• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I am not a fan of a shotgun for home defense. There's no doubt buckshot will roll someone up, but it will also blow through every wall in your house.

10.3" AR sbr for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    So John . . . . What ammo are you using in your AR that WILL NOT blow through walls in your house ?? ---- SAWMAN
    ADDED: We're just not gonna agree on this one,are we ??

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's extremely likely that some of the SD/HD shotgun guys will like the 14" semi autos but still endorse the 18" pump guns over the semi guns . . . for reliability.
    A 14" gun using the HK M1 Super90 action would be a winner though. --- SAWMAN

Reliability of the semiauto is the major concern. I know of some people that I trust that are highly knowledgeable LEOs that are testing the Tac-13 and reliability is the number one issue. Possible strong point of some semiautos is a more pleasant-controllable recoil impulse. I have an old winchester semiauto that does kick less than a pump with the same loads. Its tube mag only hold 2 rounds so it is a hunting gun relative to its intended use. It is important for that quick follow up shot if there is more than one target. At close range a centered blast with buckshot into a torso is invariably fatal and the target from what I understand does not usually require another, but it would fire a second time anyway.
    I live alone not counting the dogs. My exterior walls will stop anything short of 50 bmg if for some reason that is a concern. Steel and concrete offer a lot of resistance to a hit from a single bullet.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am not a fan of a shotgun for home defense. There's no doubt buckshot will roll someone up, but it will also blow through every wall in your house.

10.3" AR sbr for me.

I am playing with short barreled ARs. I have one in 7.62x39 with 7 inch barrel. It seems reliable and with the addition of stronger hammer spring will be good to go. The muzzle blast is horrendous. It might be ok as a car gun. I need to see how well it does with 154 grain tula soft point.
    I have also 10.5" 300 blackout upper that may be a better solution. The subsonic loads in 300 blk are about the same power range as 40 S&W and might as well use a glock at close range as a 300 blk so loaded. I will look into the supersonic heavy bullet loads to see if they are viable path to a little more power and reasonable muzzle blast. I am not going down the suppressor pathway.
    Shotguns work and we have used such loads in the US for at least two centuries with great success.

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Something got into my quail and killed all but one. Ordered a green vastlight for my 597 mag, and picked up some more cci 22 wmr. Edit that to apparently I can only use 22lr if it was a coon...

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Remember also - - -> Shorther bbl ='s less velocity ='s less expansion ='s more penetration.
    If my choice for HD were a AR with a .224" bbl I would most likely take a close look at loading a bullet designed for the 22Hornet. There are 30-40gr bullets available with thin jackets. I would load them up as hot as possible.
    Another "expierament" that I would do is with super heavy (long) bullets at just UNDER supersonic (1000fps or so) vels. For this a 9 twist bbl would be great. Adjustable gas would be mandatory. My goal would be to get the bullets to destabilize and yaw/pitch) as fast as possible after hitting a human OR sheetrock. --- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Something got into my quail and killed all but one. Ordered a green vastlight for my 597 mag, and picked up some more cci 22 wmr

Prob damm rats. Goto the hardware store get two of the large rat traps. 2-3$. Bait with peanut butter or raw chicken. If you think its bigger critters hook a dog chain to the trap and put a brick wired on it for a drag. I had this problem once with rabbits. If it's a. Open top enclosure it might have been an owl, had this problem with chickens. Zig zag fishing line over the top that should foul em.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Remember also - - -> Shorther bbl ='s less velocity ='s less expansion ='s more penetration.
    If my choice for HD were a AR with a .224" bbl I would most likely take a close look at loading a bullet designed for the 22Hornet. There are 30-40gr bullets available with thin jackets. I would load them up as hot as possible.
    Another "expierament" that I would do is with super heavy (long) bullets at just UNDER supersonic (1000fps or so) vels. For this a 9 twist bbl would be great. Adjustable gas would be mandatory. My goal would be to get the bullets to destabilize and yaw/pitch) as fast as possible after hitting a human OR sheetrock. --- SAWMAN

Tumbling bullets can devastating, but it is not always dependable. In the 300 blk one would want a pointed bullet with a flat base and very long shank. A 208 gr pointed bullet at 950 fps second is pistol like. I see loads where people can get these bullets up to 1500 fps. Finding bullets that will expand at such velocities a problem. One might be able to modify the bullet to help expansion. I wonder if 170 bullets for the 30-30 would expand.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    A model 1889 Swiss rifle arrived today. Won in auction. First year of production. Low serial number. Excellent bore. Matching numbers. Low price too.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do not know if you saw this video on 230 grain coated softer lead bullets at subsonic velocity in gel. Capture photo below shows gel after two bullets were fired in to it. One left the block and the other is still inside of one of the gel blocks.
    300 gr subsonic 300 AAC.JPG
    Such a bullet will turn, but its takes a little while to do it.

Attachments

• 300 gr subsonic 300 AAC.JPG
      300 gr subsonic 300 AAC.JPG
      50.9 KB · Views: 125

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So John . . . . What ammo are you using in your AR that WILL NOT blow through walls in your house ?? ---- SAWMAN
    ADDED: We're just not gonna agree on this one,are we ??
    194gr Lehigh defense 300blk. It'll blow through walls, but destabilizes rapidly.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Well the gun a day program will be coming to a close tomorrow. Last one Ruger Blackhawk in 45lc AND 45acp! :)

IMG_3619.JPG.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3619.JPG.jpg
      IMG_3619.JPG.jpg
      64.3 KB · Views: 317

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Put Hogue Recoil Absorbing Rubber Mono grip on my new to me Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull. Have the ingredients to load some ammo, and will soon try her out. Looking forward to it!

Ruger Redhawk Hogue Grip (2) redux.jpg

Attachments

• Ruger Redhawk Hogue Grip (2) redux.jpg
      Ruger Redhawk Hogue Grip (2) redux.jpg
      48.3 KB · Views: 370

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Picked up 2 nursing carts cheap. Put my countertop and a little tacticool black on it for a reloading bench.

Attachments

• 20191116_104406.jpg
      20191116_104406.jpg
      545.8 KB · Views: 177
    • 20191116_105238.jpg
      20191116_105238.jpg
      694.1 KB · Views: 168

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Picked up the rest of the parts I needed to assemble an AR 9mm pistol. Test fire tomm. ***** Almost had a kaboom, the thread pitch on this barrel accepts 5.56 flash hiders.....ya see where this is going. Anyway, mag has last round stop and cycles the and ejects the rounds. Using a magwell insert and colt asc mags. Installed heavy 9mm buffer.
    20191117_195751.jpg

Almost a kaboom.
    20191117_195854.jpg

Attachments

• 20191117_195751.jpg
      20191117_195751.jpg
      755.4 KB · Views: 255
    • 20191117_195854.jpg
      20191117_195854.jpg
      744 KB · Views: 263
    Top Bottom