• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had right eye cataract surgery Dec 3rd. So far (using scoped very light recoil rifles ((3 .22 rimfires and 1 300 Blackout with very light suppressed 108gr subsonic loads))), ............. One optometrist said sometimes very weak reading glasses will sharpen up the iron sights for shooting without making the distant vision too bad.

FWIW: I think not only heavy recoil should be avoided but also heavy concussion/muzzel blast: from your guns OR OTHER NEAR SHOOTERS! The blast is actually a high and fast moving pressure wave that directly contacts the eye. Rear directing compensators, SBRs, AR/AK type pistols and Shorty 12ga firearms typically create close high pressure waves.

I hope all mends well.

Gunin4m

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I bought a .450 Bushmaster upper (18" barrel) on sale from Bear Creek Arsenal and assembled onto an Anderson lower with a Geissele SSA trigger and fixed stock. Topped with a Leupold 1.5-5x. I'm waiting for "correct" mags to arrive.
    View attachment 69748

What mags are you going to use?
    I've got a 16 inch upper from Bushmaster that I've had for several years, its become my favorite hunting rifle.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    What mags are you going to use?
    I've got a 16 inch upper from Bushmaster that I've had for several years, its become my favorite hunting rifle.

Not sure, but I've read that mags for the .450 can be problematic so I'm getting ready to test some. I have Bushmaster brand on back order, and an article I read lead me to using Lancer brand 5.56 mags with a special follower made by a company called Tromix...these are currently on order. I also bought some plastic follower inserts I found on ebay...these fit on top of the follower in a 5.56 mag. Haven't tried any, yet.

What mags do you use?

Gunin4m

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Not sure, but I've read that mags for the .450 can be problematic so I'm getting ready to test some. I have Bushmaster brand on back order, and an article I read lead me to using Lancer brand 5.56 mags with a special follower made by a company called Tromix...these are currently on order. I also bought some plastic follower inserts I found on ebay...these fit on top of the follower in a 5.56 mag. Haven't tried any, yet.

What mags do you use?

I'm only using Bushmaster magazines right now. I have tried changing the follower out on 5.56 mags but had feeding problems. Haven't tried the Tromix follower so I'm interested in how it works for you...

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Today refocused 2 optics and re-sighted in 2 light recoil rifles. Again, each needed 2 clicks to re-sight in.

bbentley40

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Decided to start buying the parts to build the upper for my AR pistol (built the lower with Black Friday deals). Going to take a chance on a Bear Creek barrel, they have them on sale right now so got a 10.5" 223 Wylde barrel for $47 shipped. Its a budget barrel.. but this is just going to be a plinking fun gun mainly so figured I would give it a shot.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    So your eyes shifted that far of?

Every optic that has a focus adjustment for the ocular lens, when taken out to the range, had to be re-adjusted so the cross hairs were sharp. All had to be re-focused in the same counter clock wise direction. All now (before I re-adjusted the point of impact) were hitting 1 click higher and 1 click to the right (4 .22 rimfires; 3 sighted at 25yd and 1 sighted at 34yd). A .223 pistol with a 1x Spitfire sight needed refocusing and 2 clicks up (sighted for 34yd).

My rifle mounted thermal needed re-focusing of the display screen. The display screens on both my thermals are noticeably sharper than before. Sunday, weather and guests permitting, I'll take a couple of mild recoil centerfire rifles to a 100yd range and re-focus and re-sight them in.

All I know is that every firearm with an optic so far has needed re-sighting, but not much...a great excuse to go shooting. Unknown is the iron sighted rifles and pistols. Can't see the sights very well at this time. Did fire 5 shots from a .22 pistol at a can 15' away and hit it 5 times, so I felt good about that. Doctor says wait at least a month after both eyes are operated on before determining how iron sights will work for me. I suspect a very mild near vision Rx will sharpen up the sights for shooting.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I woke up at 2:30 this morning, Decided I didn’t like the lighter wood stock on my Century Arms AK,
    4e4180e4bea2095afaa238e3219c3776.jpg

so I peeled it off, sanded it down and stained it
    5f0f4f49bbf0418a873ec359f3b73178.jpg

dfdcfcd08340fb5205064c9c836900a8.jpg

a7fb4ff391e30bc456df85263b4fb8dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sunday: 2 more firearms to refocus and re-sight in after cataract surgery.

Ruger Precision 5.56. No re-sighting, just needed a refocus. Used to be a .75" average grouping rifle at 100yd. It's now a half inch or less!

SIG MPX 9mm. Needed 2 clicks up and 1 click to the right. Took a magnifying glass with me to be able to read the fine print on the adjustment knobs so I could turn them in the right direction.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Took Mom to shoot her pistol at Santa Rosa Shooting Center. She did alright but we need to regroup and focus on fundamentals.

Came home and ordered some goodies for my new-to-me Glock 19x. Extended slide stop, new connector and spring kit, threaded barrel, and 2 more magazines. Next will be 9mm suppressor and suppressor sights.
    6952d404802472e627a8e6a5aecbc508.jpg
    73a027fb123e0a50af8f8f76c014beb1.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I mounted a Vortex Venom on my Glock 34. It was a pretty straightforward installation with the EGW sight mount. I picked up an EGW sight mount for my Gold Cup slide on my 1911. It mounts in the place of the Ellison type sight. No milling the slide. I just have to sight it in then I am ready for the carry optics division.

20181227_183808.jpg

Attachments

• 20181227_183808.jpg
      20181227_183808.jpg
      652.5 KB · Views: 181

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Today I installed a Zev Pro connector, Ghost safety plunger spring, Ghost striker spring, and Glock extended slide stop into my 19x. I played around with the striker spring switching between the 6lb and the 4lb spring and the 4lb makes a significant improvement over the 6lb as far as feel goes. I'm hoping to not have any primer strike issues with the 4lb spring installed but if that proves to be an issue I'll stick the 6lb in and be good with it. Soon, I'll pull the guts out again and do a polish job to improve smoothness.

Feel is improved but nowhere near as good as the Powder River Precision trigger I have installed in my xdm, but then again, it wasn't even near half the cost nor the complexity of the xdm install. An honest assessment, I was expecting better from the Glock upgrades, but not disappointed overall.

Threaded barrel and thread protector should be in within a day or two.

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not really gun related but I received my kabar spork today for my bug out truck bag. Was a little disappointed. The blade of the knife is plastic.

Top Bottom