• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I just saw Primary Arms has em for $167 with a Spikes lpk...pretty decent deal

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PSA had the single stage curved 3.5 lb trigger for $129.99, as part of their Labor Day Sale. I am dropping it in tomorrow.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Another weekend of progress on the reloading room.

Counter top and wall cabinets installed Saturday:

WStTaZD.jpg

Drilled holes for the desk grommets and got the surge protectors plugged in Sunday morning:

xr6wY6q.jpg

qXiIiJm.jpg

q1ZNOUR.jpg

Mounted the TV and installed the under/over cabinet lighting Sunday afternoon:

N71vyay.jpg

jrK78ga.jpg

Figured out where I'm going to mount my press and drilled the holes:

qj3BHZQ.jpg

I wiped down the counter top with a wet rag, which I believe is close to what it'll look like once I finish it with mineral oil.

7Yg62QW.jpg

I still need to pick up some longer bolts to mount the press, some tack cloths for cleaning the bench prior to oiling, some 3M strips for securing the surge protectors, and longer screws for the cabinet knobs.

I originally planned to build shelves that connected from the end of the cabinets all the way to the wall on the right, but I'm going to hold off a little while on that. I'm going to see how much more space I need, then possibly move my safe to that side of the room and build shelves around it.

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Looking good! I thought about using Linseed Oil on mine.
    I am going to have to redo some of my soffit. As I said I'm not a builder, but I ran across and error I made using a level when I shouldn't have. Shouldn't take but a couple of hours to redo but it puts everything else on hold for finishing the siding. Did get some exterior caulking completed.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    My SUS VENATOR/HOG SLAYER hand guard just arrived. It's black; the flash makes it look lighter.
    Now to put the upper together. It's a 15 inch one, so the 16" bbl sticks out about a half inch before the threaded end starts, so plenty of room for suppressor or other muzzle device. I intend to only shoot it suppressed. On the other hand, not much of the bbl fluting will be visible for one to brag about. Outside diameter is 1 1/2", so it's nice and slim, and my suppressors are also 1 1/2" diameter. I had a little concern would all the cutouts make it feel flimsy...no problem with that. I ordered it from SD Tactical. M-Loc on the bottom. It will be going on a side charger upper with a 300 Blackout Green Mountain fluted, chrome lined barrel.

The bbl nut is good and bad. Bad: It has no half holes or holes which the gas tube would go through to prevent bbl nut movement if it were to come loose. Good: Without the holes to have to index to the gas tube, it's easy to install...just tighten it up onto the upper receiver. A standard AR bbl nut wrench fits fine. Also good, since the hand guard clamps to the knurled bbl nut, if one were to notice the hand guard top rail is no longer aligned with the upper receiver rail, you'd know the bbl nut was loose. I really don't expect problems, but will check the tightness after a few break-in shots.

In these pics I've put some white paper inside so you can better see the letters and hog caricature.

DSCN3564.JPG DSCN3562.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3564.JPG
      DSCN3564.JPG
      79 KB · Views: 345
    • DSCN3562.JPG
      DSCN3562.JPG
      78.6 KB · Views: 348
    Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've put 2 coats of oil on the counter top so far. This is while the first coat was still a little wet. It didn't seem to lose any of the color once it soaked in. I'm going to put one more coat on tonight, then give it a few days to cure before I start using it.

ZOBf5qL.jpg

R6Ua52x.jpg

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Put together my SUS VENATOR 300 Blackout upper yesterday and took it to the neighbor's range to get it on paper and do preliminary testing. Flawless functioning. Took it out today for more "formal" testing. It likes the Barnes 110gr black tip load that my Ruger Take Down Blackout likes, so that's good. However, what is aggravating is that often the first round out of each mag is out of the group and low. Doesn't matter if the first round is chambered by releasing the bolt latch or by pulling the charging handle (side charger upper) back and letting it go.

By out of the group, I mean about 1" at 34yd and about 1 1/2" at 50yd (some less; twice in 15 groups it didn't have the 1st round out). It's not the bbl getting hot, as I'm shooting extremely slow fire with a fan blowing on the suppressor and bbl never letting them get even mildly hot, waiting a few minutes between each shot (simulating hunting conditions with the bbl never getting hot). I've been loading 6 rounds in a 20 shot mag. Will try loading differing numbers of cartridges the next time out and try other mags. I have had this happen a couple of times with other new semi auto rifles, but it's always went away in less than about 100 rounds. I've fired 106 rounds through this upper. Hoping it just needs wearing in of the bbl extension/BCG/upper receiver. It's done it with 2 different lowers and 2 suppressors. Done it with different loads. It's not a clean bbl 1st shot phenomenon.

Looks like it's about a minute and a half upper with my cataract eyes. It prefers my screw-on Crux Ark30 suppressor...my good old Ark30 often improves group size or at least doesn't worsen the groups, so I use it on several rifles.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Day 1 of the Precision Rifle Expo under my belt...back at it again tomorrow. I did finally shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor...5 rounds @ 1047 yards...spotter made a couple of bad wind calls but manage 3 solid hit when my shooting partner talked in my other ear :). The main thing I was after was trying some of the new chassis out there. MPA got my attention pretty strong. Localish company too. Picked up some Area 419 Gear to convert my Manners T2-A to Arcalock along with a mount and Atlas PSR Bipod and some Hawk Hill spiked feet.

Back for day 2 tomorrow!

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Painted the sights on all the new guns...
    touched up some of the old ones...
    Hi-Viz Orange on the fronts,
    Hi-Viz Green on the backs.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have been kicking around the idea of finding a bipod for my scar, I had originally intended on going with an Atlas, but after much consideration I decided to try the new bipod from Magpul. I'm very impressed with this, considering it was almost 1/3rd the price of the Atlas ($94 vs. $279)

With the exception of a few items from Parker Mountain Machine, I'm done with this project. Rifle weighs right at 12.5lbs as pictured, recoil is non existent. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can stretch it out on some steel at 600.
    1914ac36770c2f863b7a2b225242cc4a.jpg
    0addcf8b941ffeb17cbc42f0296c88fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Went to the neighbor's range and sighted in the 2 300 Blackout AR's I'll be taking deer hunting next month 1.5" high at 100yd.

Started with my Ruger Takedown and was having a hard time getting it done, tweaking the scope settings to get it just right, the hits just were not consistent. All would have hit the deer, but I want it as perfect as I can get it. I'd gotten there earlier than normal so as to shoot while the temp was cooler (and thus the target was in the shade). After about an hour the sun rose enough that the target was no longer in the shade and Wa La I could see the target much better...a few shots later and finally done. Let me put it this way: It took 36 shots. I then took a few shots with plinking loads consisting of pulled 7.62x39 fmj bullets and 2 powder charges...the groups were 1" high and about 1 3/4" in diameter...damn fine considering those bullets...perfect for banging steel for practice. I did note the first shot from the clean dry bore was out about 2", so I'll foul the bore after cleaning and prior to going hunting just for insurance. I have my first cataract surgery in December, but deer hunting in Georgia is at the end of October, so I gotta go with what I've got. Binoculars help! Both rifles are scoped.

OK, target is now lit up by the sun, but it's now getting hot outside. SUS VENATOR was next. I'd never shot it at 100yd, and hoped it would group 1.5". Only 7 shots and it appeared to be sighted like I wanted. I took 3 more to verify, for 10 shots total. Not only was the impact point perfect, but the 3 shot verify group was 3/4". Of course we know a 5 shot group would be somewhat bigger, but I was Very pleased with that group. I then fired a few of the pulled 7.62x39 fmj bullet reloads. One powder charge sucked (didn't measure, but about 5"), but the other gave 3 shots touching with 3 shots spreading the group to about 2.5" at 100yd. Again, not bad to me considering the bullets used. Plenty fine for practice on steel targets. My SUS VENATOR upper has never thrown the 1st shot from a clean dry bore out of the group (once the 1st shot of each group being out was solved by using a different bullet), but I will foul the bore anyway.

A very successful range trip for me and so grateful to have full access to his range. I think a gift to the range owner is in order.

Last edited:

Garpo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Got to shoot my SW22 Victory for the 2nd time. The 1st time was with an old mixed batch of ammo, age unknown and as a result, had several failures. This time I shot mostly Aguila Super Extra and the stuff ran perfectly. I'm really liking this pistol and the fiber optic sites are a big help in amplifying what little light is available.

Attachments

• 101_0325.JPG
      101_0325.JPG
      80.3 KB · Views: 179
    • 101_0326.JPG
      101_0326.JPG
      62 KB · Views: 189

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    One of my buddies brought me his old Winchester 24 in 12ga a few weeks back. Wanted me to bring it to my shooting partner to fix an issue it had. Just couldn't stand it when both barrels fired. I asked if he needed me to put the toilet seat down for him. Then I told him sure I would take it up and did.

We took it down a few weeks back and found a couple of problems. I told him to buy the 2 new sear springs someone cut off. The other problem was sear engagement on one side. It may have only been 1/4 engaged if that and wasn't shaped well. He reshaped the sear for better engagement and touched up the other side for good measure and reassembled.

I delivered it back to him this afternoon and we decided to try it out at the skeet club. It was taking him a long time to shoot. I just had to ask once again if he need help with the toilet seat. That lit a fire under him. He ran about a half a box through with no doubles and he was grinning. He insisted that I fire the rest of the box. Old thing shoots pretty sweet. It has been a minute since I shot skeets with a M/F S/S if ever...I did manage to break more than he did :D

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can't say I blame him for being leary/twitchy of setting off a "another double". Give him a Metal for shooting a 1.5 ga (12ga=.729×2 = 1.458). Lol . Always good to hear about helping hands.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I don't either, I only did it because I had a Turkish O/U that did it to me several times. If you listened to the both of us and didn't know us you would swear we were about to injure one another. Banter can be beautiful :)

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yesterday I knocked the dust off an A5 super mag I bought back during the spring. Glad to find out it functions/shoots just fine!
    88908ec58d5044d1ab5fe15b251fbaf8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom