• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, but that's being replaced.

Fair enough I suppose. All the new houses out here (and everywhere) are using PEX, and although I cringe every time I see it, its got a good reputation. Even the multimillion dollar yachts I used to work on were full of PEX, so I guess its temperature and vibration resistant too.

At the end of the day, its about finding a house you can live with long term, and that's not easy. I looked 2 years before I bought this one.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Fair enough I suppose. All the new houses out here (and everywhere) are using PEX, and although I cringe every time I see it, its got a good reputation. Even the multimillion dollar yachts I used to work on were full of PEX, so I guess its temperature and vibration resistant too.

At the end of the day, its about finding a house you can live with long term, and that's not easy. I looked 2 years before I bought this one.

PEX will be replacing the poly. It's pretty much the only economical solution when repiping a house this size and layout. There will still be holes cut, but the plumber is going to minimize those as much as possible.

We've been looking since last summer. We made an (albeit lowish) offer on a decent house in early December. It was better than anything we had seen at the time, but it was a compromise in a lot of ways for us. We found this house in early February and were under contract on it within a week of it coming on the market. There are a few drawbacks, but the house suits are needs about as much as we could ever expect, when looking for a home to buy instead of build. It's WAY closer to pretty much everywhere we go, has plenty of space and all of the individual rooms we desire (the bonus rooms we found in a lot of houses would work in a pinch, but would have to serve multiple purposes for us). We held out a little hope for a house with enough land for me to shoot on, but everything we found was either too expensive, too far away from everything, or the house was too small/in bad shape. After commuting ~2 hours round trip every workday for 9 years, being closer to work was probably the biggest factor in our decision. I can't wait to have an extra hour of free time every day.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Yeah it looks like work is going to get interesting about Weds.
    Great, tropical system in the Gulf and I'm currently scheduled to fly home Wednesday evening.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    PEX will be replacing the poly. It's pretty much the only economical solution when repiping a house this size and layout. There will still be holes cut, but the plumber is going to minimize those as much as possible.

We've been looking since last summer. We made an (albeit lowish) offer on a decent house in early December. It was better than anything we had seen at the time, but it was a compromise in a lot of ways for us. We found this house in early February and were under contract on it within a week of it coming on the market. There are a few drawbacks, but the house suits are needs about as much as we could ever expect, when looking for a home to buy instead of build. It's WAY closer to pretty much everywhere we go, has plenty of space and all of the individual rooms we desire (the bonus rooms we found in a lot of houses would work in a pinch, but would have to serve multiple purposes for us). We held out a little hope for a house with enough land for me to shoot on, but everything we found was either too expensive, too far away from everything, or the house was too small/in bad shape. After commuting ~2 hours round trip every workday for 9 years, being closer to work was probably the biggest factor in our decision. I can't wait to have an extra hour of free time every day.

Buying a house is most definitely a compromise of so many desires. It would need its own thread, lol

That's a big commute (DonR has a similar one). I'm sure you'll enjoy not having to do it anymore. I went the other way, and am up to 38 min/one way, but I got almost everything else I wanted: sq footage/rooms/garage space/construction materials/fireplace/etc. And my commute is primarily on a 2 lane road next to the bay, so its usually not unpleasant.

And to be clear, Im not at all bad-talking PEX, its just in my mind. I see it going into $450K+ houses out here all the time.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    now this is funny..
    [FONT=&amp]May 15 (UPI) --[/FONT] A Chinese family said they had to give up the "puppy" they adopted two years ago when it turned out to be an Asiatic black bear.Su Yun, who lives in a village near Kunming, Yunnan province, said her family bought what they thought was a Tibetan mastiff puppy in 2016 and were quickly surprised at how much the apparent canine ate -- a box of fruit and two buckets of noodles per day.
    https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/0...at-turned-out-to-be-black-bear/6561526398275/

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    After almost 20 months of me being down I was finally able to get my 16' boat back on the river. I had put the 21 year old Evinrude in a clean plastic garbage can full of water after servicing it to make sure I wouldn't get to the boat ramp and have problems. Took the wife out yesterday morning mostly to just boat ride and bream fish a little, she caught a few and we were home about 1:30 pm. Grandsons got home and I loaded them up and back up the river we went. Motor ran fine until we started home, it died while running half-throttle but it didn't take up a minute to find out it was sucking air where the new fitting hooked to the male fitting on the gas tank. I took the fitting off the gas line and the lid off the gas tank, put the hose into the tank and we were back running. Just below Log Lake (Rivers Edge) it died again I pumped the bulb and pulled the primer choke and it fired right back up but was leaking fuel on the primer stem. Dropped it in gear and tried to get planned back out only to spin the hub inside the prop when I twisted the throttle open, had to let up and it died. Turns out the o-rings in the manual primer choke were disintegrating and it was sucking air there also, had to almost constantly pull the primer to keep it running while we limped into the landing. That's the bad news the good news is I finally have a reason to put the 30hp Evinrude with less than 50 hr.s on it that my father-in-law gave me on the boat. Got a couple of buddies lined up for the weekend to switch them out.

Thank you Lord for getting us home.

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What's going on at my house today:

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
      1a.jpg