• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What bullet,driven by whay powder,at what velocity would be appropriate for subs.
    Most likely Trail Boss powder . . . but not a non-jacketed bullet,right ??
    Please forgive me but I have never heard anything re. a surpressed big bore lever gun.
    Got a buddy that shoots hogs at night with a T/C Encore chambered in 44Mag. He shoots a 300gr Hornady XTP thru a can at sub vels using a 18" bbl. --- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    What bullet,driven by whay powder,at what velocity would be appropriate for subs.
    Most likely Trail Boss powder . . . but not a non-jacketed bullet,right ??
    Please forgive me but I have never heard anything re. a surpressed big bore lever gun.
    Got a buddy that shoots hogs at night with a T/C Encore chambered in 44Mag. He shoots a 300gr Hornady XTP thru a can at sub vels using a 18" bbl. --- SAWMAN
    I doubt I would shoot anything subsonic with it, I know, I know, what's the point then? It'll be a little less brutal on the ears and shoulder... plus I already have the can, so why not?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have shot extremely low powered loads out of my single shot 45-70 using Trail Boss or H4895. Some as slow as 700fps. It is easy to hover around 1040-1070fps.
    My wifes hog load is 1140fps. I could be dreaming or going against the laws of physics,but to me,the bigger the bore,the less of a crack you hear,just ABOVE sub. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    A couple of weeks ago I came across a lightly used (max of 100rd fired) Ruger American Ranch Rifle (compact model with short stock that Ruger discontinued not too long after introduction) in 5.56. The guy selling it said it was the Predator model, but as soon as I saw it, I knew it was the hard to find RARR Compact model. Sawman has been searching for one for years and offered me his gold link bracelet in trade, but I turned him down. I suspect his next offer will be the bracelet + some cash.

Anyway, I've been testing some of my existing hand loads with and without two suppressors to see what combo played the best together. No surprise to me, it liked the Ark30 suppressor. That suppressor often gives smaller groups than no suppressor or my other suppressor. I finished today sighting it in 2" high at 100yd.

DSCN3673.JPG

The first photo is with the Gemtech Quicksand suppressor at 100yd. 1.215" 3 shots center to center. Not bad for a lightweight sporter rifle.

DSCN3672.JPG

Here's with the Ark30 at 100yd when I finished sighting it 2" high. .525" 5 shots center to center. The target is crooked in the pic, but the middle hole is at the 2" above aiming point mark. Without a suppressor, the groups were under an inch, around .75" (I didn't measure them, just eye balled them).

The bullet used in the above groups is a 62gr BTHP made for Midsouth by Hornady, slightly under 10 cents each in the 1500 piece box.

Attachments

• DSCN3673.JPG
      DSCN3673.JPG
      56.7 KB · Views: 203
    • DSCN3672.JPG
      DSCN3672.JPG
      56.4 KB · Views: 219

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Is that the same as a Mini-14?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Amazes me what people around here don't know about the equipment that they own.
    Great find on the RARR with the 12.5" LOP stock. I have handled and shouldered several of the longer LOP models and they just don't shoulder near as good. I wouldn't own one.
    Did you install a true pic rail ?? EGW ?? What scope did you put on it ??
    I'm still looking and will buy one if I come across one. Love mine in 300BLK !! --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Yeah inexpensive . . . and they come with $200. worth of trigger.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Regular Ruger rail. Mueller APV scope 4.5-14x at this time. Overkill on the scope, but it is what I had available.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    These were/are only made in the 300BLK,5.56X45,and I believe 7.62X39,which is appropriate for these little guns.
    The recent addition of the non rotary mag is good,although I have never had a single problem with any of my three.
    Another good chambering could be 44Mag although I am satisfied with my 300BLK (1:7) at the closer ranges which this gun would "do buisness" for me. --- SAWMAN

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve got a ruger american ranch 300BLK that takes AR magazines , it feeds flawlessly with 5,10 and 20 rounders . I haven’t tried 30 rounders but believe they would work fine as well. I use it with subsonic ammo for pest control.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Was offered a deal on a Bear Creek 16" 300 Blackout upper w/15" M-lok hand guard, BCG, and charging handle for $175. 4150 bbl steel; not chrome lined or nitride treated bore. Fired 200 rounds by previous owner.

Already cleaned it and gaged the throat (as new), test fired various loads, and sighted it in. Shoots fine. Did not try any hunting loads, only practice/plinking loads at this time.

Last edited:

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Had bought a G19 5th Gen and did not like it. Found a swap and expanded a G23 into a 3 caliber pistol; in order 9mm, 40 S&W, and 357 SIG (installed).

This one will be my traveling CCW gun, most likely in the 357 SIG mode; with the other calibers in reserve.

G23 3 CAL.jpg

Attachments

• G23 3 CAL.jpg
      G23 3 CAL.jpg
      642.1 KB · Views: 208

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don’t understand why the 357Sig isn’t more popular. In the 31 it’s almost like having a 16 shot 357 magnum . Come to think of it , I wouldn’t feel to under gunned with a model 19 s&w revolver.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I don’t understand why the 357Sig isn’t more popular. In the 31 it’s almost like having a 16 shot 357 magnum . Come to think of it , I wouldn’t feel to under gunned with a model 19 s&w revolver.

Actually, I wondered the same thing, and thought it was because the HP bullet development in the recent decades have evened the performance gap. After getting the project started I found the following articles:

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/357-sig-gel-test/

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/357-sig-whats-the-point/

This sort of supported my thoughts, and I do not think I would feel under-gunned or unarmed with any of the three calibers anymore. Only when FMJ is the default would I start to desire my 45 acp more!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Love my Sigs. NO . . . not the gun . . . the chambering. I have all three Glocks chambered in 357Sig. (31,32,33)
    This is what I believe re. the vel/power produced by the Sig - - -> it will produce the same power as a 357Mag if given the same length of bbl.
    Then there is the firepower thing. My choice for the woods is a 147gr Hornady XTP. Concealed carry is a 125gr Hornady XTP.
    RECOIL - - -> Just enough . . not too much. Highly controlable,not a great deal of muzzle rise or a "excess" of blast overpressure.
    My 33 (pocket rocket) is my EDC. (carried OWB) My 32 is my woods/backup for hunting/around the club gun. (carried in Blackhawk SERPA) My 31 sits beside my easy chair in the living room.
    I love the 357Sig chambering. --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    What is everyone using for their smallish 10 yr olds to shoot in a bolt gun heavier than a 223 suitable for hogs, little recoil? Thought about going to walmart and looking for the scoped bolt combos, seem inexpensive there

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Lemme see . . . first of all,what did you get yourself into down at AJ's Tiki Bar in 2009. Probably the brunette with dark green eyes.
    Anyway - - -> I happen to feel that a 223Rem IS ADAQUATE for hogs at the closer ranges and from a rested/stable (accuracy) shooting position. WITH the right load/bullet.
    If you don't that is fine. Check with some of the ammo manufacturers and see if they offer any reduced recoil loads. Another reccomendation would be some of the (cover your ears . . . and I swear not to tell the LSB guys) 300BLK ammo. You still have the momentum factor of a larger bullet (130-150gr) and the recoil is highly manageable.
    You might want to consider the LOP thing also. For the 10yo shooter to get proper cheek weld it should be from 12-13 inches. Personally . . . I absolutely love my 12.5" guns. My H&R Handi and my RARR chambered in 300BLK are great shooters.
    Another option would be,a chambering (in the right fitted gun) that you can get reloads for. Even a 44Mag Handi with a 240gr at 950fps would be a good killer at the closer ranges. If you are gonna go with big bore,heavier bullet,you gotta match that with the "right" velocity or you will be back to full power 243Win recoil levels.
    CAUTION: your Ruger will not cycle reduced power loads. --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sawman, Sssshhhhhhhh

a 7-08, 243, ?? not sure the recoil as I have never shot them. 308 is my preference but to much recoil when no one reloads I guess a 77 gr 223 might be ok, that a 1-7 twist? I may just pass on giving a recommendation as I told them to go find a range that rents so they can shoot a variety of calibers.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Been looking for an ACOG for my Scar for a while now.... guess I'm gonna have to buy new.

Also picked up a Remington 700 AAC chambered in 308.... threw a 5-20x50 accupoint on it. Have yet to sight it in.

Signed the papers on a new car for the wife today.... maybe she'll offer to drive next time we head to ERGC
    e565a2d7a7695e51233c097b3f403e9c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom