• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I ran up to Vinegar Bend today and got a really efficient practice session in. Almost 700 rounds in under 3 hours.

1d34493747bf3c3a86d623524b188525.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I ran up to Vinegar Bend today and got a really efficient practice session in. Almost 700 rounds in under 3 hours.

[video]https://youtu.be/y4uBExHHAbI[/video]

Nice footwork Jeep!

I finished up a 300blk pistol build yesterday, this will be primarily a suppressor host. Whenever the ATF decides to send me "the all-powerful sticker"...
    eedf5ffa5c69e825a9684346efdb29ec.jpg
    26ef6509296b80f7ea994f47f9621e4d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Parts came to finish the CZ Scorpion. HBI rail, trigger, AK safety lever, charging handle and.mag release. CZ factory folder with Yeti Wurks tailhook. Primary Arms red dot, TLR7 light, Arisaka finger stop, Magpul QD cup and Proctor sling with QDs added.
    d29ba53ab184fa603fadad8da7228879.jpg
    7d7c76b9d61c0195eb609c68b23f172e.jpg
    e92e341e2adfe9066e08f44bdaf8626c.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    20181231_225137.jpg

I cleaned, slinged, and scoped my new Browning X Bolt. I also fully disassembled and cleaned my new Marlin 336 with a build year of 1978. My dad bought it 2 months to the day after I was born in '81 and I just got if from him this week. I don't think it's ever fully been torn down and cleaned since he bought it. Also added some weaver see through rings for a future scope and a hammer extension. Hoping to find me a budget 3-9x32 that will work with my irons on this gun. The Marlin sling was as blonde as Marilyn Monroe. I oiled it for 2 days to get it back to the color and flexibility it is now. That bottle of Red Wing Boot Oil I had laying around paid off.

Attachments

• 20181231_225137.jpg
      20181231_225137.jpg
      613.4 KB · Views: 130

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Parts came to finish the CZ Scorpion. HBI rail, trigger, AK safety lever, charging handle and.mag release. CZ factory folder with Yeti Wurks tailhook. Primary Arms red dot, TLR7 light, Arisaka finger stop, Magpul QD cup and Proctor sling with QDs added.
    d29ba53ab184fa603fadad8da7228879.jpg
    7d7c76b9d61c0195eb609c68b23f172e.jpg
    e92e341e2adfe9066e08f44bdaf8626c.jpg

How do you like primary arms optics? I've been eyeing some of their refurbs, but that 1 year warranty on them is kinda bunk compared to vortex's lifetime on their refurbs. I know, I know, just buy the non refurb and get the lifetime warranty, but at that price point I'm just going to go with the vortex and their unbeatable service and warranty. Just curious if you like the glass better than others or what your experience is with them comparatively.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How do you like primary arms optics? I've been eyeing some of their refurbs, but that 1 year warranty on them is kinda bunk compared to vortex's lifetime on their refurbs. I know, I know, just buy the non refurb and get the lifetime warranty, but at that price point I'm just going to go with the vortex and their unbeatable service and warranty. Just curious if you like the glass better than others or what your experience is with them comparatively.
    All I've used is their red dots on range fun guns and they've been fine.

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    All I've used is their red dots on range fun guns and they've been fine.

I do like their micro pricing as opposed to the similar vortex options. Been eyeing them for my next ar pistol build. Have you gotten rough with them at all and still held zero? Mine would be going on a 300BO pistol / bush gun

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do like their micro pricing as opposed to the similar vortex options. Been eyeing them for my next ar pistol build. Have you gotten rough with them at all and still held zero? Mine would be going on a 300BO pistol / bush gun
    I used one on an AK for a while and then moved it.over to a 12.5" AR pistol in 308 and it held up fine. I have is as a backup sight on one of my ARs now without a QD optic mount.

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I used one on an AK for a while and then moved it.over to a 12.5" AR pistol in 308 and it held up fine. I have is as a backup sight on one of my ARs now without a QD optic mount.

Thanks for the info. I might have to pick one of these up and give it a try. Never hurts to have options.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the info. I might have to pick one of these up and give it a try. Never hurts to have options.
    Yeah they aren't an Aimpoint, but they are also under $200 for a range gun.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently purchased a bottom of line primary arms to put on an AR range gun and could not get co-witness with it with the iron sights. The center of the red dot tube seems to not be in line with the center of the gun. An even cheaper red dot from wally worlds co-witnesses just fine. I need revisit that primary arms optic and see if there is something that I am doing that is not right.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

[video]https://youtu.be/y4uBExHHAbI[/video]

I believe you do competitive shooting where rapid target acquisition is important and you seem to do just fine without iron sight co-witness. That is good to know. For CCW you still likely want to pay the extra money for being able to mount the optic sight a little lower on the gun.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I believe you do competitive shooting where rapid target acquisition is important and you seem to do just fine without iron sight co-witness. That is good to know. For CCW you still likely want to pay the extra money for being able to mount the optic sight a little lower on the gun.
    I have no interest carrying a gun with a dot at this time.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    i'm not a kewl kid...but mine co-witnesses with tritium

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's what the cool kids are doing though...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    There are many ways to consider this. Many gun fights take at close range and in dim lighting conditions. In many cases you will not be able to effectively use your sights and the old meat on the metal aiming reference is your best shot.
    As I have gotten older, my eyes have gotten older and so I see the red dot as viable for sure at distances in decent light and especially when precision shooting is required. Apparently one can use it also with some night vision setups also. I plan to equip all carry guns with it eventually because of my older eyes.

A major proponent/vender of the RMR on pistols just happens to sell the items, the installation, and training for it and is pushing it for terrorist killing for both civilian and LEO. A major downside to such a scenario is if your gun is drawn and you are not in uniform you are in more danger from responding LEOs than you are from the crazy or terrorist shooting up the place.
    What I was most interested was the use of RMR like sights on pistols without the co-witness. And under gun game conditions it certainly seems to work and might be fine for the real world. The interest here is monetary, because equipping slides with milling cuts requires sending it out for work and also the expense. I am playing around now with an armbrace glock at the moment and will want to put a red dot on it somewhere along the line. I do have a high mount with a short integral co-witness iron sight system for it, but it does sit high.
    Obviously properly milled RMRs set up with silencer iron sights are the best. Only downside is the high front sight that might snag on things and the cost. need to find proper holsters for the set up also.

By the way are there any local smiths now that are set up to do glock slide milling?

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    My previous post regarding .450 Bushmaster magazines for AR platform - "I've read that mags for the .450 (Bushmaster) can be problematic so I'm getting ready to test some. I have Bushmaster brand on back order, and an article I read lead me to using Lancer brand 5.56 mags with a special follower made by a company called Tromix...these are currently on order. I also bought some plastic follower inserts I found on ebay...these fit on top of the follower in a 5.56 mag. Haven't tried any, yet."

I'm only using Bushmaster magazines right now. I have tried changing the follower out on 5.56 mags but had feeding problems. Haven't tried the Tromix follower so I'm interested in how it works for you...

I finally got the opportunity to try out my .450 Bushmaster AR the other day (Bear Creek Arsenal barreled upper on an Anderson lower). It functioned perfectly with GI mags with the ebay center-feed follower inserts, the Lancer mags with the Tromix followers and AR-Stoner .450 BM mags...no problems with any of them. When I first received the magazines (before firing), I noticed that the case mouth would sometimes contact the forward top edge of the mag body (just in front of the follower) when I pushed the round forward with my fingers. To be sure there was no drag when firing I ground the top edge of the mag body down a bit with my dremel. The Bushmaster-brand mags are still on backorder and I think I'll cancel that order. The rifle was surprisingly accurate with Hornady 250gr factory ammo, and I'll be trying out some handloads next time out.

The recoil was quite sharp, and I noticed I was was having eye-relief problems with the scope...sure enough, the recoil loosened my scope..oops. Upper came with a regular bird cage muzzle device, and I just replaced it with a "tanker" style muzzle brake to see if it will really make any difference. ...put a little more torque on the scope rings, too.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My previous post regarding .450 Bushmaster magazines for AR platform - "...............t.

The recoil was quite sharp, and I noticed I was was having eye-relief problems with the scope...sure enough, the recoil loosened my scope..oops. Upper came with a regular bird cage muzzle device, and I just replaced it with a "tanker" style muzzle brake to see if it will really make any difference. ...put a little more torque on the scope rings, too.

I wonder how a platform that was designed with a very mild recoiling cartridge would behave with hard kicking cartridges. Yours seems to be doing fine.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I wonder how a platform that was designed with a very mild recoiling cartridge would behave with hard kicking cartridges. Yours seems to be doing fine.

I think it'll be fine with some extra torque & some thread lock on the scope screws. I see no signs of damage or other issues with the rifle, but it has only fired about 40 rounds so far. I'm currently awaiting delivery of a .50 Beowulf upper to go on another Anderson lower I just completed for that project. Hey, I have to do something with all those stripped lowers I've accumulated :noidea:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    There are many ways to consider this. Many gun fights take at close range and in dim lighting conditions. In many cases you will not be able to effectively use your sights and the old meat on the metal aiming reference is your best shot.
    As I have gotten older, my eyes have gotten older and so I see the red dot as viable for sure at distances in decent light and especially when precision shooting is required. Apparently one can use it also with some night vision setups also. I plan to equip all carry guns with it eventually because of my older eyes.

A major proponent/vender of the RMR on pistols just happens to sell the items, the installation, and training for it and is pushing it for terrorist killing for both civilian and LEO. A major downside to such a scenario is if your gun is drawn and you are not in uniform you are in more danger from responding LEOs than you are from the crazy or terrorist shooting up the place.
    What I was most interested was the use of RMR like sights on pistols without the co-witness. And under gun game conditions it certainly seems to work and might be fine for the real world. The interest here is monetary, because equipping slides with milling cuts requires sending it out for work and also the expense. I am playing around now with an armbrace glock at the moment and will want to put a red dot on it somewhere along the line. I do have a high mount with a short integral co-witness iron sight system for it, but it does sit high.
    Obviously properly milled RMRs set up with silencer iron sights are the best. Only downside is the high front sight that might snag on things and the cost. need to find proper holsters for the set up also.

By the way are there any local smiths now that are set up to do glock slide milling?

After taking a RDS pistol ccw course with Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics, I understand the benefits of shooting/carrying with a RDS like the RMR. Throughout the class we discussed the potential issues of having a red dot pistol, which are similar to any electric optic pistol or rifle, but also looked at ways of preventing the issues and working thru the problems should they arise. Highly recommend his course by the way. Shooting with the dot takes practice and is certianly a learned skill like any other but the reward is fast and accurate shooting.
    The issue of having your gun drawn while LEO shows up needs to be rehearsed before ever getting into or being forced into such a conflict, but that's another thread topic.
    As far as local slide milling, I'm not sure of anyone who does it "in house", most are shipped to a few reputable smiths for cutting and finishing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom