• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Went kind of through some of my ammo stash and found some boxes of ammo I no longer had firearms to use it in. Contacted a buddy of mine that had been wanting that type of ammo and told him he could have it at way less than retail price. Also had a box of other ammo and contacted another buddy and told him he could have it free of charge.

Ahh your so generous. But the real question is what have you done to offend someone today?

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yesterday, I stripped down my brother's frankenstine mixmaster sks to clean it up for him. From they looks of it, it has most likely not been cleaned in a long time. The gas piston was very coated with powder residue crud and barely moved in its gas tube. Got the parts soaking in mineral spirits at the moment. Will most likely take them out, dry them and reasemmble sometime today.

sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yesterday, I stripped down my brother's frankenstine mixmaster sks to clean it up for him. From they looks of it, it has most likely not been cleaned in a long time. The gas piston was very coated with powder residue crud and barely moved in its gas tube. Got the parts soaking in mineral spirits at the moment. Will most likely take them out, dry them and reasemmble sometime today.

Drinking vodka while doing this I presume? If not you are wrong!

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I haven't done much gun stuff other than pack it all up in the past couple weeks. I didn't realize just how much I had until it had to go into boxes....

But Sunday I did work on something, so that progress can be made on a project while I'm moving. I took a cheap 1911/2011 optic mount, sanded down the logo, and cut it into what will eventually be a thumb shield. Yesterday I shipped the gun and parts off to a gunsmith to do the machine work needed. The timing works out pretty well because he should only have it for 2-3 weeks and I won't have time to shoot during that time frame anyway.

I started out with this:

XvfKHnN.jpg

Cut it down into this. Once I get it back, I plan to cut it down to something similar to what the red line indicates:

IPjBZbc.jpg

It's going to serve this purpose. It will mount between the thumb rest and the frame, to keep my thumb from rubbing the slide while it cycles:

gw3xx8m.jpg

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Very cool brant, that will be a nice feature.

I didn't realize how much I liked the thumb rest until I picked up my open gun again after shooting Limited for a while. My grip just felt so locked in with the thumb rest, kinda pinching the gun between by thumb and left index finger under the trigger guard. I could have used a thumb rest like this, with the shield already built in, but I prefer the CR Speed thumb rest, like the one in the last photo above.

Gas_Pedal_Duster_2_large.jpg

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After disassembling and cleaning my brother's sks I reassembled and brought it back to him. Did not get to test fire it but the mechanics of it are feeling much smoother now.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Picked my tikka up today! Is it November 22nd yet? 7lb, 12oz no glass.... waiting on DNZ rings. The Bell and Carlson stock is niceee
    35af6f0fafb29adb1f4eb0e88f214f9a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I did this yesterday. This bench is going into the new house temporarily, until I can find good deals on the cabinets and such I want to put in my new gun room. BTW, the top of that bench is HEAVY and very unwieldy.

7UF9fc6.jpg

nWdmjrd.jpg

Last edited:

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just saw an article that states FL Senator Bill Nelson introduced a bill to create National Gun Registry. He is pictured with the Parkland cry babies. What a douche bag.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Old Bill has lost his mind, they have to keep a sitter/nurse to remind him what his name is.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    a national registry of FBI agents that fail to do their job would work better

or a list of mentally ill reports.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I did this yesterday. This bench is going into the new house temporarily, until I can find good deals on the cabinets and such I want to put in my new gun room.

Keep us posted, I am looking for some of the same things. I am just about finished with the building to house it all. Picked up some In-Line Fabrication items to change between single stage presses since I like the items for my Dillon.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    opened a brand new bulk box of Speer 9mm and knocked a big dent in it. Brought 2 9s and my .45. Had to stop shooting my thumb hurt from loading mags. Worked on accuracy first then moved to transitions, then speed and transitions. A good morning...got a little rust cleaned off anyway.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Holster for my S&W Shield .380 EZ arrived. Now I can carry a backup hog gun with a higher magazine capacity. Sawman will feel safer now, which has been my goal in life.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Keep us posted, I am looking for some of the same things. I am just about finished with the building to house it all. Picked up some In-Line Fabrication items to change between single stage presses since I like the items for my Dillon.

I use PatMarlins RockDock system to swap between my 1050 and LCT presses, but I rarely use my LCT these days. I think I'm going to just keep the 1050 mounted on the bench in the new house. I'm not sure if you saw, but I posted this a few weeks ago. I used sketchup to model what I think I want the new room to look like.

I'm thinking I'll use slatwall between the countertop and upper cabinets, to easily store tools and regularly used items. I'm planning on hitting up some of the surplus stores in Mobile and Pcola to see if I can find the cabinets for a decent price. I may have to modify the design based on what I can find.

What's going to be frustrating is working out of boxes until I get the room setup like I want. I'll setup the old bench, so I have a place to mount my press, but I'm going to put as little on it as possible. I don't want to unpack everything, then have to move it all again to re-organize when I get the cabinets and such installed.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I got an email earlier today from Gary Natale with Gans Guns. My slide and frame were delivered to him on Thursday and he finished the work this morning. I'll need to move the thumb rest forward a little to fit my hands, then I can figure out exactly how I want to trim down the thumb shield. I think I'm going to buy a small, cheap benchtop belt sander to make the process easier. I haven't decided if I'm going to buy a silver thumb rest, or keep using the black one (I had the black one left over from one of my open guns I sold last year).

It was a little more expensive to use Gans, because I had to ship a serialized part (and add insurance), but it's a MUCH quicker turnaround than any local gunsmiths I've tried to use in the past. If you need 1911 or 2011 work done, check out http://www.gansguns.com/

Oo9wnTh.jpg

Top Bottom