• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I assume her better accuracy with the SKS is the result of the short stock fitting her better than you. At least that's the excuse I would use. Lol

Yeah yeah that's IT!!!! I don't know why I didn't see that from the start! Apparently all of our guns fit her better.....

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Today has been an uneventful day. I have been waiting to hear from a forum member for the past 9 days about buying his SIG SAUER M17 Commemorative and I have no idea as to when I will hear from him. His father passed away over a week ago and I can understand that it can take some time, but how much time does it take to make a phone call or respond to an e-mail to keep me informed and not keep me dangling. In lieu of nothing happening on buying this pistol, as of yesterday afternoon, I started making calls and contacting some other people and dealers to see if they have one or can get me one. Thus far, I am coming up empty. It is very frustrating. Either God is telling me I do not need this pistol or He is trying to teach me to have more patience.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Yesterday I (post-op cataract surgery) decided to try an open sight pistol on paper. It was BAD, as in the group was about 4 times the size of normal. I was not happy.:scared: Today, I went to Walmart and bought various strengths of reading glasses, and went to my neighbor's range to try them out with a couple of pistols, shooting groups with each strength.

The stronger the reading glasses, the sharper the pistol sights were, but the blurrier the target got, as in hopelessly blurry with the strongest reading glasses. The weaker the glasses, the sharper the target was, but the blurrier the pistol sights were. At 1.5 reading strength, I seemed to hit the compromise between distant and near vision (sights were not too blurry and yet I could see the target good enough), and groups with 2 pistols were the size they used to be before surgery. :clap2: I had to move the sights 1 click to the left.

The next trip out, I'll take a couple more pistols.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Installing some new glass on my M&P and changing a few misc parts on an AR in prep for a range trip tomorrow. It's the little things...
    f8dbf69b6b319622529387462bb6d986.jpg
    aad25a1dc477ff694932676f658adf69.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    polished some Glock guts today. Incrementally better, nothing major, then again nothing major expected just from slickin' up some pieces of not-so-bad metal.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tried to buy a clean used 3rd gen Glock 19 at my LGS, forgot that my drivers license doesn't have my new address on it though, left empty handed and came back home to try and find a utility bill to show but I don't have anything at the moment. I work out in Vegas next week so if by chance it's still there the following week then I'll probably go get a new drivers license and pick it up.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Picked up some of these
    IMG_2321.jpg
    IMG_2319.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2321.jpg
      IMG_2321.jpg
      32.5 KB · Views: 227
    • IMG_2319.jpg
      IMG_2319.jpg
      37.1 KB · Views: 230

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    In my continuing saga of post cataract surgery and re-sighting in all guns, yesterday was take out an ACOG equipped AR upper.

Up to this time, after surgery, when I'd look through any ACOG at home, the view would be somewhat blurry. Upsetting, considering what ACOG's cost. So, I've been putting off trying to shoot with an ACOG. I took other firearms to the range in case using the ACOG was hopeless. Prior to surgery, I thought the ACOG's were nice, bright, and sharp viewing. I also took an assortment of different power reading glasses (1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2.5, 3.0). With conventional scopes and red dot sights, including the Vortex Spitfire, bare eyes worked just fine, but the ACOG view was blurry. Looking through 1.0 reading glasses and the ACOG, it was like flipping a light switch. I swear it's never been so sharp, clear, bright before. Especially the reticle markings are sharper. Easily re-sighted in, the group size did shrink from prior to surgery as I could better see exactly where the tip of the chevron was in relation to the target. I'm VERY happy with the outcome.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Are different optics requiring you to wear different prescription readers? Or has the 1.0 worked across all optics for you?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Are different optics requiring you to wear different prescription readers? Or has the 1.0 worked across all optics for you?

0 (plain eye without readers, but with plain lenses for eye protection) - Magnified rifle scopes with adjustable objective lens, Vortex Spitfire (reflex or mirror type optic with adjustable objective lens), Aimpoint non magnified red dot (if I wear any readers with the Aimpoint, they seem to magnify any defects in the sharpness of the red dot)

1 - ACOG, Eotech, rifles with "iron" sights, including leaf rear and peep rear (helps sharpen the iron sights, especially the front sight), yet doesn't make the targets too blurry) (note the ACOG is also a reflex or mirror type sight, but the objective lens cannot be focused like it can on the Spitfire) (1.0 reader makes the Eotech red dot and circle MUCH sharper than it ever was before surgery, just as it made the ACOG sharper...Eotech and ACOG are gonna be a lot more fun to use now) (I bet it has something to do with how far away my brain perceives the red dot to be)

1.5 - pistols with open sights (makes the sights sharper yet doesn't make the pistol distance target too blurry and has worked on 4 pistol so far) (using more magnification than 1.5 makes the pistol sights incredibly sharp, but the target gets so blurry I cannot line the pistol with the target with the resulting groups about 4 times the size of when using 1.5) (I found 1.5 readers to be a compromise between blurry pistol sights and blurry target, having tried every power of readers and seeing which gave the smallest groups)

I said to a friend that had lens surgery years ago and uses 3.0 readers for reading and fine detail work and is not the best pistol shot (his shots often miss high or low), hold a pistol and look at the sights and the target. Now put these weak reading glasses on and now look at the sights and the target...he was impressed ("I can see the sights better, yet the target isn't too blurry"). He now plans on bringing pistols to the range and me providing all my various power reading glasses so he can see what works best for him.

Of course your mileage may vary. Another friend had surgery 4 years ago. He couldn't shoot a pistol accurately for about 6 months, but does fine now. He only needs weak readers for reading and fine detail work.

I simply went to Walmart and bought various power readers from the $9.98 rack for my experimentation. My eye surgeon is not a shooter and was basically little help in what readers to use, other than confirming that different powers focus your eyes at different distances so one has to experiment with what works best for YOUR EYES for the distances from the eye that your activities dictate, because everyone's eyes can be different. Oh sure, they can do eye tests and come up with a RX for common handheld book or magazine reading distance, but shooting distances from the eyes vary in the different applications. Actually a shooter optometrist posted on the Internet that using low power readers for open sight pistol shooting often works...that's what gave me the idea.

For driving to make sure the dash display is sharp, I use a bifocal with 1.25 in the lower part and 0 in the upper and leave them in the vehicle. For reading, IPad, and detail work (reloading/gun cleaning), I use 3.0. For computer screen on a desktop I use 2.5 (since the screen is further away than holding a book). I marked the power on the outside of each reader glasses case. Since I had various power readers for my shooting experimentation, I also used them for testing during other daily activities until I had what worked best for me. For every day wear, not knowing what I'll come across/need to do (not shooting or driving) I have another pair of bifocals 3.0 in the bottom and 0 in the top. They were cheap...about $41 for 3 pair mail-order. Yes, I could use the half style readers that only cover the lower portion of your visual field, but I wanted the eye protection that glasses covering all the visual field provide, especially when shooting or doing any work with gun parts/springs. Hope this helps.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Bought two of these Original HK 9mm Straight Mag packs. (3 mags and Leather Pouch)

Love the look on the MP5's.

9LBtHK3.jpg

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Pretty full "gun day" today... shot in the season opener for the ALTUS(CORE) two gun series, then finished up a parts swap on a friends AR. On a side note, we have acquired a new shop dog, she's viscous...sort of
    951d74c5cdbbce316d7fbbb6079ceeff.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    It was a good day....played with my Anschutz....sent about 200+ 9mm to the 5 silhouettes for multi target drills ...got a new T-Shirt a local guy made....and we made a trip to Armageddon and I picked up a new cover.

getting the purchase a little better...only leaving a dark mark for a minute now

InkedIMG_2346_LI.jpg

New Cover

IMG_2348.jpg

New Shirt Back...sorry can't get it turned right

IMG_2342.jpg

Attachments

• InkedIMG_2346_LI.jpg
      InkedIMG_2346_LI.jpg
      29.6 KB · Views: 248
    • IMG_2348.jpg
      IMG_2348.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 240
    • IMG_2342.jpg
      IMG_2342.jpg
      64.8 KB · Views: 240
    Last edited:

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Ordered a foam shooting X block rest to try out on the range, and found a matching Ruger New Vaquero to the one I bought a few years back, exact same model and had the same low use at a slightly cheaper price!

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    After trying to score a SIG SAUER M17 Commemorative for the past month with no success, I broke down and took advantage of the sale at Academy Sports today and bought a Glock 19X. Been wanting one for a while and it will make a great addition to my Glock collection. Maybe one day, I will be able to get the SIG, but for now, I am happy getting the 19X.

zqCCat2.jpg

A great new addition to my Glock family.

nM4wP6H.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom