• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hdsjr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I found IT! I have a Ruger Old Army, stainless 7.5 inch barrel, with adjustable sights coming to me next week. BONUS, it comes with a Bianchi made for Ruger flap holster in great condition.

We might need to set up a black powder pistol day on a local range for all the charcoal pistol fans, and those interested in them!

Incredible pistol...accurate as all get out. I have one just like it, thinking about trying to find a second.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    my only two

I used to like shootine them too, but got a ball stuck in the flintlock, any one had any luck getting a bad stuck ball out? I have tried the worm thing, no go and it has been stuck for over 20 years now. probally a bad mess down there by now.

Attachments

• Picture 833.jpg
      Picture 833.jpg
      88.4 KB · Views: 361

hdsjr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dan, you could try to trickle a little powder in behind the ball, and shoot 'er out.

Yeah, this is the usual way. Beat the ball all the way to the breach. You may have to use a hammer and a steel rod, but make sure to protect the rifling at the muzzle, if you do. Trickle in some powder, turning the gun on its side so that gravity will help take it into the bore. When it's taken all it will, primer 'er up and let 'er go boom. It should come out pretty stout, so safe direction.

You might be able to find a compressed air device at a place that sells black powder supplies. You sure ain't the first to have this problem.

timc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used to like shootine them too, but got a ball stuck in the flintlock, any one had any luck getting a bad stuck ball out? I have tried the worm thing, no go and it has been stuck for over 20 years now. probally a bad mess down there by now.

Not sure what size the nipple is, but I got a CVA Mossouri rifle that had a ball in it. I took the nipple off, put a zert fitting in it's place, and pumped grease from a grease gun into the barrel. Ball came out real easy. Cleaned out the grease and gun worked fine.

hdsjr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Dan, I don't think I picked up on that thing having a load of blackpowder underneath the stuck ball. If so, your best bet might be to remove the barrel and unbreach it. I think I'd visit my favorite gunsmith. In fact, I have driven the ball (hammered) onto the powder and fired it without any ill effects. However, that's me and I exercised questionable judgement several times during my younger years.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What caliber is it and what is the length of the barrel?

You might be able to find a compressed air device at a place that sells black powder supplies. You sure ain't the first to have this problem???

Last edited:

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pink Pirate Philidelphia Derringer

Found this little gem at a local pawn shop awhile back,
    modded it for the Wifey as a costume piece...but it's still
    totally functional :)

Not bad for $20!
    Already had the Pink Stain, the Plum Brown bluing,
    the Pirate Girl Skull & Crossbones and the ...so it only
    cost the $20 for the pistol itself :)

Attachments

• GEDC0142.JPG
      GEDC0142.JPG
      420.8 KB · Views: 300
    • GEDC0011.JPG
      GEDC0011.JPG
      713.5 KB · Views: 311
    • GEDC0010.JPG
      GEDC0010.JPG
      682.2 KB · Views: 379
    • GEDC0009.JPG
      GEDC0009.JPG
      605.4 KB · Views: 319
    Last edited:

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I found IT! I have a Ruger Old Army, stainless 7.5 inch barrel, with adjustable sights coming to me next week. BONUS, it comes with a Bianchi made for Ruger flap holster in great condition.

We might need to set up a black powder pistol day on a local range for all the charcoal pistol fans, and those interested in them!

Should be able to have a BP shoot soon, still needs to cool down more :drama:

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    BP Pistols.jpg
    I have these 3, all .45 caliber percussion pistols. The nickel barreled derringer I made from a kit many years ago. The other's were built from a kit by my father. I've fired all 3, the nickel plated one is a smooth bore but the others are rifled.

Used to have 2 BP revolvers that looked just like the one Timc posted above. Both were unfired. About 10-12 years ago I was not into shooting as much and had never fired black powder. Was spending all my money on racing so I sold them to put the cash towards a new set of slicks. Just barely got enough for the 2 to pay for 1 slick :der:. Now I wish I had not sold them. Glad I didn't sell any of my other guns back then! I've since learned to spend a little less on both hobbies and not to sell from one hobby to pay for the other...

Attachments

• BP Pistols.jpg
      BP Pistols.jpg
      257.4 KB · Views: 397

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I’ve got a couple of BP pistols, I’ll post some pics later on. I’ve always wanted Colt Walker revolver

Tuck

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve got a couple of BP pistols, I’ll post some pics later on. I’ve always wanted Colt Walker revolver
    Walker is a behemoth but I like mine. I have a few bp pistols but I'm not colocated with them right now. Actually just bought another one. Also have a hawken & a nice Lehigh-style flintlock. I definitely like bp weapons. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a lot of interest in them these days.

Tuck

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did finally get the flintlock working again.
    Had to go back to see what you were talking about. How did you end up getting the ball out? No corrosion in the breech?

I love my .45 flinter. It cost but longrifles are works of art. Pic makes it look like a big delay in ignition but the lock is actually very fast. I'd like a flintlock pistol to go with it.

Attachments

• 40072.jpeg
      40072.jpeg
      484.7 KB · Views: 145

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I tried to download a video of shooting it but can't figure out how?

Latest posts

Top Bottom