have to replace the hammer,disconnector, and disconnector spring.....but I'd love to hear from someone who has more experience with these things than me.
    PS: this lower seems like it has NOT been used much at all....no real wear or scratches....so I don't think its a mfg defect of some sort.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My research indicates that the disconnect or hammer are out of spec. Looks like it happens on the ar-15 ...but have not found anyone that knows how to fix it but to just swap out parts ant test it again.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I call it disconnector "timeing". It could be a problem with the disconnector,trigger or hammer. Could be one, or all three. Have never seen all three though.

With the upper off...pull the tigger to release the hammer,HOLDING THE TRIGGER TO THE REAR,try to reset the hammer. Will it reset ?? If not, when this happens when shooting it will fire two very quick shots. I call this "doubleing". --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I call it disconnector "timeing". It could be a problem with the disconnector,trigger or hammer. Could be one, or all three. Have never seen all three though.

With the upper off...pull the tigger to release the hammer,HOLDING THE TRIGGER TO THE REAR,try to reset the hammer. Will it reset ?? If not, when this happens when shooting it will fire two very quick shots. I call this "doubleing". --- SAWMAN

With the upper off - it will reset. Every thing seems fine until I test the disconnector with the trigger pulled. It works at low speed, but fails when I let the hammer go quickly. It will push right past the disconnector about 2 out of 3 times. Upon inspection with it locked into the disconnector...it seems to have plenty of contact. When it happens you can see the disconnector move backwards...."camming out". I assume that the angle of the surfaces between the disconnecor and hammer are off.....or could be not enough spring tension. I'm betting on the angle since it does not seem like it would have been designed to be a function of spring tension.?????
    Of course I could be missing something....have to look at it again.
    I apreciate the offer of help Matt.... extra parts would be a good diagnostic tool for sure.....but I don't like borrowing or lending tools....If you have some extra parts I'd glady buy them from you. I'll send you a pm.
    Thanks for the replies!

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Found it!
    the trigger did not have enough travel/was not moving the disconnector foreward enough. I removed the safety selector and it only takes a little more travel to correct the problem.
    I'll adjust the disconnector or shave a little material out of the safety to allow for a little more movement and that should solve the problem.
    ....now to a bigger problem.....seems the last owner broke one of the trigger guard mounting ears and glued it back on! I didn't find it until I removed the grip....and the ear fell off :(
    Anyone ever tig welded on a cast receiver? I'll have to practice on some scrap for a while before I try that one :(
    Edit: Seems 7075-t6 alloys (ar-15 receivers) cant be heated at all or the alloy is instantly "aged" and becomes weak and brittle.....so no welding :(

Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The miad used to come in a full kit that had a trigger guard front strap as an option. Don't think they come with them now, but you can get just the trigger guard piece from Fulton armory. That will give you a trigger guard with a missing 'ear'

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi Dixie. I don't think I completely followed your solution. To clarify...it is one of ears on the lower ....near the grip area...which holds the rear of the trigger guard strap.....that has snapped off.....probably when someone tried to drive the pin through it and the trigger guard strap. I had never noticed how thin and fragile this area is!. I would love to hear of an off the shelf fix. My next option would be to build a modified guard that didn't need that cross pin....maybe drilled and tapped screw into the bottom of the lower.??
    Thanks for any info.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Get a magpul MIAD grip. Buy the front strap that has the integral trigger guard in it from Fulton armory. You won't need to use the roll pin and you will have a trigger guard.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok thanks! ...I finally found some threads on this repair....most using that method. Seem like a good fix. I'll have to decide whether to glue the ear back on for looks or just remove the other as well...and smooth/color to finish.
    Too bad someone has not come out with a billet milled guard that would cover the damaged area. Probably not enough broken lowers out there....but would be more solid than the stock setup.

Top Bottom