• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Finally took a few minutes to install the spike bayonet I got for Christmas on my Norinco SKS. I like it.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I got off work a few hours early yesterday, so I ran up to Vinegar Bend for a quick live fire practice session. I was able to get in over 500 rounds in just over an hour.

OYt7HkX.jpg

I started off with 135ish rounds of Ben Stoeger's Doubles Drill at 7yds.

zeAl0cd.jpg

I'm not all that displeased with my results (don't mind the pasters, they were already on the target before I started), but I know the top guys in the sport can keep all rounds within about a 3" circle at that distance. I need to work on my grip a little to make sure the gun comes back down to the same spot consistently.

I also did a lot of weak hand only work, probably close to 100 rounds. I discovered that the grip I've been using in dry fire beats the crap out of the inside of my thumb. When I tried wrapping my hand a little further around the gun, I found out that I was at the verge of getting slide bite (as indicated by the black marks left by the slide). I need to do more work to figure out a good middle ground that I can achieve consistently on the timer.

CQrT2Ok.jpg

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got off work a few hours early yesterday, so I ran up to Vinegar Bend for a quick live fire practice session. I was able to get in over 500 rounds in just over an hour.

OYt7HkX.jpg

I started off with 135ish rounds of Ben Stoeger's Doubles Drill at 7yds.

zeAl0cd.jpg

I'm not all that displeased with my results (don't mind the pasters, they were already on the target before I started), but I know the top guys in the sport can keep all rounds within about a 3" circle at that distance. I need to work on my grip a little to make sure the gun comes back down to the same spot consistently.

I also did a lot of weak hand only work, probably close to 100 rounds. I discovered that the grip I've been using in dry fire beats the crap out of the inside of my thumb. When I tried wrapping my hand a little further around the gun, I found out that I was at the verge of getting slide bite (as indicated by the black marks left by the slide). I need to do more work to figure out a good middle ground that I can achieve consistently on the timer.

CQrT2Ok.jpg

You might want to invest in a new target. That one has a big ol' hole in it.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Broke down and drove to Fort Walton and picked up a Glock 19 Gen 5. Sales clerk asked me if I wanted night sights, and I asked her how much they were. They have Glock night sights with 15 year warranty for $69, which includes installation of the sights. Pretty darn good deal there I think!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Wish that they had offered me that deal when I got my 42 several weeks ago.
    I will end up with either a good set of night sights OR a Lasermax.
    You got a great deal on those sights. --- SAWMAN

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    After upgrading my plate carrier last week, I decided to upgrade my SHTF sidearm rig as well. I replaced the Tactical Tailor leg rig with a new Blackhawk SERPA Level 2 USMC Tactical Holster with two Blackhawk SERPA magazine holders. It houses my Beretta 92FS/M9 that was a former USMC issue weapon.

h1qR8Pa.jpg

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Packaged a Sig 556 rifle I'm sending to my Son in Idaho. While refreshing my knowledge on shipping firearms, I discovered the Post Office still ships rifles & shotguns from private parties to FFLs/Mfgs. No handguns but I though they stopped shipping all types for some reason. My Colt SporterII A2 will come back. Seems he's too high speed/low drag to appreciate old school functionality and didn't use it. His LE/SWAT carbine is a flat top with EOTech where he gets his trigger time.

Found one of my Sig Rifles buttstock pads partially decomposed. WTF! Subject Posted in different Thread with Pics.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After upgrading my plate carrier last week, I decided to upgrade my SHTF sidearm rig as well. I replaced the Tactical Tailor leg rig with a new Blackhawk SERPA Level 2 USMC Tactical Holster with two Blackhawk SERPA magazine holders. It houses my Beretta 92FS/M9 that was a former USMC issue weapon.

I like drop rig holsters, not a fan of the reload technique from there. It may be practical if other gear occupies better locations.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Took my new Savage Tactical 6.5 Creedmoor out for initial load testing. I can't believe how accurate it is! 9 3-shot groups with different powder charges and the Hornady 123gr SST bullets I have on hand for the Grendel were all WELL under an inch at 100yd, most around a half inch or less. Best was 38.0gr IMR4895 giving a .135" center to center group and average velocity of 2773fps at 47 degree temp. Will retry that load today with more shots in the group. FWIW that bullet/load goes 350fps faster in the Creedmoor than the Grendel. The highest load tested gave 2913fps and a .325" group. I know 5 shot groups will be larger, but 3 shot groups gave me an idea of what load to test further. All shots shot suppressed. 4-14x Burris scope set on 14x.

Did notice that it came with the wrong bolt handle, not the tactical oversize one. Called Savage...they are sending the correct one, and I can keep the smaller one.

Since I keep records on .308 and .224 bbl throat wear, I had obtained a 6.5 Creedmoor TE gauge from Pacific Tool. Upon checking the throat before the rifle was fired for a baseline measurement, the rifle "swallowed" the gauge indicating the bbl was worn out. I think it's missing a spacer between the gauge and the tapered end that enters the bore, plus the gauge was not marked per the instruction sheet. It's been sent back to Pacific for their inspection and replacement, along with a photo showing the gauge indicating the bbl throat near the "reject" line of the gauge. Visually inspecting the rifling, it appeared new (as it should) and did not have a long throat.

There is a lot of rifle in the Tactical model for the price (threaded muzzle, adjustable trigger, adjustable stock, free floated bbl, aluminum chassis inside the stock so the rifle action doesn't contact the stock, "tactical" bolt handle, etc). Not too heavy (around 8.6 pounds) for hunting.

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I am so thankful to have a neighbor with his own range and access to it. Bonus: His wife and mine, actually all of us, get along SO WELL and enjoy going out to dinners together. His wife has been known to order for me.

Well my 6.5 Creedmoor shooting today was more like "normal" with the groups bigger than yesterday. It shot (or rather I shot) today similar to my Ruger Precisions. Got it sighted in 2" high at 100yd like I wanted. Still happy with the groups for my purposes.

DSCN3612.JPG I more click to the right and sighted in. 4 touching; 1 out enlarging the group to .7" center to center. Group prior to this one was .6" CTC.

DSCN3613.JPG Had 5 rounds left after sighting in, so fired another group. It opened up and shifted down and to the left...found the suppressor had slightly unscrewed. This has happened to me when I forgot to routinely check the tightness.

Attachments

• DSCN3612.JPG
      DSCN3612.JPG
      49.6 KB · Views: 223
    • DSCN3613.JPG
      DSCN3613.JPG
      38.7 KB · Views: 223
    Top Bottom