• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Red

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was digging around in the shed looking for some car parts & found an box of WWII machine gun ammo I bought well over 20 years ago & after two moves, (San Diego to Denver to here) forgot I had.
    That brought on an “I wonder” moment. Broke out my DCM M1 & loaded up three clips with the MG ammo & one with 150g federal JHP.
    I set up a 2’ x 2’ paper target at 50 yds. Shot off hand & put eight rds of the federal into a 3” circle which for my failing eyes & old shaking hands is pretty good.
    Then fired 24 rnds of the MG ammo, two, I repeat, TWO rounds hit the paper. Conclusion is that the MG ammo is only good making noise & loading & handling practice, but it is fun to shoot.

fiftycal

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bought a very nice EO Tech from Crtis09. A very pleasant gentleman to deal - deal was 100% professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Bought a second magazine for my sig 238 and changed the spring and follower out with a Magguts +1 and so far it works fine. It gives me an extra round for a total of 9(8+1) in a little pocket pistol, I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yesterday I (temporarily) cannibalized one gun to improve another one.

J2UciQR.jpg

LjGYY1l.jpg

Last edited:

Woogie Bear

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure if this is really gun related but I went to a small block of training about providing security in a house of worship. It was put on by the guys who run Talon Training over in Midway, FL. JD and Charlie had a lot of experience that they brought with them and were able to give a bunch of church goers advice and life experiences to help us be better sheepdogs for our flocks. We did talk about handling active shooter threats and some of the laws about CCW in places of worship vs. places of worship with schools. Overall it was a good experience and created interest in doing some courses at their training facility. Does anyone have any experience with their range?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not sure if this is really gun related but I went to a small block of training about providing security in a house of worship. It was put on by the guys who run Talon Training over in Midway, FL. JD and Charlie had a lot of experience that they brought with them and were able to give a bunch of church goers advice and life experiences to help us be better sheepdogs for our flocks. We did talk about handling active shooter threats and some of the laws about CCW in places of worship vs. places of worship with schools. Overall it was a good experience and created interest in doing some courses at their training facility. Does anyone have any experience with their range?

I know some people who shoot USPSA regularly at Talon, but I'm not sure if they have taken any classes.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I've owned a somewhat scarce factory Remington M700 in 6.8SPC with a fluted tapered 22" (not their first long heavy bbl version) bbl for a while. On and off I'd try different handloads trying to get it to shoot without flyers. Finally found a handload that shoots OK and found through experimentation that when shooting off a rest, I need the sandbags oriented such that they are lined up with the rifle so that it can recoil more or less straight back, not bouncing off to the side.

Got it sighted 1.5" high at 100yd and printed out a ballistic chart for the load today. Got some 3 shot groups about a half inch and 5 shot groups about an inch and a quarter. Might try it this deer season or might sell it or might not do anything much with it. M.O.A. went over the trigger group for me to make sure it was safe and had a nice pull when I first got the rifle.

Anyway, happy I got it shooting right and sighted in. Never did try any factory ammo. FWIW, FC brass, CCI 41 primer, Hornady 120gr SST bullet, 27.0gr H322, 2.275-2.28" oal, 2488fps at 10' from the chronograph with outside temp of 45 degree.

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I'm a charter member at Talon, Charlie and JD are retired from the Leon county sheriffs dept. most of the trainers at Talon are either active or retired LEOs and very knowledgeable about their craft a few of them are retired military as well as LEOs. I've trained at some first rate facilities and Talon is one of the best that I've had the pleasure of training at. I thought enough of their program for concealed carry permit holders that I had my family members take their course even though they already had taken a course and had their permits. It is as I've already said ,a first rate facility . They won't disappoint you with their classes. For the record I considered JD , Charlie and most of the trainers and staff as friends.

Woogie Bear

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's the impression that I got from these guys but its good to have someone else confirm it. I am going to have to figure out a time to get the wife and I over there for the concealed carry at some point in time. Thanks for the info.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    One of my AR 5.56 uppers has been having failures to fully chamber my reloads (1-2 per 10 rounds loaded in the mag) (and they are a pain to get out of the chamber) (no problems with my reloads in a myriad of other 5.56 rifles). It should be good to go, after all it's a FN made, CHF, CMV steel, double chrome lined barrel. Chamber has been cleaned repeatedly with a brass chamber brush and a new buffer spring installed in case the old one (16,000 rounds fired with it) had lost some oomph, nothing worked so I've only been shooting factory ammo.

Borrowed a small base die from B52 today. Just came in from firing 31 reloads done with the small base die in 4 different mags with flawless functioning. I have his SB die until next weekend, so I'll load up more rounds and shoot it more this week.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Borrowed a small base die from B52 today.

that is about all I use anymore for brass that wasn't fired in my gun. Running as much range brass as I do I get to see a lot of big chambers. I have a set of carbide Dillons and a set of RCBS... both SB dies. I even have a SB .30-06 sizer with the neck cut out so I can do everything else if necessary....use it more or less as a body die only.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    One of the specifics of the Akai 2011 I was looking to purchase on Friday didn't pan out. The seller was under the impression that he had one thing, but the builder confirmed something different.

I took the Edge (with the Blackdog parts installed) out to the range on Friday afternoon. I was easily able to zero the gun at 25 yards, but I had one instance of hammer follow and 2 instances of doubling/bump firing when doing Bill drills at 7 yards. I swapped all of the stock parts back in, except for the grip and sear spring, and I also fitted a new safety. I still need to install the grams guts and TTI basepads to the 3 stock mags that came with the gun, and test everything before the match this coming Saturday.

On Saturday, I stripped down my press, cleaned and lubed it, then re-assembled it and converted it from 9mm to 40. I've loaded 8-10K on it since the last cleaning.

WkDgdf2.jpg

TWZTq94.jpg

6CDxc0h.jpg

Yesterday morning, I verified that all the settings were correct and loaded 500 rounds of 40.

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    On Saturday, I stripped down my press, cleaned and lubed it, then re-assembled it and converted it from 9mm to 40. I've loaded 8-10K on it since the last cleaning.

Yesterday morning, I verified that all the settings were correct and loaded 500 rounds of 40.

my buddy has been using graphite instead of grease on his.. around the shell plate...still greasing the fitting on the bottom...says powder spills are easier to just blow out

Top Bottom