• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds simple enough, no bait. A person might consider a large enough water container to "submerge and rinse the trap".
    http://www.wildlife-removal.com/armadillotrap.html
    It is bacterium that causes hansen disease:
    the disease is caused by a bacillus (rod-shaped) bacterium known as Mycobacterium leprae.
    I would thoroughly spray with something that will kill that particular bacterium. Bleach is the standard as long as it does hurt the surface of your trap.
    Recommended is:
    1:49 diluted household bleach (mixing 10ml of bleach with 0.5litre of water) is used to disinfect surfaces or articles contaminated with vomitus, excreta, secretions or blood.
    I go stronger myself.
    You could dip the cage also in a diluted bleach solution. Hansen disease is not transmissible to most people, but some people can catch it.
    Since I have dogs I am not seeing much in the way of armadillos. I like the fact armadillos eat yellow nests.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lol: "Submerge and Rinse" was my PC attempt to say drown them, only if that legal in your area of course. I always kept live traps hanging on the fence for natural scent, that bleach (even rinsed) will linger a long time and critters have a better nose that us.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/uw362
    Topics: Wildlife Ecology and Conservation | Ober, Holly K | Mizell, Russell F. III | Armadillos

Baiting the Nine-Banded Armadillo1

The Search for Bait Materials

Two types of materials have strong potential to serve as bait to lure armadillos into traps: food items and smells from other armadillos.

Armadillos are generalists, meaning they consume a wide variety of foods. Approximately 75% of their diet by volume is insects, mostly beetles (Coleoptera). The remainder of the diet consists of other invertebrates (worms, insects, spiders), small amphibians, reptiles, mammals, birds, eggs, fruit, other plant material, and carrion (dead animals). This wide variety in armadillo diets makes the selection of a single item to use as a bait challenging!

Smells from other armadillos also have potential to attract armadillos. It is believed that armadillos communicate with one another through odors they emit through their anal scent glands. Odors produced by the scent glands of one armadillo may stimulate the curiosity of another.

To determine which materials have the greatest potential to serve as bait, we set up several tests. We captured 40 wild armadillos and maintained them in outdoor enclosures. We then compared armadillo interest in a variety of items including invertebrates commercially available from bait shops and pet stores, eggs, fruits, and scents collected from armadillo anal glands. The following materials were tested:

crickets (Acheta domesticus)

pond worms (Lumbricus terrestris)

red worms (Eisenia fetida)

wigglers (Pheretima hawayanus)

meal worms (Tenebrio molitor)

big red worms (Eisenia hortenis)

glow worms (Eisenia hortenis, dyed bright colors)

millipedes (Dipolopda)

chicken eggs

quail eggs

avocado

banana

strawberry

peanut butter

vanilla wafer cookies

pads containing odors from armadillos of the same gender

pads containing odors from armadillos of the opposite gender

unscented pads

Of the materials we tested, worms and crickets performed best. These baits attracted the attention of armadillos more quickly than the other materials, armadillos visited the locations where these baits were placed more often than locations with other potential baits, and armadillos spent significantly more time at the locations where these baits were placed than at all other locations.

Interestingly, although armadillos are known to eat eggs of quail, turkeys, sea turtles, gopher tortoises, lizards, and snakes in the wild, our tests suggested that eggs from domestic bobwhite quail and chickens were less attractive than worms and crickets. Eggs from domestic birds seem to have limited potential to serve as bait for armadillos.

Our tests also showed that armadillos have an extremely short perceptual distance: they do not recognize the presence of food items until they are within a few feet of the material. For this reason, it is unlikely that placing any of the preferred baits (or any other naturally occurring materials) in a trap will effectively lure armadillos into traps over long distances.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I also noticed they seemed to follow the same path every-time they came into my yard.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Did some drills today. 9mm reaction drills from the holster. Daughter called the numbers at her discretion. 15 feet distance. Two rounds on each number 1 & 2. Four rounds on number 4. Two five round groups on the plate. The two fliers are from my kids, one each, first time with a handgun. They were super happy 9B59F338-0853-4E8D-94C2-A2E54BA0DFCB.jpg
    DD752B87-7801-42E0-8467-1A8D9DD14711.jpg

Attachments

• 9B59F338-0853-4E8D-94C2-A2E54BA0DFCB.jpg
      9B59F338-0853-4E8D-94C2-A2E54BA0DFCB.jpg
      125 KB · Views: 172
    • DD752B87-7801-42E0-8467-1A8D9DD14711.jpg
      DD752B87-7801-42E0-8467-1A8D9DD14711.jpg
      151.9 KB · Views: 176

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    After buying a Swiss 1911 rifle and enjoying it so much (it likes the M160 frangible bullets), I added a Swiss K1911 carbine. It was made in 1931 and appears to have been fired and carried very little. The troop tag under the buttplate translates to Andre' Dupertuis, born in 1908 from Lausanne, Switzerland and a driver in the 36 Automobile Detachment. That would help explain the nice condition of the carbine versus say an infantry unit issued carbine. Andre' kept the carbine after leaving the service as evidenced by the "P" stamp on the receiver.

The 51 av Fxxxxxxx was his address in Lausanne, but I can't make out the av (avenue/street) name. Lausanne is in the French speaking part of Switzerland.

Bonus: It likes the same load as my 1911 rifle, accuracy and impact point and brass fired in either will chamber in the other.

While not necessarily the assigned job of Andre', trying to find out what an Automobile Detachment was, I found that the Swiss war plan, if invaded in the 1930's and 1940's, was that 15,000 cars would be commandeered with the army giving up the lower lands of Switzerland and moving into the Alps to keep fighting.

DSCN3740.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN3740.jpg
      DSCN3740.jpg
      49.5 KB · Views: 152

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The "under butt plate tag" on mine had Rank, Name, Unit and Barracks in Zurich. I've seen a lot of references to the Tags (pretty universal to Swiss military surplus) but never that it was a mandatory requirement. Probable just a standard procedure upon issue.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Colored in a "new to me" revo today.
    Considered red but settled on bright white fingernail polish. Kinda stands out . . ? . . possibly too much. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 20190826_064838.jpg
      20190826_064838.jpg
      549.2 KB · Views: 128

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I really do not know if I will shoot 410 shotgun ammo out of it.
    It shoots the 45LC ammo that I have tried pretty accurately.
    The gentleman that I got this gun from installed a set of Pachmyer grips on it and it makes a huge difference over the stock grips that Taurus uses.
    My Glock 32 will remain my hunting sidearm. I like the added firepower and the Lasermax. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Won auction for a Swiss P/49 (army version of the SIG P210-2) with troop tag and holster. Now I will have to sell something to help pay for it.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Very cool!

A Swiss Army P/49 (I dig the Swiss shield on the top of the slide) has been a "grail" gun for me for a long time. The troop tag and holster are a bonus. I'm getting it for a few hundred less than typical. Hope to have it in about a week.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well...I was going to post that I sighted in my new CZ...kinda pales to that
    Tell me about your CZ ! lol... I shot about 150 rounds through my P09 today and had it's first failure, (during rapid fire)... I've always been a Glock guy, but these CZ pistols are very nice!
    fb7414fff33b819b172d0e7a6d6a7fd1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom