• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A story,,,,,

Kurt's muscles ached from being crouched in that position, in those bushes, for so long, but it took 3 long days to get to that camp and he wasn't gonna blow it now. Darkness blanketed him and the humidity smothered him. Sweat streaked his camo paint. A single large drop of sweat trickled down his back. He shivered and fought the urge to reach back, but he dare not, as guards were patrolling nearby. He was gonna get to his buddies if it's the last thing he does (his group leaves nobody behind). He VERY quitely took his weapon off safe. The click sounded like a clap. When he saw his moment, he crept out of the bushes towards the wire cage. He couldn't see anything in there at first... it was too dark, but then, out of the darkness, he saw two yellow eyes and the gaunt face drift towards him. He froze, he didn't recognize the 'ghost'. "Charley?", he whispered. He heard a noise behind him. "Gringo die!!" He turned to see the big hole of a muzzle. BANG!!

He sprang up in bed with a gulp of air, he was soaking wet. Damn! Another dream. He'd been having those dreams since he got back. He wondered if they'd ever stop. Most times it wasn't so bad, but lately they've been gettin' worse. He was wide awake, so he got up, walked over and opened the fridge, reached in to get a beer, but the cold from the fridge felt so good, he stepped closer and just stood there, in his skivvies. He checked his watch. The luminous dial told him it was 2am. He thought of his dream and caught a chill, so he grabbed a beer and closed the fridge. He plopped down on the couch, took a big swig and picked up the cigarette pack. He looked at it...man he wanted one so bad, but he put it down. He promised his kid he'd quit. It meant more now since they weren't there. They were 500 miles away and he had to get home.

He'd been out of town working. His company sent him to a job in Birmingham and put him up in a hotel. A highrise, downtown. 54 stories, all glass exterior. $5 mil exterior and interior glass contract. Things were the usual SNAFU and they sent him there to try and straighten it out, 'cause that's what he did, but , as usual, he got there behind the 8 ball- they were behind schedule and over budget and the contractor was threatening to throw them off the job and hire another sub. So Kurt was sent in to try and save the huge contract. Kurt's first job was to fire the current Super and take the reins. This usually bought them time to get the job back on schedule( along with rolling up the sleeves and getting involved in day to day activities and seeing how to make the job most efficient). Kurt hated firing folks, but dang it, they just weren't doing their job. Besides, they paid him very well, put him up in a fine hotel and paid a generous per diem.

That allowed him to finance that "getaway" in the mountains in eastern KY, with all the goodies to get off the grid and such. Kurt had found an old blasting depot, used in coal mining. They'd hollowed out a hill and stored the explosives inside the rock. At the very bottom, was hollwed out enough for large trucks to drive into. An elevator ran up thru the middle of the hill and rooms had been hollowed out on both sides. At the very top was another large, single room, usually used for office space. They'd dug in and converted the old depot into a self sustained living space, making the individual rooms ( going up the elevator) into bedrooms and the top room into the living/dining/kitchen the side of a huge hill and had several living/storage spaces that were connected together, but then, all covered up with natural surroundings. In fact, if somebody walked thru the woods, they'd never see it, just underbrush, rocks and trees going up the side of a big hill.
    Security was important to him, so he paid particular attention to that. He had state of the art cameras and motion detectors scattered hidden all throughout the trees and up the hill and 50 yds surrounding the hill. If anything moved within 100 yds of his place, he'd know about it and have a video of it. This not only helped for security, but helped him find game. But first, he had to get home.

There's a cat 5 Hurricane ( Obama) in the Gulf and heading towards land, nobobdy knows for sure where it'll hit landfall. It was huge...it filled the Gulf. Huge fuel storage tanks in Tampa and Norfolk are on fire. Kurt had flown into Birmingham, with his clothes, laptop, 1911 and Remmy 11-87, 12 ga., Vang comped, extended tube, lite, side saddle, (all the bells and whistles) and rented a truck ( always a Ford f-250 kingcab 4WD) on a company credit card ( with very deep pockets), in order to do whatever it took to turn that job around( he always fought with accounting as to his expenses and they never understood, but still , he had to "talk the talk"). He was sure there was a SHTF scenario. Kurt speculated that terrorist cells all over the Country have used the cat 5 Hurricane to activate and have attacked Govt offices and set off bombs all over the Country. He shuddered at the thought. How soon before Martial Law. How many NG and military troops are being deployed. Kurt imagined that traveling across the country would be a challenge.

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Kurt loaded up in the rental truck and headed to the gas station nearest the Interstate. He drove south out of the city and pulled into the first gas station that looked open and right up to a pump. He waived to the girl inside and she waived back and he heard the pump whirl to life.
    While he's there toppin' off( he always keeps the door open and the shotgun laying in the seat), a little Toyota truck, with men in the back, pulls in and pulls up right next to him. One of the men in back stands up and says,"Yo man, what you got? yo! I'm talking to you!"
    "Yeah, I heard ya....I got nuttin' for y'all!.... Move along! ...don't try my hand!"....
    The thugs in the back jumped out, so Kurt sprayed gas all over them and onto the driver's side and hood of the truck and whipped out his lighter.
    "I'd get back in the truck and haul ass if I's you!"
    The truck lunged forward and the punks ran after it....They jumped in as fast as they jumped out and the the truck sped off.
    Kurt replaced the nozzle and reached for his shotgun. He stood there for a moment, watched the truck haul ass down the road and went inside.
    The kid threw up her hands and shouted, "Whoa man, don't shoot!"
    "Take it easy. This ain't no stick up."
    "But I thought.......I thought they's gonna git you!" said the young female attendant inside.
    "Yeah, me too. I'm just glad the driver had enough sense to leave."
    "They's probably gonna rob me" she said "They've been driving up and down the road all day."
    Kurt asked," You ok?"
    "I reckon," she replied.
    "Listen, you better call your boss and tell him to get out here and help you, 'cause you need to get home to your family. Hey, where can I get some ammo and supplies?"
    "Well, right down that road about a mile is a Army/Navy store. My ol' man's uncle owns it. Why, whatta ya need?"
    "Oh, just something for the road...some ammo and MREs"
    "Oh yeah, I'll give 'em a call, tell 'em yer comin'. Hey, is that thing loaded?"
    "Well, yeah, else it'd just be a paper weight. Btw, what's yer name?"
    "Betty Jo."
    "Hi Betty Jo, I'm Kurt"
    So Betty Jo called her uncle-in-law and they had some ammo and MREs.
    With that, Kurt walked out to his truck, pulled out and went down the road to the store.
    After awhile he saw the sign and pulled in and parked.
    Kurt was glad to see two other trucks parked out front. He left his Remmy in the truck, but he decided to go ahead and carry his .45 in with him, it was concealed and he had his permit (like that meant anything now). There was stickers all over the door- the usual Army, Navy and Marine Corps, S&W, Sig, Springfield, BlackHawk, NRA, GOA and an American flag. He went right in.

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "Hello, Betty Jo sent me."
    The man behind the counter was a big man..... white beard, white hair pulled back in a ponytail,( Kurt bet he played Santa), USMC cap, XD on his belt, liked his beer. "How you doin' man? Yeah, she called us. How's she doin? She ok? Said there's some trouble, but you ran 'em off. Much obliged. Betty Jo can take care of herself, but still.... We seen 'em driving up and down here too. I been waiting' for 'em to stop here. I got something for 'em, alright." Hank pointed his thumb over his shoulder and Kurt saw a Springfield Armory Socom M1A, with a ACOG on top, hanging on the wall, within reach. Hank saw the question on Kurt's face. "Yep, it's a tack driver. So, Betty Jo said you need some supplies." "Btw, I'm Hank." He extended his hand.
    Kurt shook it firmly, "I'm Kurt."

A woman came up from in back and stood next to Hank. "This is my wife Sarah. Honey, this is Kurt."
    Kurt shook her hand and was surprised how firm it was.
    "How do you do?"
    "Ma'am". She was well built for her age. Long reddish hair, graying, pulled back into a pony tail. Her piercing blue eyes still had a sparkle. Kurt was sure she was a real looker, back in the day. A stirring inside made him realized that he missed his wife.

He felt right at ease, " Awww, Just some punks riding around looking for trouble, but I can't believe they're acting like that in broad daylight. Where's the law?" asked Kurt.
    "Oh, they've got their hands full in town. Something about rioting or something. Been listening to the scanner, all hell's breaking loose, I reckon," said Hank.
    "Well I'm gonna call Betty Jo and see if she's ok," said Sarah.
    "I told her to call her boss and tell him to get in there, that she's going home," added Kurt.
    "That spineless prick, he'll never show up." Sarah snorted," Hank, I'm going over there. Tommy's still at work and he can't get off."
    "Be careful Honey, call me when ya get there." Hank replied.
    "I will," she said .
    They both watched Sarah draw her Glock, press check it and reholster, then walk out the door. " She's a fine woman. Been with me for 30 yrs."
    "You're a lucky man."
    "Yes, I am."

Kurt heard a truck start up outside. He could tell it was hopped up. He could hear the motor loping, as Sarah backed up and whipped it around. The roar coming out the pipes as she pulled out confirmed it. "Man, that sounds good," said Kurt.
    "Oh yeah, my brother's a mechanic."Hank replied, "Him and his boys races out at the track. They've got a machine shop and everything. I provide this gear and they keep our trucks running."
    Kurt could see Hank's face beam with pride.

"So, what can I do for ya Kurt?" asked Hank.
    "well, I need some stuff to get home." he answere3d
    "I been prepping for several years now," said Hank " Retired cop. I was a MP in 'Nam, just natural to be a cop when I got back. Bought this place when I retired and I've been prepping ever since. This Country, my Country has been goin' down the toilet since, forever." The lines on Hank's face got deeper.
    There was an awkward moment of silence. Kurt broke the silence," So, you's in the Marine Corps?"
    "Yep," replied Hank,"'70-'73."
    "Me too," answered Kurt, " '93-'00. I's in Aviation."
    "Swing with the Wing, Semper Fi." Hank said.
    "Semper Fi..." replied Kurt. He found himself straighten up to attention.

"So, what's goin' on?" asked Kurt, "I saw on the news this morning that there's a cat 5 in the Gulf, gonna hit land sometime tonight and some fuel storage tanks in Tampa was burning. They said terrorist cells were blowing up Govt buildings....then the cable went out. That's when I decided it was time to get myself home."
    Hank came back with the wave of his hand, "Oh, you can't believe all you see on TV. Probably FEMA folks over-reacting 'cause of Katrina and according to DHS, everybody's terrorists. I don't know, but I know something's up. The internet's down, Cable's down, phones're down. Hell, I can't even run credit cards....I hope you got cash."
    "Nope, I only do plastic. I'm on the road," replied Kurt, "but I do have some Troy ingots and coins."
    "That'll work," Hank said.
    Then Kurt was puzzled,"But, I just gassed up at the station."
    Hank answered, "Oh Hell, Betty Jo probably just gave it to ya. That place been runnin' on generators since yesterday. She's knows good folks when she sees 'em. Besides, everybody else pays cash. That boss of hers is such a slimeball. Been hitting on her ever since he hired her. Hell, he's old enough to be her dad, but she puts up with it 'cause she needs the job. Plus, we got 1000 gallons of fuel right there."

"Anyway, what can I do for you?" asked Hank, "Betty Jo said you needed MREs and ammo."
    "Yep, I need some supplies, enough to get me home," replied Kurt.
    "Where's home?" asked Hank.
    "Eastern Kentucky," replied Kurt,"my BOL."
    They both nodded approvingly.
    "Well, mine's right here. We live behind this place and we've got everythng we need. You're gonna need these," Hank spoke loudly as he walked from behind the counter, over to the wall. He returned with two milspec, 5gal gas cans. "What else? I don't have alot of ammo to part with, but I guess I could let some go, to a fellow Marine. What kind ya need?" Hank smiled, glad to actually meet someone .

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All the way in the back was sleeping bags hanging and backpacks on the shelf. Hank picked up a medium ALICE pack on a frame and kept walking. Walking thru the isles, he stuffed it with a machete, a jungle misquito hammock, a new nylon duty belt, 3 new plastic canteens, canteen cup, new nylon covers, a platoon sized trauma first-aid kit and a pancho. Then he handed the pack to Kurt as he walked back to a caged area, unlocked the lock, opened the door and flipped on the light.
    Kurt saw a long glass case full of handguns. Long guns were lined all around the wall behind it, with shelves of ammo all around and displays of Blackhawk gear in the middle of the floor. Hank reached into the case and picked up a Scorpion flashlight, a K-Bar USMC fighting knife, a Cammenga Trituim lensatic compass, some firestarter stuff and a wideband emergency hand crank radio and layed them on the counter. "Tell ya what, I'll let ya have all this and I'm gonna throw in a brand new gas mask, some spare filters and a case of MREs. Now, what kinda ammo?" asked Hank.. Kurt pulled his Kimber Custom CDP Pro and cleared it. Hank motioned to see it, so Kurt handed it to him.
    "Ahh, a Kimber,,,,nice." Hank admired the piece.
    "Yeah, I replaced all the MIMS parts with forged and gave it a bobtail, ala Ed Brown," beamed Kurt, " it's a real tack driver."
    Hank ran his fingers over the dragon scale pattern on the MSH. The grips were Crimson Trace laser. Hank handed the pistol back to Kurt, who reloaded and quickly holstered.

"Well, I'll need some 12ga. 00 buck and some deerslug. They let me have one box at Walley World, but that's it." Kurt replied. Hank smiled, "I'll give ya a box of each and 100 rds. of .45 ball. How's that?" Hank asked.
    Kurt stuck out his hand,"That'll be fine."
    "Hell, I'll even throw in these ammo cans." Hank added, "so the total comes up to 10 Troy oz of silver."
    Kurt was satisfied and handed a 10 Troy oz ingot to Hank, "Thanks Hank."
    "Hey, I wish I could do more," replied Hank. Hank picked up a bandolier off the Blackhawk display and handed it to Kurt and loaded the ammo into the cans and they both carried the stuff to the front, stopping to pick up the gas mask, filters and case of MREs. Hank filled the canteens with filtered water from the water cooler stand and put them in the covers that he'd attached to the belt and helped Kurt load the stuff into his truck.

"Anyway, you got a route back home?", asked Hank.
    "Well, I figured on taking I-59 up to Knoxville and then on up from there." replied Kurt.
    "Well, it should be open, I reckon. At least thru Alabama." Hank said," I ain't heard otherwise from the Troopers. Take the 459, there at the station, head North and it'll take ya to the 59. Now go on back and fill those gas cans and that should be enough to get ya home. I'll call Betty Jo, it'll be alright. Good luck and it's damn good to meet ya, Kurt. If ya ever get back this way, look me up." They shook hands.
    "Will do. Thanks alot." With that, Kurt got into his rental truck and headed back to the gas station.

As Kurt pulled into the gas station, he saw black smoke on down the road, across the bridge. He pulled right up to a pump, got out and pulled the two cans from the back of the truck and set them on the ground. He heard the pump turn on. He turned and looked inside to see Betty Jo and Sarah waving at him. He waved back and began filling the gas cans. Once they were full, he put everything back and went inside.
    "Hello ladies," Kurt said in his most charming voice.
    "Well hello to you too," reponded Betty Jo.
    Kurt walked over to the deep sink and washed his hands. He turned, drying his hands with paper towels to see Sarah standing there with a large brown paper bag. She set it on the deli table. Kurt was surprised, "Wow, what's this?"
    "Just some homecooked food, for the road," she replied, "Some fried chicken and tater wedges.", her eyes sparkling.
    "We packed a cooler with tea and beer and ice." said Betty Jo," Now the beer is for when ya stop driving, so don't drink and drive."
    "Oh, I won't," Kurt assured her." How can I thank y'all, you've been too kind. Like family."
    "Well, there's a reason for that. You see, we lost our son in the Gulf War and you remind us of him. His name was Henry David and he'd be about your age now. I saw it in Hank's eyes as soon as I walked up front."
    Kurt could feel that frog coming up in his throat,"Wow, I didn't know. I'm sorry to hear that. I...."
    "Hush now, don't you fret none, we're happy to be able to help. We get to be a part of Hank's brother's kids. Betty Jo here is like a daughter me. So, you better get going, only a few hours before dark." said Sarah
    Kurt set the bag of food on top of the styrofoam cooler and picked it all up," Well, thanks so much, y'all. I don't know how to thank you."
    "You just get yourself home to your family,"said Sarah, "That's all."
    "Yeah, Thanks for coming along when you did, ealier, add Betty Jo.
    "Oh, btw, I saw smoke on down the road, past the bridge."
    "Oh, yeah, Uncle Hank called, heard on the scanner a truck caught on fire and burned clean up!", said Betty Jo,"Imagine that."
    Kurt nodded, but for the first time, saw a worried look in Sarah's eyes.
    "Well good luck," they both said together, as Kurt walked out the door.
    "You too." Said Kurt, over his shoulder.
    They both stood there and watched Kurt get in the truck and drive off. Kurt crossd the bridge and tuned left onto the on ramp.

Both hoping the other makes it.

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Kurt put it in the middle lane, set the cruise control to 68 and "let it ride'. He loved driving and he loved road trips. He remembered when he was a kid, his Dad( Kurt and his younger brother was raised by his Dad) used to always take them on road trips and one thing Kurt always did, he used to always 'ride shotgun' and he'd always stay awake and "watch the road" with his Dad ('cause he's the oldest, that was his job). He never knew if it was out of fear his Dad falling asleep at the wheel or if it was out of loyalty, but he always stayed awake as long as he could( which was never as long as Dad). Another thing, whenever they went on a "roadtrip', his Dad used to always stop at a KFC and get a bucket of chicken, "for the road" and they'd eat on that the whole way and he liked the thighs.

He realized he hadn't eaten since this morning and that was coffee, orange juice( he'd always get Tropicana, if he could), cereal and muffins from the 'Continental Breakfast' at the hotel. He'd put the cooler, with the bag on top, in the passenger floor, so he reached over and picked up the brown bag and put it in the seat next to him. He opened it up and reached in and grabbed a piece of chicken, it was still warm.
    "Damn, that's good," he said out loud. Seriously, that's some damn good chicken. He 'inhaled' that one and reached in and 'fished' for a thigh (thighs were his favorite). He tore into that one. Reminded him of a caveman. He grunted and 'ravaged' that thigh. While he ws 'fishing' he felt some napkins in the bag. He grabbed one and wiped his mouth. "Thankyou Sarah," he said to himself. He felt himself getting thirsty, so he carefully reached down and opened the cooler and got himself a tea. OH yeah, Snapple tea, he remembered the commercial,"Better stuff!" He said, "Better stuff!" out loud and laughed at himself. It was refreshing. He covered up the cooler, "Don't wanna let the beer get warm, " he thought. He laughed again( he cracked himself up, sometimes).

Then he remembered what Sarah'd said to him. He swelled up again. "What're the odds?", he thought. That'd they'd have a son his age, who was killed in combat and he'd reminded them of their son. Damn, he wished he'd've met Henry David. He'd never forget that name. He swore to himself, right then and there, the next son he has, he's gonna name him Henry David. What're the odds that he'd actually meet a fellow Marine, half way across the Country? There was miles to go and traffic was somewhat heavy( must be from folks evacuating from the Coast), but it was moving along, so Kurt replayed the whole thing back. He'd had a hellava 24 hours, so far.

He'd flown into Birmingham intl, 'got thru TSA', even tho they wanted to know about the weapons checked. He had to remind them of his Constitutional rights, as an American citizen, to travel with arms.
    The rental was a hassle. "Yes, I want a Ford ,4wd , king cab. I don't care where you have to get it from, I want one. Thankyou." After another 20 minutes of 'negotiating' ( no, I don't want a G6, no I don't want an Impala), he drove to the hotel.

They didn't have his reservation, so they had to call his company and verify reservations( meaning, get the money right). After sitting there for most of half an hour, they got it straightened out( oh, here's the reservation). They gave him a key and a map to his room. Of course, it was all they way in the back, up stairs ( he requested a non-smoking room). He got his 'stuff' up to his room, immediately turned the AC on high, ripped the bedspread of the bed (he'd heard some bad things about them) and took a shower. He got out and did the 'complemetary' "plop dive" on the bed and turned on the TV. He flipped thru the channels and settled on FoxNews and called his wife.
    It was good to hear her voice, as he loved his wife very much. Everything was fine, everything was working fine. One of the meat rabbits had 15 babies and they're all doing fine. Cher's ( she named the breeding does after female celebrities- one named Cher, one named Bette, one named Madonna, one named Haley, etc) taking real good care of them. They put away 3 lbs of goat cheese and collected 3 doz eggs and the garden's coming right along. The boys ( they had two boys- 8 and 10) are doin' their chores and takin' care of their critters just fine. We all miss you and please be careful and hurry home. It was the same ol' message( sometimes he wondered if she'd ever tell him if anything was wrong), but one he longed to hear. This was the worst part about traveling. Kurt missed his family. He wished he could be there, but he had to do this to afford that. Some day....

He'd gotten up( after that nightmare), grabbed another shower, thinking about the day. He'd fired the Super and had a meeting with the contractor and they decided to give him a week to straighten things out, or else. That's all he needed, 'cause every day he'd do something that'd turn this around. He'd done it before, this wasn't his first rodeo. He'd talked to the owner of the company( and used the botched hotel reservations as a reason to bitch about how he can't "fly like an eagle when he works with a bunch of turkeys") and to his wife the night before....everything was AOK. Life was good. But when he got up in the morning and turned on the TV, everything seemed to go to shit....
    After the beer( after the nightmare), Kurt grabbed a shower. A long, hot shower. He stood there and let the water hit his skin, massaging his muscles. The water pressure was good here. He turned and let the water hit his lower back. "Man, that felt good," he thought, "That must be one of those massage shower heads." He reached up and adjusted the showerhead to the pulsating message mode. He let the water hit the top of his head for awhile, then turned and let the water hit every muscle up his spine- starting at his lower back and on up to his shoulders and triceps and back down to his lower back. After a long while, he turned the water off, stepped out, grabbed a towel, wrapped it around his waist, grabbed another one and came out and turned the TV on ( to Fox News), more for background noise than anything else.

He went over to the 'kitchenette', to the coffee pot and made some coffee (they had the little coffee pot and the pkg of coffee in the filter and another pkg of cream and suger and a stirrer). WTF?, Kurt could never understand this... a coffee maker that makes 4 cups of coffee? 4 cups? Who's cup? Not mine. He's lucky if he got 1 mug outta that thing, with a little left over in the pot. That's ok, he's going to the 'Continental breakfast' (Kurt always stayed in a hotel with a breakfast and a 'food buffet' during 'Happy Hour' at the hotel lounge) anyway, he'd eat there and bank the per diem, an extra $550 a week.

The TV got his attention. He walked over, with his mug of coffee and sat on the end of the bed. Sure enough, Shep was on there....the "Alert" banner was at the bottom of the screen( and that stupid "Alert" sound every few minutes). Several screens were going behind him. One was a map of the Gulf (of Mexico) and the big circle of cloud that showed the huge hurricane that filled the Gulf. He's calling it Hurricane Obama.
    "Obama? How appropriate is that," Kurt thought,
    "... a big huge nasty storm that's gonna come ashore, from somewhere else and destroy this Country, for no rhyme or reason." Another screen showed Tampa Harbor and the huge fuel storage tanks( that held the fuel from the tankers that came in, that provided fuel to Central Florida), at least one was on fire and the sky was full of black smoke. One showed another harbor, off the Georgia coast, same thing. Shep was saying he had unconfirmed reports of terrorist cell attacks in Washington D.C., Philadelphia and L.A. Folks were taking to the streets. Several reports of looting in New York City and New Orleans and Los Angeles. Several Governors were calling the Natl Guard in to help with crowd control. Nagin was calling for Martial law in New Orleans, the NRA and GOA was fighting him. Kurt tried to call his boss, but got no signal. He reached over and called the front desk. They were not able to get any lines out. That's when Kurt decided it was time to pack up and get the heck outta Dodge and he's taking the rental...they could work it out later.

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A car horn brought Kurt back to the moment, he checked his speed. A old, beat up Cadillac sped by him with it's emergency lights on and horns a blarin'. It was about 3 different colors (if primer was a color).
    "Probably somebody's baby daddy gettin' baby mamma to the hospital," Kurt thought.
    It had an "Obama" sticker on back. He could see that over to his left, thru the trees, the sun was getting ready to set.
    Kurt's head was beginnning to hurt and his stomach was a little upset( that chicken musta been a little more greasy than he thought- but it sure was good at the time). He reached over, he had his Remmy in a soft case, open, right next to him, pointing down into the passenger floor, beside the styrofoam cooler. He had the Kimber in the holster on his waist( but he'd slid it over so it was crossdraw- more comfortable when driving) and his canvas bag( which carried his shaving kit, maps, fire starter kit, first aid kit, the flashlight, Kbar and compass Hank traded for) in the passenger seat. He reached over (the bag was open) and reached in and fished around for his "first aid" bag, which was a quart sized ziplock bag ( full of Advil, Alka-Seltzer, electrolite tabs, Neosporin, Blistex, Chapstick, band aids, butterfly sutures, etc)( he usually robbed them from the ANSI Construction first aid kits in the Contractors's office- they always had the best stuff). He found it, pulled it out, opened it with his teeth (...don't tell Dad)( he almost dropped the bag he smiled so big), put it in his lap and felt around ( he sure wished he could have an Alka-seltzer) until he found the Advil( he cold feel the gel caps by feel). He closed and put the bag away and grabbed another tea. Again, he opened the Advil with his teeth( don't tell Dad- it was a long running joke with his brother Tony, from when he got braces. Dad used to always say,"Don't use your teeth! I payed good money to get those teeth fixed,"blah,blah,blah)( Kurt was blessed with straight teeth). He wasn't sure what would happen with the job( but if half of this was true, that job'd shut down anyway. Besides, he needed to get home- come hell or high water). He still wasn't able to get service on his cell( He suddenly wondered how Hank and Sarah and Betty Jo was able to call each other). The GPS in the rental wasn't working, but Kurt was 'old school', he'd rather have a map anyway, so he wasn't alarmed, but that just confirmed his decision to get home. Hank said it wasn't as bad as it sounded, Kurt hoped he's right......
    Kurt could see the old Caddy had got right in front of him. He checked his mirrors and could see headlights a ways back( Kurt didn't like to travel in groups, so he'd always speed up to get away from a crowd). He saw tail lights off in the distance ahead. Right now, right here, it was just him and this car.

He saw the Caddy's brake lights flash, so Kurt tapped his brakes (to take the cruise control off) and grabbed the wheel with both hands. The Caddy bobbed and bowed right up in the road. Kurt had to swerve to avoid hitting it. He shot into the fast lane, sped up, passed the Caddy and drove back over to the middle lane. The Caddy sped up and caught up to Kurt. Kurt could see the caddy coming too close. The Caddy flashed it brights and bumped the truck.
    "What the Hell!?" Kurt said out loud. The bump caused Kurt to swerve, but he kept it between the lines, as this big ol' truck with it's big wheels was bigger than the Caddy. He didn't know what this guy's problem was, but he was playing a dangerous game. The Caddy pulled up next to him, in the fast lane. He looked over and had to look down on the Caddy. The window went down a man leaned out of the window. He looked familiar, he looked like the guy in the truck, back at the gas station! "Oh Hell, I guess they're pissed about the truck," Kurt thought. The dude was yelling and pointing at Kurt. He ducked back in, the Caddy swerved closer to truck. Kurt instinctively swerved to avoid being hit. He glanced over just in time to see a barrel come out the window. He slammed on his brakes, he heard the gunshot. He swerved over to the slow lane and sped up, but stayed behind the Caddy. He saw the sign to I-59, 1 1/2 miles. He saw the Caddy hit it's brakes to get along side of Kurt, but then Kurt floored it. Now it was a race, but Kurt had sped up first, so he went by the Caddy. Another shot, he heard something hit the back of his truck.
    "Ok, that's it!" Kurt was pissed,"You wanna play with guns!?"

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Kurt rolled down his window and pulled his Kimber. As the Caddy was pulling up, Kurt fired several rounds( good thing Hank gave him two 10-rd mags) at the front of the Caddy. Rounds hit the fender and went across the hood and across the windsheld in a diagonal pattern. The Caddy slammed on it's brakes and swerved away from Kurt, over two lanes into the fast lane. Kurt holsterd the Hi-Point and drove into the middle lane. He saw the I-59 sign again-3/4 mile. He saw the Caddy speed up and saw barrel of the gun come out the window again. This time Kurt swerved over and slammed into the Caddy and tried to push it off the road. He heard a shot and instinctively ducked away. He gave one more hard push and then swerved over to the right. He went all the way over, over the curb, across the grass and over another curb and onto the on ramp for I-59. He could see in his side mirror, the Caddy hit the guardrail, sparks flying and then it jumped up and got hung on the guardrail and slid to a stop.

Kurt was shaking, but he put the petal to the metal. All he wanted to do now it put as many miles as he could between him and those thugs......daylight was fading fast.
    Some time later, Kurt was still shaking. The tea bottle had fell into the floor and was rolling around his feet. He reached down and felt around 'til he found it and tossed it over in front of the cooler. He had to pee real bad and he wanted to see what the damage to the truck was, so he decided to pull over.

He'd passed a sign that said "Rest Area-10 miles", so it should be coming up shortly. He'd pull off there and use the restroom. Man, he could not believe what'd just happened. What a freakin' ordeal! He was very lucky he didn't get shot( 'specially that last time, when he knocked them off the road), or wreck the truck. He took a couple of deep breaths and held out his hand, it was still shaking, but not as bad. He saw the sign to exit to the rest area, so he got over and got off. He pulled in, it was cowded. He noticed, over to his right, folks were camping. He wished he had a tent, that's what he'd do. He saw a parking spot so he pulled in and shut the truck off. He layed the pancho over the Remmy so if anyone looked in, it wouldn't just be laying out in the open. He tried to open his door, but it wouldn't open. He pulled the handle again and hit the door with his shoulder and it unlatched, but wouldn't open. The window would only roll down about half way.

Just then, a dude, about Kurt's age, was walking by and noticed him trying to get out of his truck and walked over. "Need some help?" he asked. "Well, I can't seem to get my door open,"replied Kurt. "Yeah, I can see why. The door's beat ta hell and this whole side's been smashed, but I think we can get it open."Push it open like you did." With that Kurt pushed and the dude put his foot against the truck and pulled and it came open a little. Between the two of them, they got the door open. Kurt could hear metal scraping against metal. Kurt stepped out, slammed the door shut, opened it again and shut it again. "I guess it'll be alright." He held out his hand,"Thanks man, I'm Kurt."
    "Jimmy," he said, shaking Kurt's hand firmly. "What the heck happened to yer truck?"
    "Oh, it's a long story," Kurt replied.
    "Well, me and my family's camping out right back there. You're welcome to join us."
    "Well, ok, but I gotta take care of some business and I'll come check y'all out. Say you're right over there?"
    "Yep, but I wouldn't carry that gun in there, it's pretty crowded in there and folks might ask questions."
    " Oh yeah, you're right." Kurt just realized it was showing.
    "Ok, see ya in a bit," with that Jimmy continued walking to his campsight.
    " Ok, see ya. Thanks again." He seemed like one of the good guys.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Kurt opened the door ( it still opened rough, but it opened). He covered the Kimber with his shirt. He didn;t go anywhere without it. He grabbed his keys, slammed the door and walked to the restroom. The horn blipped when he hit the key lock, startled him. "Man, you need to calm down, " he thought to himself. His muscles were weak from the adrelaline dump( plus he'd been driving for a few hours) and he had a bit of a problem walking.

The restrooms were crowded. He had to wait in line for a awhile, then it was his turn. "AHHHHH. how do you spell relief? P...I...S...S." he thought. He zipped up and waited to wash his hands, as all the sinks were full of folks washing up. He finished up and went into the main lobby to look at the map. Folks were milling around, children were standing in front of the vending machines. It was good to see kids, but he hoped they'd be alright, on the road like this. He said a little prayer for them. Kurt found himself scanning everybody's face...just in case. Kurt could feel an energy in the air. There was something going on. Alot of folks had worried, confused look on their faces, like the answer might be in the lobby. They were just glad to be around other people, but he saw a couple of shady characters looking at the same thing. He walked over to the map. He found where he was. Ok, he was close to the State line, a little less than half way. He should be home by this time tomorrow night, the Lord willin'. With that, he walked back to his truck, noone the wiser about his pistol.

When he got back to his truck, he unlocked it and reached in and got the flashlight. He wanted to see the damage, but then he changed his mind. "Heck with it, I'l see it later," he thought. He went around to the other side and opened the door. He picked up the cooler with the brown bag on top, turned around and closed the door with his butt. "Well, let's see what we can get into now," Kurt said under his breath.
    Kurt started walking out back, towards where Jimmy said they'd be, but it was kinda hard to tell, 'cause there's so many tents. Kurt was surpirised to see campfires. "I guess they're not worried about the law, 'round here." Kurt thought.
    "Hey Kurt, over here!" ...it was Jimmy.
    Kurt walked toward him. He could see two big tents, side by side and two full sized vans on either end, making like a 'horseshoe'. The vans were situated so that the side doors pointed in towards the camp and both had the doors open and the radios on, tuned the same channel- country music and when ya stood in the middle, it made like a cool stereo effect.There was a good sized fire pit, it was rectangular and kinda closed in the end of the 'horseshoe'(kinda in the middle). One end had glowing hot coals, had a grill over it and a young woman was tending to food on it. Several folding chairs were around the fire, at the other end. Kurt set the cooler down. "This is doable," he thought.

"Welcome to 'tent city'," said Jimmy. " Welcome to 'Bar None' Ranch. The critters're out back. Have a seat." There was a another dude sitting in one of the other chairs. "This here's Chris. He's a good friend of mine. Him and his family. This is Kurt."
    They shook hands, "How ya doin'."
    Jimmy continued,"And that's my wife Ronda over there, she got KP tonite." She nodded without speaking. Kurt picked up the brown bag,"Well, I have some fried chicken and tater wedges here."
    "Hell yeah," said Jimmy. "Somethin' besides hotdogs and pork 'n' beans."
    Kurt walked over and handed the bag to Ronda, "No problem, I'm just glad it'll get ate." Kurt walked back over.
    "So, what's in the cooler?" asked Jimmy.
    "Jimmy!" snapped Ronda.
    "Well Honey, he brought it over here." Jimmy replied.
    "Well, funny you should ask." Kurt reached in and pulled out 3 beers.
    "Woohoo! I's hopin' you'd say that!"
    Kurt handed them to the guys, "Ronda?"
    "Oh, no thanks, somebody has to watch these 'critters'."
    Kurt was waiting for the retort, but it didn't come. He took a chair.
    3 'pshhts', "To friendship," offered Jimmy, raising his beer."Here, here, "replied Chris.
    "Tampai," said Kurt. Then all 3 took a swig.

"So, what's y'all's story?" asked Kurt.
    "Well, we's all down in Meridian (Ms), We's both in the Navy, there at the Navy base, but then we got out and was workin' at the Peavey( music co.) plant, 'til last april. They laid off a bunch a folks, including us, so we split and been living on the road ever since. We got folks in Knoxville, so we're heading up there. I reckon a real **** storm is comin'," said Jimmy. "SO, what's yours?"
    "Hey, I went to school there, NAS( Naval Air Station) Meridian, back in '94-'95! I's in the Marine Corps, Aviation. The school's there."
    "Alright, a Jarhead!"
    "At ease, Squid!" they all 3 laughed and raised their cans and took another swig."Yeah, what about that? I heard on the news this morning," Kurt replied. "There's a Cat 5 in the Gulf. Supposed to hit landfall tonite and reports of terrorist attacks, then the TV went out, the phones went out, my cell was out, so I decided to get my butt home."
    "Where's home?"
    "Eastern Ky." Kurt was glad he grabbed the 'Emergency wide band' radio outta the truck. He turned it on and dialed it in to weather.
    The radio said the Hurricane had stalled in the Gulf and was building strength, it'd probably hit landfall sometime tomorrow. He turned it over to try to find some kinda news about the terrorist attacks.
    "Well, maybe we can all ride together."
    "There IS strength in numbers."

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Suddenly, some kids came from around the van. "So those must be the 'critters' " thought Kurt. He smiled.
    "Hey, who's that?" The oldest girl( Kurt guessed 11) asked.
    "Kids, this is my new friend Kurt. He's gonna hang out with us for awhile."
    Another young woman trailed them,"That's Tracy, Chris's wife and that's Dana, Denice and Cindy."
    "Hello," said Kurt.
    "Hello, yourself." Tracy walked over the the far van.
    "Tracy's got child care duty," said Jimmy.
    "Oh yeah, and what do the men got?" asked Tracy. Ronda smiled.
    "Well, hello, who set up camp? who set up the tents?" "We all did!" The two women said together. Who dug and built the fire? Us men. I'm keeper of the flame. Besides, I'm charmin' and good lookin'."
    Ronda raised up and pointed the tongs at Jimmy, "Well don't break yer arm pattin' yerself on the back!"
    Chuckles all around. "Oh, she got ya dude,"said Chris.
    "I'll get her, later on tonite." The guys smiled. Kurt was suddenly homesick.

The kids( Kurt guessed 7 to 11) hadn't heard Jimmy's remark, as they'd followed Tracy over to the van and got drinks. The oldest youngin' walked over to the grill. "Hey, is that chicken?"
    "Yes, but it's for the grown ups. The kids get the hotdogs." said Ronda.
    "Awww, hotdogs again?"
    "Hey, be glad you got that. You're gonna miss'em when they're gone. Then it's cup-o-soup."
    Kurt spoke up," Hey, do y'all have canned bisquits?"
    "Uhh, yes, why?" asked Ronda. By then the other two girls had come over.
    "Well, when I was a kid, we used to take a hotdog, stick it on a stick, wrap it with a canned bisquit and hold it over the fire 'til it was done. That was fun and gooood. we called 'em 'pig-in-a- blanket'."
    "Pig in a blanket?" asked the youngest.
    "Ooooh, mommy, can we try that? Please, please?" the oldest begged.
    Ronda looked at Jimmy. Jimmy said, "Sure, why not."
    "Yay!" the 3 girls raised their arms and jumped and danced around Tracy.
    "Chris, will you go get the sticks?' asked Tracy.
    "Sure honey."
    "Take the kids with ya, so they can pick 'em out."
    Chris looked hard at her, got up and grabbed a flashlight, "Come along, ladies."

Tracy came over and sat in one of the chairs. "Man, I'm tired a chasin' latnin' bugs (she emphasized it that way). Hey, is that beer?"
    Kurt reached into the cooler, "Yeah, you want one?"
    "Does a bear **** in the woods?" Tracy said, without skipping a beat. Jimmy and Chris laughed.
    "Ahhh, Natty Ice. Yummy. Cheap and gets the buzz on. Only good ice cold."
    "6%, works for me. The skanky taste makes sure I don't drink too much."
    They all laughed, except Ronda.

Kurt could tell Tracy was having more fun than Ronda was. Tracy was a skinny little thing, but solid and acted like one of the guys. Ronda was more reserved, reminded Kurt of Sarah. He imagined that that's what Sarah looked like when she was younger. They were all a bit younger than Kurt. He suddenly felt older. Jimmy looked like Axle Rose from G'n'R and Chris looked like Slash, only his hair wasn't so long, but he had a nice 'fro thing goin'.

Chris came back with the girls, each holding a stick. He sat back down and grabbed his beer.
    Kurt stood up,"Ok, now we have to shave the bark off the end of the sticks."
    With that he took out his pocket knife and quickly shaved the bark off of the skinny end of the sticks with the edge of his knife, making sure they were down about skewer size( he had to whittle a couple). He walked over to Ronda.
    "Now we have to stick a hotdog on the end of the stick. You know, I have two boys about ya'll's age."
    "What's their names?" asked Cindy.
    "Erik and Jr."
    Ronda walked over to the van to get the canned bisquits.
    Kurt picked up a hotdog and skewered it onto the youngest's stick. Then did the same thing to the other two. Ronda returned with the can of bisquits and handed it to Kurt. She also had some paper plates.
    "Good," said Kurt. He peeled the paper from around the can and it burst open. He twisted open the 'can' and let a few bisquits fall onto the paper plate.
    "Now, we need to flatten a bisquit and spread it out so it can wrap around the hotdog."
    Ronda layed the plate on a 'fold up' table, she'd set up to work on and began to flatten and work the dough like an expert. After one was flattened , she stood and wrapped it around the youngest's hotdog. They stood in line. Kurt was impressed.
    "Ok, now come over here and hold it over the fire. Don't get too close. Don't put it right in the flames, but hold it over it."
    Ronda wrapped the other two and they came over. The oldest took over, right away," Cindy, get yours outta the fire, you'll burn it."

All of a sudden, things got quiet. Kurt, Jimmy, Chris and Tracy were watching the kids, staring into the fire, listening to the radio (Garth Brook's "The river" was on), listening to the kids and wondering what tomorrow'd bring. Ronda was tending to the chicken and taters.
    "This is cool, Daddy"
    "...And I will sail my vessel"
    "I want mine to be dark brown."
    "When will these be done?"
    "...like a bird upon the wind, these waters are my sky."
    "Ya gotta keep turnin' it" Kurt added.
    "Oooh, look, mines turnin' brown!"
    "Mine ain't doin' nothin' "
    "... so I will sail my vessel, 'til the river runs dry."
    "When will these be done?"
    "They're gettin' big."
    "Hey, mine's startin' to look like a corndog."
    "...choose to chance your rapids and dare to dance that tide."
    "Cindy, ya gotta keep it outta the fire, you'll burn the outside and it'll be raw on the inside." said Jimmy. "Here, let me help ya." With that, Jimmy took the stick and began roastin' a pig-in-a-blanket. So the youngest was Jimmy and Sarah's.
    Chris spoke up,"Denice, ya gotta keep turnin' it, so it gets brown all over. Here, let me help you." He took the middle one's and he began roasting it.
    "Dana, how you doin?" Tracy asked.
    "Oh I'm doin fine, Mamma." she answered," Mine's almost done."
    Kurt could tell she's real independant, "Like her Mamma," thought Kurt.
    "...So I will sail my vessel, 'til the river runs dry."

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well this Chicken and taters is done. They's already cooked, just needed to be heated up." said Ronda.
    Tracy got up and went over and got a paper plate( they had those woven split bamboo 'paper plate holders') and then walked over to Ronda. Ronda picked up a breast and put it on her plate, then put 3 tater wedges on there. Tracy went back to the table , where Ronda had set up catsup and mustard and hot sauce. There was a roll of paper towels there too.
    "Kurt?" Ronda asked.
    "Oh no, y'all go ahead, I had some earlier."
    "Well I want some," said Jimmy.
    "Feed your daughter first," relpied Ronda," I'll save ya some"
    "Well, this here's done," said Chris," Here ya go honey. Just put some mustard on that puppy and it'll be good."
    "Mustard, eeew!" said Denice.
    With that, Chris jumped up and went to get a plate.
    " Ya'll save me some," said Jimmy, as he was twirlin' that stick like crazy.
    "Don't worry Honey, there's plenty." replied Ronda, as she took all the food off the grill and set it on the table.
    "Man this is good!" said Tracy. "Who cooked this?" Everyone voiced in agreement, while eating.

"Yeah, and what happend to yer truck?" asked Jimmy. "I's tellin' 'em about how yer truck is all smashed and how we had to pry the door open."
    So Kurt set about tellin' the story from the 'run-in' with the thugs at the gas station, to meetin' Hank and Sarah to running into the thugs on the interstate and driving them off the road.
    All eyes were wide open. The view was comical to Kurt. Here was these folks, feedin' their faces, with their eyes bugged wide open.
    "The hell you say," said Chris.
    "No, Dude, I saw it! Like I's tellin' ya, his truck is smashed!" Jimmy jumped in, as if part of the story.
    "Gunshots and bullet holes?" asked Chris.
    "Yep" said Kurt. Then he turned to the kids. "Hows those pig in a blanket?'
    "Mmmmmmm" they said,"Mommy, can we have this all the time?"
    "Well, I thought you didn't want hotdogs anymore!" said Tracy with mock disappointment.
    "This is good!" Said Denice.
    "Hey, let's go look at your truck." said Jimmy.
    Kurt stood up and took out 4 more beers and handed them to Jimmy, then said," Man I'm really tired, I've had a long day. Let's look at it tomorrow. I'm gonna call it a nite."
    "Yeah , these kids need to finish eating and wash up for bed." said Ronda.
    "Well, where ya gonna sleep?" asked Jimmy
    "Oh, I'll just sleep in the truck, it's a king cab, there's plenty of room."
    "ok, see ya in the morning."
    Kurt picked up the radio and the cooler,"Nite all."
    "Goodnight!" everybody said.
    Kurt walked back, put the cooler away and climbed in. Those are good folks, but he wonderd about his own family. How're they doing? He knows Ellie will be worried about not talking. He tried his cell phone again. No luck. That just doesn't make sense. What could it be? He was so tired, he drifted off and fell right to sleep....
    "Kurt found himself chugging along in Ch53E helicoptor. He was manning a minigun, watching the terrain go by. He was scanning, looking for anyone pointing a gun at them. Surprisingly, his vision was very acute and people were easy to see. "Whisky Tango Foxtrot, we're on approach to the LZ", he could hear in his headphones. "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?" he thought, "That sounds just like..." Just then the back end exploded, "BLAM!!" "Mayday! Mayday! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, we've been hit. I repeat, we're goin' down!" Kurt could hear the WAP,WAP WAP! of the rotors and see they were going into a spin. The chopper was shakin' to beat hell, Kurt had to grab hold. He turned to see a wall of fire coming towards him. He knew right then he had to decide, right then...either jump or get B-BAR'd(burnt beyond all recognition). JUMP!!

Wap, wap, wap, rap, rap....Kurt sprang up...Damn, another dream. He
    rubbed his eyes. It was Jimmy at the window. He rolled it down.
    "Hey man, can you give us a hand?"
    "Sure, what's up?"
    "All hell's broke loose!" With that Jimmy ran back to his campsite.
    Kurt looked around. Folks were leaving, the wind was blowing..HARD, it was shaking his truck. Kurt looked back at the tents, the trees were blowing back and forth...HARD. He climbed out of the truck, grabbed a tea. He realized that he'd slept with his pistol in his belt. He looked at the sky....he saw a black cloud covering the sky, but it was very light at the horizon. He felt an energy. He'd seen this before. Tornado. "Must be from the Hurricane," he thought. He went back to Jimmy's camp site. Lightening was striking every few minutes. He saw that one of the tents was gone. The adults were busy taking down the other tent. Kurt finished the tea, tossed the bottle and went right over.
    "The other tent is over the fence!" yelled Jimmy.
    Kurt looked over and sure enough, saw the tent rolling away. "We need to go get it!"

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK! Let's go!" yelled Jimmy, "Y'all got this!?" They nodded.
    Kurt and Jimmy ran over to the fence, climbed over it and ran after the tent. They sprinted (almost raced) to the tent and got ahold of it. They immediatley started taking the poles off it and throwing them down, then stepping on the tent to take the air out. They got it bundled and Jimmy picked up the tent, while Kurt gathered the poles. They walked back to the fence and tossed the stuff over. They climbed over the fence and picked the stuff up. Jimmy walked over to the van. "Just put it in here." he said. They put the stuff away and went over to help the others. They'd had everything taken apart and was packing it up to put away.
    "We'd better get going!" said Jimmy?
    "Going to where?" asked Kurt.
    "We can outrun this!"
    "We don't know anything!" replied Kurt, "There could be a tornado anywhere!"
    "So whatta ya sayin'?" asked Jimmy.
    "I'm saying, that building is a shelter! We should hold out in there, there's a vending machine and restrooms. I'll take my multi-band radio and we can figure out what's goin' on! Remember, you wanted to travel together, well, this is my vote!"
    Jimmy looked at Kurt,"OK! I'll go tell the others!" "well, pull up into the parking lot!" "Yeah!" with that, Jimmy ran back to the vans. It started to rain.

Kurt ran back to his truck. He grabbed his shaving kit and the radio." Thanks Hank." he thought. He walked over the the vans and helped get the kids out and walked them into the rest area building.
    The kids went right over to the vending machines. The adults found a table and 'stationed' themselves right there. Kurt set his radio down and turned it on to weather.
    "I repeat, a tornado warning for most of Central, south Central Mississippi and Alabama, a tornado watch for all points North Central, North, as Hurricane Obama makes landfall, with the center of the storm tracking to make landfall at Mobile."
    That's just South of us, said Ronda.
    "I know, Honey," replied Jimmy.
    "Mommy, can we get something?" asked Dana.
    "No, now y'all just had breakfast."
    "Just some cereal and poptarts!" she said.
    Tracy put her finger to her lips for Dana to be quiet.

Kurt looked around the lobby. Several other folks had the same idea. He nodded to a couple sittin' at another table. He saw the same shady characters from last night. He gave them a hard look. He spoke up,"Well, if y'all'll excuse me, I need to freshen up." They nodded, listening intently to the radio and Kurt walked towards the restroom.

He was glad to get into the restroom. A couple of other folks were washing up and he just nodded and bellied up to a sink. He turned on only hot and was glad it came on. Kurt's shaving kit was the "old fashioned" kind, black, fake leather, zip up the middle. He remembered his Dad had one and guessed that's why he had one. He'd collected lil shampoos, deoderants, soaps and toothpastes from the hotels he stayed in, and a washcloth. He pulled it out, held it under the hot water and put it to his face. It was hot, but it also felt good, he got used to it quick. He thought of his dream. Man, that was weird. He reached down and turned on some cold and continued to wash his face and brush his teeth. "****, shower and shave...some things never change." he thought.

He walked back into the lobby and walked over to their table and saw a comotion over across the lobby. "what's up?"
    "Oh those creeps are hassling that old couple over there." snorted Tracy.
    It was those to shady characters, they decided to make their move.
    "Y'all stay here."
    "Be careful bro."
    Kurt walked over. "Is there a problem here?"
    "Not your problem, hero, get lost." said one of the thugs.
    "These men want money." said the older lady.
    "Shut up, gramma." said the other.
    Kurt stepped back into a defensive stance, "I think you two need to leave."
    "Oh yeah, or what?" said one. The other began circling Kurt.
    The first threw a punch and Kurt's Aikido kicked in. He instinctively sidestepped the punch and stepped to the thug's back. He 'karate chopped" that nerve at the top of his forearm with his right hand and then grabbed it. At the same time he grabbed the guy at the back of his neck with his left hand and began turning to his right, pulling the guy off balance. At about half way around a full circle, Kurt sharply turned back to the left, shifted his hips and clotheslined the guy hard across the throat with his forearm. The thug came off his feet and hit the floor, gasping for air. Kurt squared off to other thug, "Now get him and get outta here! Leave and don't come back!" he hissed. Jimmy and the others had come over,"Yeah! Get out!" yelled Tracy. The thug picked up his buddy and they scampered out.
    "Man, that was some Steven Siegal ****!"

"Thankyou." said the old man, as he stood up.
    "Oh don't worry about it, we good folks need to stick together."
    "I saw those children wanting a snack, may I ?" asked the old woman, as she opened her purse and pulled out a change purse.
    "Well, they're not my kids, you'll have to ask them," motioning to the two couples behind him.
    "Oh sure." said the two girls and they walked over with the old woman.
    "I'm Stan." said the old man, holding out his hand. "That's my wife Mildred."
    "Kurt," he said as he shook Stan's hand, "and this is Jimmy and Chris."
    "Boy, it's a good thing you came over when you did, they were gonna drag us outta here. I wonder what brings out the worst in people, when time's are hard."
    "Well, I like to think it brings out the best in folks," replied Kurt.
    "I guess so, this time."
    "well that's the one that matters."
    "Do you need anything?"
    "Oh no, we just thought we'd stay here 'til it got better. You bet I don't need to get too far from the restroom, uhh? A lesson to you youngsters."
    That brought a smile on Kurt's face. He's glad he stepped in.
    "Let's go see what the ladies're up to, before they get all the goodies in the machine." said Jimmy.
    "Y'all go ahead," said Kurt. "I'm gonna check something." with that he walked
    out the same direction as the thugs.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He walked out and there was a partition wall, still under cover, before you went out from under cover. He stopped there and looked, it was still raining, only harder now. He saw the two thugs had went to their van and got a rifle and as walking back to the building. The one he clotheslined was holding the rifle and walking in front. He was walking fast, he was mad. Kurt just backed up alittle, behind the partition, drew his pistol, assumed a modified Weaver stance and waited. When he heard them stamp up to the concrete, he stepped out and aimed COM. "Stop!."
    The thug began to raise the rifle and Kurt squeezed off several rounds, zippering him up the middle, ending with two to the cranium. He dropped, the other thug turned to run.
    "Wait!" Kurt demanded."Get this piece of **** and get outta here!"
    "Don't Shoot! I'll do it. Don't shoot. Oh ****, Devon!"
    Kurt watched as the thug drug his partner across the parking lot and put him into the van and drive outta the rest area.
    By then, Jimmy, chris and several others had run out. "What happened?"
    "They were coming back with a rifle." Kurt said, as he put the pistol in his belt, covered it with his shirt and walked back in, leaving them to look at the blood on the pavement.

Kurt walked thru the lobby, the kids and the women were standing over by the vending machines. Ronda looked up. He kept on walking out the other side, walked out and got in his truck. He needed a beer. He reached in the cooler and fished for one. He popped the top, took a long swig and just sat there, watching it rain. The rain sounded good on the hood. Man he missed his family...he tried the cell phone again...it didn't work...he felt so alone.....he began to cry.....
    Kurt knew men weren't supposed to cry ( he thought of his Dad, the only time he'd seen him cry was on his death bed, 5 yrs ago), but he learned at a young age, when he felt overwhelmed, a good cry was just what he needed. He'd have good cry and then pick himself up and go on. This was one of those times.

He kept replaying the scene in his mind, it was so surreal. The first two shots caused the thug to jerk, but then one hit him right in the mouth. He saw his mouth go open and teeth shattering. He saw his eyes wide open in disbelief, just before double tapping two right into his forehead. He was already aiming at COM of the other thug before the first one hit the ground( his head hit the pavement hard and Kurt could hear it break- he thought of a bowling ball). The only reason he didn't shoot him was 'cause he had his hands up and was crying and begging for his life.

Kurt composed himself, reloaded his pistol, grabbed his shaving kit and ran to the restroom( which was under cover). The rain felt good on his face. "****, shower and shave"...in that order. He couldn't get that 'scene' out of his mind ( teeth fragments flying out of mouth). He took his 'kit' back to the truck and grabbed a clean shirt and a tea. It was raining buckets, sideways, in sheets. Trying to stay dry was futile. Kurt didn't fight it. He stuffed the clean shirt into a plastic bag and ran the restroom again and changed his shirt, stuffing the dirty shirt into the bag and tying it off. He went into the lobby to join the others.

Several other folks , who saw what'd happened, were standing around.
    "Man, are you ok?" Jimmy voiced what everybody was thinking.
    "Yeah, as good as can be."
    "Oh sure," said Stan. "That's always a hard thing to do, but just think what'd happen if he made it in here with that rifle."
    All was quiet.
    "Well, we're glad you're Ok, said Ronda.
    "Thanks. Hey, we all stick together, right? Take care of each other."
    A dozen people were standing around, but they voiced in the affirmative.

Btw, Stan, where're ya'll headed?"
    "We'll travel with you folks, if it's ok." Said Stan. Mildred smiled and nodded.
    Several other men spoke up, all saying the same thing, "We'd like to hang out, if it's ok. You have the radio."
    "well, it's ok with me," Kurt looked the other two couples.
    "Hey, ok by me," said Jimmy.
    "Yeah," said the others.
    "Besides, I see 3 young ladies that need some spoiling." added Mildred, pleased at the outcome. The 3 girls stood around Mildred and she pinched Denice's cheeck. Chris looked at Tracy.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, what's the scoop with the weather?" asked Kurt.
    "Well, there's tornado warnings all around just South of here and tornado watches all over. The Hurricane is chuggin' in at 18mph, with sustained winds over a 100mph." said, Jimmy, who'd held the radio since Kurt set it down.
    "Well, whatta y'all think?" ased Kurt?
    "Waddaya mean?" asked Chris.
    "What do you think?" asked Stan.
    "Well, we can stay here and ride out the storm, or try and make a break for it." replied Kurt. "If the Hurricane tracks West, we'll drive away from it, but if it tracks East, we'll be right in the middle of it. If we stay here, we've got a strong building with restrooms. These buildings are built to be shelters in bad storms. I think we should stay here."
    "Well we aint stayin'!, said a man in the back. "We'll take our chances,"
    His wife touched his arm,"John, please."
    "No, Martha, we can make it and I want to get home!" retorted John.
    Martha's face went sullen, but she just stood there.
    "Listen, I can't tell nobody what to do, but we're in this together, can't we talk about it?" asked Kurt.
    "No, we're NOT in this together, I have my own mind and I say we go!" retorted John. With that he turned and walked out."Let's go!" Martha flashed a very worried look and turned and followed.
    "Martha!" called Tracy.
    Martha paused, but without turning back, walked out.

The others spoke up, "We agree, this is our best chance, we'll stay and ride the storm here."
    "Yeah" said others.
    "Count us in" said more.
    "We're in."
    Kurt could see this'd got real big, real fast. There was about 20 people there. "Ok, so, for all practical purposes, we take over this building."
    Hell yeah! said Jimmy." "Bar None Ranch!"
    "Ok, so we need to get organized. Anybody got any ideas?" Kurt was fishing.
    "Well, I think we should just bust open that vending machine and take the stuff out." Said one.There was some voicing of agreement, but Kurt spoke up.
    "Listen, bad idea. We WILL remain civilized, or we're no better than those two thugs."
    "That's not your machine, why do you care?" he said.
    "Hey, it's not about the machine! It's about doin' the right thing. That's not yours either. That belongs to someone else who's trying to make a living. Just because there's some trouble, don't mean we start TAKING property. You either put the money in and buy the product, or do without!" Kurt rested his hand close to his pistol.

"Yeah!" Jimmy jumped in.
    Ronda spoke up," Listen, we don't want no trouble. There's plenty of room here in this building. Why don't we work together? We have plenty of food and we'll share."
    "Yeah," Kurt added," I really think that if we pool our resources and cooperate, we'll be in good shape."
    "Waddaya mean?" some asked.
    "Well, the main lobby here is our living quarters." said Kurt. "Living room by day, bedrooms by night. The restrooms are right there, this is an ideal place. We have running water, even cold." pointing to the water fountains, as long as the electricity holds out."
    "Ok, we're in." was a resounding reply.
    "Ok," Kurt continued, "we need to get organized. We need to a kitchen and food, maybe get all the food together and a couple of grills set up outside, out of the wind. We need a medical station, we need child care and we need a security team. We need to split up into those groups and get going. Everyone, go get your coolers, food, first aide kits, medical supplies, toiletries, board games, anything that'll make this stay better."
    People filed out of the building.

"I'm a doctor." replied one woman.
    "I'm a nurse," said the other woman. "Me too," said a man. They looked at each other.
    "Ok, what do y'all need?" asked Kurt.
    "Well, we need some space and some tables and chairs." was the reply.
    'OK, who wants to help with that?"
    Several folks raised their hands.
    "Ok, go with them."
    They set about dragging two tables together. "I'll need to go get my bag," said the Doctor.
    The two nurses said the same, "We'll get our stuff, too."

"Hey can I get some help here. I wanna drag the rest of the tables into the middle of the lobby and just put them together, so we have alot of space all around the lobby." said Kurt. Several jumped in.

The folks were already gathering in groups, "Ok, who has child care experience?" asked Kurt.
    Several raised their hands, "I'm a teacher" said one.
    "Ok, your in charge of child care, who's her helpers?"
    Several raised their hands, including Mildred. They gathered up the the children and moved over to a corner of the lobby.

"Ok, we need food. Who wants to take care of that? Ronda spoke up, "We will. Come on guys." She grabbed Jimmy and Chris and Tracy."OK, folks, we need all your coolers and ice and any food you can spare! Who has a grill?"
    "I do!" said an elderly man. People started walking out.
    'Jimmy, Chris, will y'all go get the grills?"
    "Sure thing."
    "Tracy, we'll need a list of all the food , so we know what we got. We need to start making food....sandwiches and soup.
    Help me go get the folding tables and food."
    "Ok."

Kurt walked over to a group of obvious prior military (took one to know one).
    "Ok, is this our security team? Who's had security training?" asked Kurt.
    "Well, I'm a police officer, retired. I've been SWAT and hostage negotiation."
    Kurt went directly to him and stuck out his hand."I'm Kurt."
    "Frank."
    "Ok, Frank, you're in charge of security. What'll you need?"
    "Well, I heard what you did today, that was a righteous shoot. That scumbag woulda shot some folks. I need you."
    The other guys agreed and wanted to shake his hand.
    "Thanks guys, but I'm needed elsewhere. I'll join ya whenever I can, but for now, what else?"
    "Guns, ammo, flashlights, 2 way radios, whistles, whatever we can gather. Ok, who has guns?"
    Several raised their hands, "ok, let's get this gear and get going." said Frank.
    "I got some stuff, Frank, I'll get it." said Kurt

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some folks had that 'deer in the headlight' look. "Ok, folks, everybody needs to help out with something. Don't wait for an invitation. Either go help with the food or the children or medical or security, or you can leave." Everybody disbursed.

Kurt walked out to his truck and got in. He looked around, folks were in their vehicles, pulling stuff out and carrying it back into the building. Most had donned their rain gear. He saw Jimmy and Chris carrying grills from a big RV and a camper, over in the RV parking. He noticed he'd parked in a good spot, he could see the entrance and the exit. "Huh, well that's cool," he thought. He reached over and pulled out a tea. Only a few left. The ice had turned to mostly water with a few bits of ice floating in it. Kurt was surpised it lasted that long. The rain had settled into a steady downpour and it was still windy, but not near as bad as it was earlier. He reachd over the seat to the back and fished for his rain suit. "Somebody'd be able to use it," he thought. He zipped up the case his Remmy was in and reached into his bag and pulled out his flashlight and binoculars and put them around his neck. He got out and put on the pancho. He laughed at himself, "Alot of good this is doing, I'm already wet." He grabbed the gun case and walked back in.

He walked over to Frank. "Can you use this?" He layed the gun case on a table and zipped it open. "What ya got there? Oh a Remington 11-87. Looks like a 'police magnum'. Hell yeah, I'll carry that myself!" He pulled the Remmy out of the case, press checked it, checked the safety and slipped on the 3 point sling. Then he pulled his revolver and opened the cylinder and checked it and closed the cylnder and reholstered.
    "Well, you might need this," and he handed Frank the loaded bandoleir. Frank put it on and nodded to Kurt, then turned," Ok, men , litsten up." He looked them over and said," Ok, we're gonna break it down to 3, 4 man teams. We'll split the building up into 4 sections, with the doors being the lines, which means that you patrol from a door to a door. We'll go 4hrs on, 4 off. When you're off, eat, spend time with your family and then get some sleep. Men, I need ya sharp while on duty. We've got binoculars, I want eyes out there. I wanna know who comes up, BEFORE they get up on us. We have whistles and radios. I have a radio and will be monitoring at all times. We've got 4 shotguns w/flashlites, 2 AKs, 2 ARs and variuous handguns. We don't care if everyone carries OC, but let me make this clear...the guns are ONLY for a lethal confrontation, in self defense. The whistle is for everything else. Any sign of trouble, blow the whistle and we'll all come running, EXCEPT IF YOU'RE ON PATROL. Thats right, if you're on patrol, STAY THERE, stand your ground, there could be trouble elsewhere and we need eyes at the 360. Oh, if I catch a man sleepin' on patrol, I shoot him and take his post." The men smiled. Kurt knew Frank'd protect them.

A small group walked up to Kurt and Frank. "Excuse us, but why the guns?"
    "Yeah, this is like the Gestapo." Said a girl, with one side of her head shaved.
    "Well, missy....." started Frank.
    "Hold on, Frank." said Kurt. With that he turned and blew the whistle hard. "Everybody, could I have your attention please! Would everyone gather 'round here for a minute! Could someone tell the folks outside to come in? Thanks!" After most the folks seemed to be there, Kurt spoke again, "First, I just wanted say that when you hear the whistle, something's wrong or we want to hold a meeting, but we'd like everyone to gather here for further info. Now, some have asked why we need guns. As some saw this morning, it's just necessary. We have guns for our own protection, 'cause there's bad people out there who might want to come in here and hurt us, maybe kill us. If anybody disagrees with this, they're free to leave. Nobody's holdin' ya here. As matter of fact, everyone knows they're free to come and go, right?
    "Yeah, sure, what's this about?"
    "Well, we won't stay here in the Fascist regime!" said the shaved girl and several young people walked out, with rasied fists. "Power to the people!"
    "Anybody else?" asked Kurt.
    "They were trouble anyway," someone in the back said,"They didnt wanna do anything."
    "Well, we all need to pitch in and help wherever we can. Btw, don't think you have to do the same thing all the time, but please be reasonable. We can't have everyone doing the same thing. That is all."
    "Hey, while we got everyone here,"said he Doc," if anyone needs any medical attention, please come over to the medical station. Anything at all, headaches, backaches, cuts, sprains, burns, whatever."
    "How 'bout pains in the ass?" asked someone. Everybody laughed.
    "Can't help ya there!" was the reply.
    Everybody went back to what they were doing.

Kurt followed people out and walked over to Jimmy, who was lightin' up a grill. "How's those grills workin' out?"
    "Oh man, these folks got all kinds of food. We're gonna have burgers and Brats and chicken and steaks."
    "No,no,no, Jimmy, you come with me. Ronda!" Ronda came over. "Can you handle this? We got alot of food, but we have about 20 people and we need 3 meals/day/person, for about 3 days."
    "I'll take care of it. Chris will you take this pan of water and get it to boiling, for the soup." Ronda had set up her folding tables, while folks were gathering all the coolers."I need everybody's cooler over here, now! Who's still got ice? Tracy, I need to know what we got. How many coolers, how much ice? I'd like all dairy products and perishables on ice, in separate coolers."
    "You heard the lady, whos' got what?" They began sounding off and Tracy was writing it down. "Slow down, one at a time!"
    "I need somebody to start making sandwiches." said Ronda.
    "We'll do that" said two young teenagers who were standing there. They walked over the table. There was paper plates and roll of paper towels on it.
    "Go around and gather some bread and lunchmeat and cheese and mayo and mustard and ketchup."

"Jimmy, I need you on that radio." said Kurt, walking back into the lobby with Jimmy, and over to the radio. "I need to know where that Hurricane is going. You know that radio does weather and news and scans emergency bands, right? I need to know everything that happens in this area!"
    It finally sunk in to Jimmy,"Got it!!" He sat down and got to work. Several older men and women were gathered.

Kurt walked out and stood by the edge of the cover and looked up at the sky. He was wondering what alot of folks were.....where was that Hurricane going.....
    The rain had let up, but it was still overcast and gloomy. Kurt walked out to his truck and grabbed a tea. He wondered about Hank and Sarah and hoped they be alright. He said a silent prayer. He decided to put his gun belt back on, but first he slung the K-bar and one canteen on it, then put it on. He pulled his pistol( from his waistband), press checked it and holstered. He pulled the extra mag out and reloaded it and put it back in the slot built into the front of the holster( man, he missed his CDP). He walked back in.

Kurt could hear Ronda's voice over the chatter in the lobby,"Ok, LUNCHTIME! Food's comin' up, lets seat the kids first!"
    "OK, let's line up at the door," said the Teacher, "to go wash up for lunch, girls on one side , boys on the other." The children went right over and lined up( as they'd practiced).
    Kurt walked in and almost ran into the teacher, "Woops!, sorry 'bout that. How's it goin'?"
    "OH, it''s going good. After lunch, I'd like to take the kids outside and burn off some of that energy. Then maybe I can lay them down for a nap."
    Kurt knodded knowingly, "Sure, but it's a swamp out in the grass, so y'all might wanna stay on the pavement. I'll rope off an area."
    "Ok." Then turning to the kids," Ok, stay in line. Remember what I said, inside voices." The teacher's helpers shushed the kids and were allowing two or three at a time( as they had two at the doors of the lobby and two at the doors of the restroom)( A patrol guard stood at the edge of the cover, looking out into the parking lot, with a shotgun in his hands) into the restroom and then back into the lobby and then line them up along the wall again.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ronda's helpers had set the tables with paper plates all around, with a sandwich, some chips and a few grapes on each plate. Beside each plate was a folded napkin, a red plastic cup of kool-aid and a wrapped oatmeal cookie.

Kurt walked over to Jimmy and asked, "How's it going?"
    "Not too good, we got a cat 5 heading right towards us."
    Ronda walked up, "Y'all ready to eat? I'd like us all to eat together for the meals, it's easier to feed everybody that way."
    "Sure, ok." the older couples who were hangin' around Jimmy walked over to the tables.
    "Honey, you want me to bring ya a plate?" asked Ronda.
    "Yeah, please."
    "Kurt spoke up,"Hey, why dont you go eat with your wife and daughter, I'll man the radio, just let me go get a plate. With that, Kurt picked up the radio and walked across the lobby.

The 'child handlers' had lined the children up inside and along the wall as they came back in. When they were all ready and lined up, the Teacher said," Could all parents come and get your kids?" Parents wasted no time gathering their children, as they were each glad to see each other. There was much chatter about what they'd been doing as they went to the tables and took seats.

When everybody was seated, Ronda spoke up, "Folks, this is Mr Curtis, he's a Minister and if it's ok, I'd like him to lead us in a little prayer. If you'd prefer, just give us a moment of silence." He stood up.
    There was sounds of approval all around, as parents were instructing their children to fold their hands and such. Kurt stopped and bowed his head.
    "Lord, thankyou for this food and Thy merciful Bounty. Protect these folks in these trying times and Bless the children. In Jesus' name, Amen." He sat down.
    "Amen," said several around the table.
    "Ok, dig in!" said Jimmy. Ronda mockingly slapped him on the shoulder.
    The chatter increased and there was much laughter, as folks began eating. Kurt saw alot of kids nodding and eating and talking. He saw Chris and Tracy, with Dana and Denice between 'em. Tracy fussing over the kids. He saw Jimmy and Ronda, with Cindy between them. It did his heart good, but it reminded him how much he missed his family. He walked out. Ronda saw the saddness on Kurt's face and knew what he's thinkin' (she wished she could help him).

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Kurt walked outside, with the radio, to the grills and saw Frank and a few guys standing around, eating. "Hey, so how is it?" He sat the radio on the folding table and fixed himself a plate. The men there drew closer.
    "Not bad. How's it goin' for you?"
    "So far so good," Kurt replied. He grabbed extra chips and stepped aside so the guys could get near the radio.
    "Hey, after lunch I'd like to set up some targets and get in a little range time, you know, see who knows what."
    "Fine with me, I'd like to join ya. The teach's gonna bring the kids out after lunch for some exercise, but I told her to keep 'em on the pavement. I'll have her take them over to the RV parking. It's a swamp out back."
    "That's, ok, we'll manage, that's what we do." replied Frank. "Besides, we don't have whole lot of ammo. Can't afford to waste any."
    "Roger that." Kurt turned to the men,"Hey men, hows it goin'? How's that chow?"
    "I.M.A.T." responded one. A couple others chuckled, "Beats MREs"
    "Don't y'all wanna eat with yer families?"
    "Uh, I figured it's better to keep the guns outside." replied Frank.
    Kurt noticed that several men were in desert boots, desert cammies pants, tan t-shirts, duty belts w/ canteens, ammo pouches and first aid kits( a couple had Kbars) and boonie hats. One guy had jeans and a shirt and a cammo ball cap. One had tan cargo pants shorts, a tan shirt and short boots. Most all had sidearms, many in drop holsters, and several had a rifle slung. Frank was in a dark blue BDU and black leather boots. He had a dark blue ball cap that had SWAT on the front. He had a dark blue duty belt with a side arm.
    "Oh, btw, here." Frank tossed his plate into the garbage can, finished his drink, set the cup down, wiped his mouth and hands and then reached under the folding table, picked up Kurt's gun case( the Remmy was in it) and handed it to him."Truth is, I had my Mossberg in the trunk, but when you handed me that Remmy, I had to check it out. Anyway, I got my pump and here's this back."
    "Thanks. You sure you don't need it? "
    "No, we've got 4 shotguns on patrol, plus several AK's and AR's."
    Kurt finished his meal, tossed he plate, wiped his mouth and picked up the Remmy and the radio. "Ok, well, I'm gonna go put this away. Ya'll take it easy."
    "You too, Kurt!" said a few of the men.

Kurt walked over to his truck and put his Remmy away. He checked his watch. 1pm. He walked back into the lobby.

Everyone was sitting around the table and talking and eating and havin' a good time. "Excuse me, folks, can I have your attention, please?"
    There was hushing and "Shhhh's " and it quietened down.
    "Well, I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is the Natl Weather Service has lifted the tornado watches for this area and I59 is open. The bad news is, of course the Hurricane. I'd suggest if anybody is within a 100 miles of where you're going, now's the time."
    There was a buzzing as folks began talking amongst themselves.
    Kurt continued,"Now, there's alot of damage on the back roads and they don't recommend using them, but the Interstate is clear and open. I'd say there's a couple of hours window before it gets bad again. That hurricane is only moving at 18mph, but it's so big, it reaches from Galveston to Tampa. It's made landfall and they don't expect New Orleans to make it." There was gasps and more buzz. "They expect the eye to track up between Mobile and New Orleans, around Biloxi, Ms. With 100+mph sustained winds, it's tearing up everything around the Gulf and well, it's gonna be bad."
    Several folks got up and gathered their kids and things and walked out.
    "Now, I still think this building is a good shelter and is our best bet right now."
    Several other folks agreed.
    "Anyway, those who want to stay can stay and those who want to go can go. That's all." He really didn't know what else to say.

Just like that, it was back to business as usual. The kid wranglers got the kids up."OK line up for the restroom and get ready for recess!" Parents kissed their kids and had them go with the 'wranglers', they'd see them later. Then they went about their 'jobs'.
    The food crew went about clearing the tables- two( with latex gloves) with garbage cans, tossing in all paper plates, napkins and scraps of food. They stacked the cups and left 'em. Behind them were two more( gloved) with wet rags who went around and wiped the tables down, pushed the chairs under the tables and picked up the stacked cups. Within a couple of minutes they were gone and noone could tell anyone had ever sat down.
    Kurt took his radio over to the 'media' table, set the radio down and gave it several cranks. He walked over to the door and looked out.

Several folks were leaving. Kurt wished them well. As folks were leaving, more folks were coming in. Kurt saw that Tracy( and two young tween girls) had decided to be the "Welcome Wagon" lady and greeted most newcomers and filled them in. Most folks just wanna use the restroom and stretch their legs and walk their dogs. Most were alarmed to see the guys with guns( some didn't even see them), but settled down when they learned who they were. Some hurried and left. Some decided to stay. Kurt wondered how'd be if there wasn't such a great bunch of folks. He thought about some of the threads and posts on SHTF. "If they could only see us now." he thought.
    Three things Kurt knew, is that folks just want their lives to be as normal as possible, especially when it's not; second, folks'd rather have a job to do and stay busy doin' it at times like this; and third,when friends meet, they're no longer strangers ( this was an old Mexican sayin' he'd learned).He was so glad he found this rest area and decided to stop and that there's so many good folks here( he silently thanked his Guardian Angel- he always knew he had a Guardian Angel, since he's a motherless child). He missed his family. He decided to try his cell phone. He had a bar! He stepped out from under cover and walked to his truck. He hit the speed dial. It RANG! "Hello?"
    Honey, it me!"
    "Oh my GOD, KURT, how are you, where are you, omg , I've been worried sick!"
    "Oh, Honey, I'm ok, I miss you so much, I love you so much." Tears welled up in his eyes. He's about to lose it.
    "What's that Honey, I can barely hear you!"
    "HOW're YOU! HOW'S the KIDS!"
    "Oh, we're fine, where ARE you?"
    "I'm at a rest area in Alabama! I'm trying to get home!"
    All of a sudden, the phone went dead. The call was dropped. "DAMN!! Damn!! Damn it!!" He was so mad.....he stopped.
    He saw Frank and his men walking back to the 'old camp site'. Half if it was under water. He decided to join them. A little trigger time is just what he needed.....

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The security team had already gotten some cardboard and was securing them to the back fence (that Jimmy's tent had blown over). Kurt guessed it was about 20 yards from the curb of the parking lot, where several had set their range bags. They'd drawn humanoid shapes on the cardboard with magic marker. They had to walk way around the 'pond', that used to be the campsite( Kurt reckoned it didn't matter about the campfires). From where they'd be shooting from, they'd actually be shooting down at about a 22 1/2deg angle, as the pavement was up higher. Frank was standing on the pavement, pacing back and forth. When everyone(there was 10 men, not counting Frank or Kurt) was back on the pavement," OK, the range is hot! Now, I know it's a little far, but I want all head shots Gentlemen. I'm not looking for speed, I'm looking for accuracy. Make a accurate shot, quickly." With that he drew is revolver, aimed and shot. Right in the head, to the right of the 'nose'.
    Everyone had eye/hearing protection and binoculars, as did Kurt( ATN 7x50 Omega, miltary w/ rangefinder{btw, the targets were 23.3 yds} and Elvex Impulse). "Nice shot." he said.
    "Thanks, these old eyes can still find the melon" Frank's glasses were gold wired, yellow lensed flight glasses.

Kurt noticed the kids coming out, he took off his 'ears' and walked over to them. The Teacher was looking for him.
    "Uhh, can you take them around the side, to the RV parking?" asked Kurt, pointing around to the side.
    "Yes of course, We heard the shooting." replied the Teacher.
    Kurt detected a little nervousness in her voice," Just a little target practice, to make sure everyone can hit what they aim at."
    "That's comforting." Kurt could tell she's being facetious, but let it go.
    She turned to the group," Oh look, it's been raining, there's water everywhere! Ducks like water, so let's be ducks. Can everyone walk like a duck?" She put her back to the firing range and waved her arm toward the Rv parking. The 'wranglers' picked right up on it. One young helper got down in a duckwalk, "Ok, everybody, let's walk like a duck." and off they went. Some of the kids were having trouble walking and quacking at the same time and were bouncing and just walking bent over. Some had their little hands tucked into their armpits and was flapping their elbows and quacking up a storm. Kurt couldn't help but laugh( he needed that), they were so cute. He wished he had a camera. He whipped out his cell phone and took a picture.

A gunshot made him snap around. Several kids yiped, "It's Ok, it's ok, just go over there, you'll be fine." He walked back over to the 'range'( he took a pic of the men with his cell phone). He stopped on the opposite end of the line from Frank, so he could see what Frank sees. Kurt looked for the shot, he saw a hole at the edge of the cardboard, on the left.
    "Good, ya nicked 'im, but you's havin' alittle trouble gettin' outta the holster."
    "Yes sir, I just got this and haven't broke it in." was the reply. It was a drop holster of some kind.
    "ok, unload and clear, go the end of the line and practice dry fire presentation and we'll see how ya do next time. Next!"
    The man dropped his mag in his hand and racked the slide, the bullet jumped into the air, he caught it in the same hand that was holding the mag. Then he put them in his pocket, holstered, stepped back and walked down toward Kurt.
    "How ya doin'?" asked Kurt.
    "A little rusty, I ain't been out to the range like I should. Are you in line?
    "Yes. That's why we're doin' this."
    With that, the man fell into line, faced front, squared off and drew his pistol into a double handed Weaver. He reholsterd, then did it again.
    "Remember, pick up that front sight ASAP, as it's coming into line with the target, then press." said Kurt.
    "Yes sir."
    Kurt began practicing dry fire presentation.

Gunshot. Kurt looked, right between the eyes.
    "Good, good! Good, smooth presentation, no fumbling , no wasted movement. That's what we want. Now, one more time, one handed."
    The man reholstered, stood, drew, shot. On the right side edge.
    "OK, you're not used to one hand shooting, you had touble getting it out there and picking up your front site and you rushed the trigger. Once again without the holster. Just raise up and shoot."
    The man complied. Right in the face.
    "Good! Put your weapon on safe, reholster and drop back."
    Kurt could tell Frank knew his way around the range.
    The next man stepped up. "Whenever you're ready." said Frank.
    The man drew and zippered the target from the waistline up to the head.
    "WHAT the heck're you doin'? I said headshots."
    Kurt spoke up,"That's what they're teaching now Frank. Much more effective under stress. Zipper up COM and shoot to the ground."
    "Makes sense. OK by me, if that's what you wanna do." Frank replied."Can ya do it one handed?"
    The man holstered, drew and did it again.
    "What's your name, son?"
    "Robert, sir."
    "Robert, you're my new squad leader."
    "Yes sir!" Robert reholstered, dropped back and walked to the end of the line.

This went on with each man, all going to the 'zippering'. Each one was
    critiqued and tried again, first double handed, then single. Frank could see the merits of the zippering just right here, by the time they got up to the neck, they were right on target.
    When it was Kurt's turn, he did the same, only after he shot one handed, he
    did a tac-reload, switched to weak hand and shot some more, right up the middle.
    "Damn good! You compete?"
    "Yep, I shoot IDPA and I'm a SO."
    "I's a RO and small arms instructor at the BPD. I've shot a little USPSA."
    "I figured that."
    The first man (with the new drop holster), stepped up. "You ready now?" asked Frank.
    "Yes sir,"
    "Well, let's see."
    The man drew and shot. Right up the middle.
    "Much better! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Ok, put your gun on safe and holster. Ok everyone, the range is cold, everyone keep your weapons holstered, let's go down range and paste the holes! Then we'll try some rifle drills."

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He pulled a roll of brown pastie stickers out of his bag, pulled a length of it, tore it off and handed a strip to each man as they went by.
    "Fine shootin' men. Good job."
    Kurt could see the 'wranglers' were having the kids run relays. Then he saw Jimmy come from the grill area. He wanted to shoot. Kurt told Frank. When they'd finished, they all came back and got in line.
    Frank said, "The firing line is hot!" He let Jimmy ( Kurt let him borrow his ear protection and safety glasses) shoot Kurt's pistol. Frank worked with him 'til he could pop up from SUL and zipper up the middle. Didn't take long. Kurt could see every man focusing down range and thinking about what he's gonna do. Jimmy gave the stuff back to Kurt,"Thanks man, that's the ****! I love that stuff!" He was jazzed. He ran over to the restroom.
    "Ok, this time, I want each man to come up with his rifle, hand it to me, give me ten pushups, clapping at each up, then jump up, take your weapon and hold it at the SUL. Then, when you're ready, or 10 seconds, whichever comes first, pop up to the ready and fire." said Frank." Again, aim, but aim quickly. At this distance, you pretty much put yer front site on it, you're gonna hit it. If ya wanna zipper, that's fine with me. Shotgunners, try to use a different target that the others. Ok, first up."
    Kurt went and got his Remmy. This was what he's waiting for.
    Each man stepped up. Raised up to the ready and fired, most zippering. Robert stepped up. He had a AR with a 3 point sling. He raised, fired, dropped his AR, transitioned to his pistol and fired again.
    "Excellent! Nice job, Robert!"
    There was a couple of AK's, several pump shotguns and another AR.
    He stepped up and did the same thing Robert did.
    "Great!" What's your name?"
    "Steve, sir."
    "Steve, you're my other squad leader."
    Then it was Kurt's turn. His grip tightened on the pistol grip of his Remmy, as he held it at the SUL. All of a sudden, he popped up, shouldered it and let 'er rip. He started at the bottom and almost tore that target in half. He let go of the Remmy ( he has a 3 point sling, too), drew and zipped the two sides, one strong hand, tac reload and the other side, weak hand, with the last 3 shots in the half heads. He reholstered.
    Everybody started clapping. "Man, that's great!"
    "Damn good!" said Frank, slapping Kurt on the back." Is that thing choked?"
    "No, but it's been Vang comped and worked by Wilson Combat and I'm shootin' S&B OO buck. Good combination."
    Man it felt good to shoot his Remmy. Kurt felt good, now.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Suddenly it started to rain. "Ok, range is closed, police up your gear, stow it and get to cover!" said Frank as he zipped up his bag. "weapons cleaning at the tables in 30 min. Make sure your weapons are empty and safe, but of course, have you ammo with ya!" Frank double timed to his car( a Crown Vic, of course), as did several others.
    Kurt could see the kids running for the building, with the 'wrangler's in tow.
    "This could be it." thought Kurt as he walked to his truck. He put his ear protection away and pulled out a tea. He put his Remmy away. he looked at the sky as he walked in, it didn't look good....he saw the rotation of the clouds, which covered the whole sky. It was going to get dark early. The wind was picking up by the minute, it began to rain harder.
    Kurt went to the restroom and then walked into the lobby, right over to the 'news desk'. Jimmy was gone, but several elders were gathered round.
    "What's the scoop, he asked?"
    "The Hurricane's tracking North, Northeast and we're gonna get the East side of it."
    "Lord help us, "said an elderly lady.
    "How long have we got?" asked Kurt.
    "A couple of hours." answered the 'leader of the blue haired weather patrol'......

Kurt walked over to the tables, blew the whistle hard and waited. He checked his watch- 3pm. After most of the group had gathered, Kurt spoke up," Folks, I'd like to have a lil powwow. The Hurricane's comin' up the middle of the Country and we're in for some rough weather. I'd suggest that everyone go get your night stuff, sleeping stuff, everything you're gonna need to spend the night here. Make sure and get any medicines, flashlights, any important papers, stuff like that. Ronda, can we have dinner early tonite?"
    "Sure. we got alot of meat to cook up."
    "You should be happy about that, Jimmy." Several folks laughed.
    "Woohoo! I'l get right on that. Come on, Chris!" with that, they went out.
    "Folks, I'm not gonna sugar coat this, this could get real nasty. Those winds're over 100mph, with gusts up to 150."
    There was chatter. "But I still think this building is our best bet. Like I said, it's built to withstand strong storms. Also like I said before, anybody who wants to leave is free to leave, but I strongly advise against it."
    "Any word on where the center is?" asked someone.
    "I'll Let Mr. Cooper give us an update, as he's been monitoring the radios. Mr Cooper."
    Mr Cooper walked up and stood next to Kurt." According the NAtl Weather Service, the Hurricane is tracking at 18mph, due North to North east..."

Kurt walked away and walked out to where the grills are. Jimmy and Chris had already lit the grills, as Ronda,Tracy and a few folks were getting the meats ready( opening, separating, trimming fat and rubbing seasoning, etc)
    "Hey Boss, we're in for rough weather, eh?" Jimmy was excited.
    "My Man, you might be havin' too much fun." Everyone laughed.
    "Man, shootin' that pistol was the bomb!"
    "Yeah, it's alot of fun."
    Ronda spoke up," You trust those men?"
    "What men?" Kurt faked ignorance.
    "The 'Security Team'." responded Tracy.
    "I sure do, don't you?"
    'Well, they have all the guns."
    "Well, I just spent the day with 'em and they just wanna pitch in and this is what they know. Y'all saw what happened this morning. The danger is real, especially now. There's bad folks out there. Look, most of those guys have family here, some have childen, they're not gonna do anything or let anything happen to any of us."
    Jimmy spoke up, "He's right, it'll be ok. They're on our side, they're the good guys."
    "Yeah, I guess that's true."
    "So, what's the plan for dinner?" Asked Kurt.
    "Well, as Jimmy pointed out this morning," replied Ronda,"we have alot of different kinds of meats and quite a few potatoes and some veggies, so I figure we'll go Southern style, cook it all up and just set it in the middle of the table and let folks serve themselves."
    "Ok, gotta ETA?"
    "Couple a hours, at the most."
    "Sounds good. See ya'll later."
    "Don't let yer meatloaf!" Jimmy said.
    "Jimmy!" retorted Ronda,"Behave!" Jimmy and Chris laughed.
    "Yeah, you're the ones with all he pretty girls around ya." said Kurt. The girls giggled.

Kurt walked back into the lobby, Most of the folks were still standing around the tables, talking.
    "Kurt, would it be ok if we stay here?" asked an elderly woman?
    "Oh sure, anyone who wants to stay is more than welcome, but I'd suggest going and getting your stuff, the rain's picking up out there. Can we get a report from our medical team?"
    The doctor spoke up,"We have plenty of OTC medication, but if anyone has any perscription medication they need help with, just bring it to me and we'll see what we can do. We have a small refridgerator that we an keep medicines in."
    "Thankyou, Dr. Winger. Folks, dinner will be ready in a couple of hours, so if we could all plan accordingly, We'd appreciate it, 'cause the kitchen will shut down and the coolers brought in and it'll be self serve after that. That's all I have, thankyou."
    With that the crowd disbursed and folks began filing out to their vehicles.

Frank walked up with his men. They'd put on their BDU tops.
    "It's 4pm, I'm gonna start the regular patrols now." He turned to his men," Ok, men, this is it. Robert, Steve , you're my squad leaders. You folks pick your own schedule, but let's do it now."
    Robert spoke up, "I'll take 8-12."
    "Ok, I'll take now." said Steve.
    "You both picked your team earlier, so everybody's happy, right?" asked Frank. Affirmatives all around. "Good, then I don't expect any problems from here on out. At least, not from this. Ok, everybody, let's synch our watches, I have 4:07." Everybody, including Kurt, checked and adjusted their watches, if needed. "Ok, where's my on deck team? I want 4 men patroling and the squad leaders roving( in case a man gets sick or needs to use the restroom, etc). Is everybodies radios on, working, on channel 4?" Sounds of bleeps and squawks. "Testing, one two." feedback." Make sure the voice activation is on and turned all they way up, and clip 'em up next to your necks, I want to hear every little sound. Squad leaders," said Frank," I expect that you'll check your men over and make sure they have their gear, mags loaded, whistles, water and whatnot. Ok, let's get to it."
    The group disbursed.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Kurt noticed Frank looked tired." You ok? You look like you need to take a break."
    "I do. I'm gonna go over here and visit with my wife in 'ER' and take me a little break. I'm proabaly due for my blood pressure meds and I need to get off my feet for awhile. Back home, I'd be taking a nap right now."
    "Oh yeah, which one's yer wife?"
    "Well, come on over and I'll introduce ya." They walked over to the 'medical canter', Frank walked up and put his hand on a short, slim woman, with short, Platinum Blond hair. She turned around. She had green eyes. She was attractive for her age.
    "Margy, this is Kurt." said Frank.
    "Hi, how are ya, I've heard alot about ya." she said and lightly elbowed Frank in the gut."Franky here says you remind him of our boy Georgie and boy do ya." She winked at Kurt.
    Kurt smiled and blushed."Yes ma'am, I've been gettin' that lately."
    "Oh, you don't have ta 'ma'am' me." Said Margy, putting her hand on Kurt's arm." Besides," she said. leaning back in a Betty Boop pose, putting a hand behind her head and pattin' her hair and in her best mock 'Jersey accent," I'm a woikin' goil."
    Frank and Kurt busted up laughing, 'causing several folks to look their way."Ain't she the greatest!?" asked Frank as he gave her a big hug.
    "Easy ya big lug, I got customers."
    They both laughed again and Kurt knew right then, he really liked those two. He suddenly hoped him and his wife'd act that way when they get to that age.....He whipped out his cell phone and took a picture............
    Ok, Margy, you have a customer right here," gesturing to Frank," He needs some TLC."
    "Well, you just sit right down here, handsome man, and we'll fix ya right up." She winked at kurt. He blushed again. She had that way about her.
    "I'll see ya'll later." said Kurt.
    "Oh yeah, well if the old man catches ya, he'll bust yer balls!" came over the 2-way radio. Frank, Kurt and Margy all heard it at the same time.
    Frank leaned forward in his chair,"Cut the chatter! Everybody can hear what y'all say! Btw, I'm gonna do random radio checks, so don't turn 'em off. "Old man' out!" he turned his radio down( so did Kurt), "Youngsters, sheesh."
    "Oh, they're good kids. You're too hard on 'em, here take these." said Margy. She handed Frank a few tablets and a cup of water.
    " I wanna make sure they can do the job. I don't wanna find out they can't hack it." He tossed all the tablets in his mouth at once and drank the water down, throwing his head back and then shaking it.
    "Now you just sit back here and let me massage your shoulders." Frank leaned back and closed his eyes."Here's a cold cloth." She handed him a cloth and he placed it over his eyes,"Ahhhh.....that's nice."
    "OK, I'll let you two love birds alone and see ya later." Frank gave a thumbs up and Margy smiled and winked again.

Kurt looked around. The 'blue haired weather patrol' was gathered around the media tables ( they had to get another table and chairs, as the group had doubled). Stan was there, holding on to the radio. Kurt half expected them to break out in Bingo. The thought amused him( he cracked himself up sometimes). He looked over at the "day care'. Several adults of all ages were over playing with the a dozen children. They were playing some kind of charades game. Some were laying on the floor coloring. Some folks were just sitting around the tables talking. They seemed at ease, as someone'd laugh out loud every once in awhile. He decided to go see Jimmy (and Ronda) and them.

He walked out to the grills. The rain had stopped. The smell of grilling meat filled the air as the wind whipped it around. It smelled real good. He the saw off duty security team out in the RV parking lot throwing a football ( they were back down to boots, cammy pants and t-shirt). They were scrimmaging, running short plays, much to the pleasure of the girls, who were cooking and watching. Over to his right, several folks were sitting in folding chairs, along the wall, watching the 'game'. He walked past the folding tables, where Ronda, Tracy and a couple of 'said girls' were working on veggies. "Ladies." Tracy pushed her butt out, to block his path. He stopped.
    "So, how's every little thang?' asked Tracy.
    "Well, every lil' 'thang' is just fine." he countered.
    "Are we gonna make it?"
    "Lord willin' and the creek don't rise." was his reply.
    "No, really."said Ronda. Kurt liked her seriousness.
    "Well, to tell ya truth, I don't know what's gonna happen. This Hurricane could go right by us and we just get alot of wind and rain or it could tear this building down. I'm actually from Florida and have been thru a few, but not one this big. I's at home in '04 when we got hit with 2 direct hits, in a row. We took no damage and we had critters, but houses right around us were tore slap up. We've been real lucky in the last 24 hours, with the tornadoes and that's usually what does the most damage in hurricanes. The next thing is the storm surge, that's where the hurricane literaly pushes the Gulf onto land, but that's mainly for coastal areas. We probably won't need to worry about that here. The worst thing is flying objects."
    "Flying objects? You mean UFO's?" asked Tracy. Everybody chuckled.
    "Well, kinda, if ya think tree limbs, trees, grills, sheds, road signs, backyard swingsets, roofing, etc is UFO's. I'll say that when it hits ya, you won't know what it is, so yeah, that's a UFO." They got silent. Kurt could tell the reality sunk in."But hey, let's not let that bring us down. Man that food smells good!" He walked on over to the grills.

"Hey Boss!" said Jimmy. He was manning one grill and Chris was manning the other. Both grills were full of various meats and taters in aluminum foil. "How's it goin? Hey, you got anymore of that beer left?"
    "Goin' good. Hey Chris." he nodded. "You know I do, we'll have some later."
    "You da man! Hey, we got the last of the ice over there, how's about puttin' it on ice?"
    "Ok, I'll get right on that."
    "Roger. Hey, how you like yer steak? I got a nice Porterhouse, just for you and it's a real one, with the Fillet mignon. I use to work at a steakhouse."
    "Medium. Is that right? No wonder you're so good on the grill."

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom