• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Spent about 3 hours yesterday and another hour today adjusting a set of Skinner sights on my Marlin 39A out a ERGC. I filed the front sight til I was blue in the face, but finally got it done. Still shooting a tad to the right but I forgot to bring the tools to drift the front sight a bit. Took my neighbor with me today and shot his new Mossberg shotgun. A good day all around!

Funny, I was shooting pistols next to a fellow who was filing the front sight on his rifle at ERGC yesterday. He was a very nice fellow who came over and took a look at some of my pistols....

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Funny, I was shooting pistols next to a fellow who was filing the front sight on his rifle at ERGC yesterday. He was a very nice fellow who came over and took a look at some of my pistols....

I think I met a guy next to me with some pistols! LOL Real nice guy he was....cheers!

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I shot a USPSA match in Vinegar Bend on Saturday. Not a great match, but it was consistent enough to get me the overall win. You can tell how bad it was based on how much I talked to myself during it. Also, I've never had to bleep a match video this much...

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    20170908_200433.jpeg

20180221_201345.jpeg

It still needs to be polished and tuned but all the parts are installed and function. The finger groove helps support the weight of the slide. It should make a good competition gun or carry gun. Work in progress.

Attachments

• 20170908_200433.jpeg
      20170908_200433.jpeg
      152.4 KB · Views: 205
    • 20180221_201345.jpeg
      20180221_201345.jpeg
      229.3 KB · Views: 184

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sighted in my Mattel AR today. Mild panic at first when no bullet holes showed in the paper. More panic when I moved closer to shoot and still no holes. Then I noticed where a bullet had nicked the paper on the bottom edge. I simply didn't have the front sight post screwed in low enough. Got it sighted in. Groups with good bullets (Hornady 55gr fmj) and my eyes were typical...looks like a 2-3 MOA rifle with iron sights and M193 type ammo. A better shooter should do better.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Bruce, forgot to tell you that them Marauder bbls did not have any of them spiralie do-dad thingy's in them.
    That is why they were issued to the Sea Bee's in 64'ish.
    Also . . . using blanks,you could shoot anything that you could fit down the bbl but the old fashioned "BB's" were best. That is where the "BARRRAP,BARRRRRAP,BARRRRRRRP" comes from.
    You need to spend more time on the ARForum. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Worked on getting M160 108gr frangible bullets to cycle the XCR-L 300 Blackout pistol. Now to load up test batches of functioning loads to do accuracy testing. Some guns love the frangibles and some hate them...we'll see.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What are those bullets made out of Bruce ?? Are these going sub or super ??
    Betcha they would really like to be moly coated. ( impact plated) ---- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Made of compressed Bakelite and lead powder. 4 of us bought 60,000 + of them about 8 years ago. I am down to about 20,000 left of the 30,000 I got for myself.

I shoot them both sub and supersonic.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    So these bullets must be fairly long unless they have a bunch of lead powder . . . right ??
    What max vels can you shoot these at ?? Wondering ---> 10 twist @ 2850 or so ??? --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    So these bullets must be fairly long unless they have a bunch of lead powder . . . right ??
    What max vels can you shoot these at ?? Wondering ---> 10 twist @ 2850 or so ??? --- SAWMAN

Nope, about the size of M2 ball bullets and weigh around 108gr. Original military velocity was ~1300fps used for shooting at tanks and a special airplane nicknamed Pinball that had flashers that lit up when the aluminum armored plane was hit. With 4 of us shooting them in a variety of firearms, the sweet spot in supersonic accuracy has been in the 1500-1900fps range. My FAL loves them. While I've not chronographed them in the FAL, I'd estimate they are going 2200fps. With the FAL turned for max gas, they function 100%.

Nicely accurate subsonic in the Blackout. Not enough oomph to cycle a semi auto though. I use Bullseye for those; a friend uses AA #2. Used to use Unique, but it didn't meter as well as the finer grain size powders.

In one test, using a 1 in 10 twist 30/06, we found when 3000fps was exceeded, they blew apart in front of the muzzle.

Some firearms love them for accuracy and some don't. My FAL loves them. A friend's FAL (same make of bbl) hates them. A friend bought a couple hundred and passed them out to experiment with more or less as a joke. After those successful experiments, we bought 2 orders of 30,000+ each order at about 4 cents each. So many cans of them that the Milton Post Office asked if I'd come get them as there wasn't room in the delivery jeep. I backed up to the loading dock and employees loaded my vehicle.

Later on, another company had a few cans of them and we bought about another 8-10 thousand, all they had, before the greedy people got them.

Never had any leading problems. The first few patches through when cleaning will be black. Penetrate well in wood boards; blow apart when hitting steel. Work fine on armadillos. Wear the bore about like cast bullets; in other words they wear the bore much less than jacketed bullets (less powder and softer bullet).

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If I really pushed them in my single shot 300BLK with it's 1:7 twist bbl,say 2350 - 2400fps wondering if they would come apart. As you know,it is the rotational not the forward velocity that pulls them apart. ---- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Yes, but the forward velocity is part of the math that determines the rpm. Use the formula muzzle velocity times 720 divided by twist = bullet rpm. http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/calculating-bullet-rpm-spin-rates-stability/

2400 x 720/7 = 246,857 bullet rpm
    2400 x 720/8 = 216,000 bullet rpm
    3000 x 720/10 = 216,000 bullet rpm

Of course actual chronographing and bullet observation would be needed. Our testing was simply increasing the powder charge and measuring velocity while shooting at a target with a bolt action 30/06 rifle. We quit when the bullet vaporized on its way to the target. Not a very extensive test, as only one rifle was used...we were thinking velocity, not rpm.

Our main testing has been towards 1) Accurate subsonic regardless of ability to function a semi auto (mainly firing single shot and bolt action firearms suppressed). 2) Accurate supersonic in bolt action and single shot rifles (enough velocity for shooting at 100yd or more without a lot of bullet drop). 3) Accurate supersonic with ability to function a semi auto for plinking.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Finally got around to hanging a new target my brother got for us. He’s had it at his house for a couple weeks now, I picked it up and tried it out today. Good times.
    Edited because I Forgot the pic
    50711ec2717fd724530d8c54900a7145.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Did some maintenance this evening, changing gas rings, cleaning the BCGs, and replacing a stripped out screw on the rmr of my ccw. Nothing too fun but good PM nonetheless. I figured after a couple thousand rounds it was time to clean...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom